CBR1100XX.org Forum

XX Luggage+Rack options

CBRFanatic

Background:

I have a set of chase harper soft saddlebags that have worked well for me over the years . However, they have scratched up both sides of the plastic below the seat on my CBR1000F (I haven't used them on my XX because of this.) Now that I have the XX, I'm trying to sell my CBR1000F and plan to include them in the sale.

Now the confusion starts:

In looking at luggage options for the XX, I must be really stupid because I can't figure out exactly what I need, and what will rack/luggage combo will work together without having fitment problems, etc. Additionally, while I don't mind paying for quality, I currently have a limited budget.

Options I'm considering:

1. SWmotech sideracks with renntec toprack. Is this a working combination, or will only the SWmotech top-rack work with the sideracks?

2. The whole Givi Monolock/Monokey thing is really confusing. I don't know which ones need an adapter rack or not or, if an adapter is included with the case, do I still need an adapter if I'm using a non-Givi rack system(?). As an example, I think I like the E450 topcase, but the description on twisted throttle.com indicates that "this case will not fit Givi monokey racks without an adapter (not included), nor will it fit the E-series topracks" (what...???... it's an E series case!?!)

3. I'm trying to balance storage capacity with price and size. I really like the look of the E41's and they don't seem overly large (41L/case), but they are one of more expensive cases in Givi's lineup. Is there any hope of getting decent looking cases/racks that won't cost almost a grand? What combinations of cases do you guys recommend for the occasional 3-4 day getaway?

4. Anyone here have a chance to evaluate the JC Whitney case? It looks like a topcase, but could it be used as side cases too?

Shit, at this point, I don't know whether to go cheap and get a useable (but ugly or small), or to buy quality pieces a little at a time.... I'm just so confused...

Best bang for the buck...Ventura rack/back system have one for Ducati Monster.

My Bird has Corbin Beetle bags with those and a Wolfman tailbag I'm good for 5 days before Laundry Mat.

Beetle bags are $1100 so thats not the cheap way out but the Ventura is a supper system that with two bags carries lots of stuff and when you remove the trip bags your only left with a small rear rack that is handy and not unattractive.

I'll add a plug for the Ventura system. I just installed one (after having it in the closet for a couple of years) and like it a lot. I have two of the large bags and the small "Sport Bag" and they handle about everything for me.

I'll add a plug for the Ventura system. I just installed one (after having it in the closet for a couple of years) and like it a lot. I have two of the large bags and the small "Sport Bag" and they handle about everything for me.

Just gone down the ventura route myself, never did like the look of full hard luggage on an XX but the Ventura is big enough, easy to remove and doesn't cost the earth.

Stu

Best bang for the buck...Ventura rack/back system have one for Ducati Monster.

My Bird has Corbin Beetle bags with those and a Wolfman tailbag I'm good for 5 days before Laundry Mat.

Beetle bags are $1100 so thats not the cheap way out but the Ventura is a supper system that with two bags carries lots of stuff and when you remove the trip bags your only left with a small rear rack that is handy and not unattractive.

You're right, the beetle bags are WAY too expensive for my limited budget. Pretty nice, though.

I did a quick search and found that the ventura are soft bags. Not that soft bags are a bad thing, that's the only type I've ever had. I'm just thinking that since I get to start over from scratch with this touring setup, I'd considering a waterproof(?) hardbag system to avoid having to double garbage bag all my clothes, etc.

The Givi's are waterproof, right? Or is it still advisable to pack in plastic bags?

The Ventura site features a XX on the front page... how nice.

However, I can't give up the passenger seat. I think the price of hard bags (it's plastic for chrissake) is obscene but there seem to be no decent alternatives. I haven't found anything that seems better than SWMotech + Givi.

I like the look of side bags (specifically the E41s) and the fact that they would keep mass lower. But a single E52 topcase would be cheaper, and would give my passenger a little more piece of mind (and a backrest.)

Any opinions on side vs top case?

The Givi's are waterproof, right? Or is it still advisable to pack in plastic bags?

Yes... Givi cases are very watertight. I've ridden through unbelievably heavy rainstorms and everything has stayed completely dry.

I prefer the SW-Motech setup because the racks themselves can be completely removed in less than a minute. Actually, I leave the racks attached to the Givi cases so that I just remover the racks when I don't want the bags on the bike.

SW-MOTECH

Article about my installation a few years ago.

SW-Motech install

The Ventura site features a XX on the front page... how nice.

However, I can't give up the passenger seat. I think the price of hard bags (it's plastic for chrissake) is obscene but there seem to be no decent alternatives. I haven't found anything that seems better than SWMotech + Givi.

I like the look of side bags (specifically the E41s) and the fact that they would keep mass lower. But a single E52 topcase would be cheaper, and would give my passenger a little more piece of mind (and a backrest.)

Any opinions on side vs top case?

You don't have to give up the passenger seat. The single large bag can be turned around to face the rear and leave the seat open. You only have to use the seat with two large bags zipped together.

My current system consists of a Givi Wingrack (monokey system) with a pair of E360's for side cases and an E460 top case with optional top rack. I think I have about 800 total into that. Capacity is all you need for even two up on a weeks worth of riding. In addition to riding gear, I carry a laptop and a whole bunch of misc tools, Honda cleaner, rags, chain lube, etc, etc, and the bags are by no means stuffed. If I had it to do over again, I'd use the same set of bags but go with the SW Mototech rack system for reasons already stated. I can live with the looks of my wingrack and it really isn't all that difficult to pull off but, once you get used to the convenience of running around with a top box, or a pair of side bags, it is hard to break the habit.

One really nice thing about the Givi system is that, with a new mounting kit, you can transfer the rack system and cases to your next bike. I have another Wingrack on my VFR and can outfit it the same way. I like the idea of only having to buy the luggage and rack once. Get a new bike? Just get a new mounting kit and Bob's your uncle.

+ another on the Ventura.

I saw a few sets at SeXXt and I'm hooked.

Jim (XXti) was selling his Rentec the other day and I moved too slowly on it because when he mentioned that he was going to Ventura, I went to their site and knew right away that was the right combination for me.

Now to find someone who will discount it for me!

My 2 cents, on my '02 Bird I have an E-460 top box with a back rest, brake lite, 2 E-360 side bags, wing rack, 3 removable liners and have travelled 90,000 kms mostly touring with the bags on. The soft liners makes motel stop overs easy. I don't mind the look of the tail end etc with the rack on and the boxes off, other do. For me it was worth the $ which was considerable. The newer system can be coloured coded to your bike, and open from the top as well as the side. Stock pipes or slip ons don't bother the system. They are water proof and reasonably stable at speed/high speeds/ cross winds and my wife like to hold on to the handles and lean back. It works for me. Try the UK Bird site, you will get many opinions and some pictures.

Thanks for the information guys!

Based on some of your responses, a lot of you seem to like the soft luggage. I wouldn't mind keeping the chase harper soft bags I am currently using if I could find a way of mounting them so they didn't scratch the hell out of the plastic. The setup is this: two straps connect the bags across the rear seat and each bag is anchored to rear footpeg bracket and also connected to each other by the taillight. During installation and during trips, the bags are in contact wiht the plastic under the seat and have rubbed scratches in my CBR1K. Not acceptable on the XX!

During some of my initail searches, I thought the tubular frame of the five-stars rack would keep the soft bags extended away from the bike preventing scratching. However, since I didn't see it listed anywhere, I emailed a couple of vendors only to find out that it is not made anymore.

I'm not sure if the SW motech side rack (being flat and not tubular) would cause any problems with the connecting straps between the bags. The last thing I'd want is to have them cut through a connecting strap during a long trip.

Hence, my "leaning toward" givi hard bags. If there is another rack system that you guys know of that may work with my current soft bags, I'm all ears... after all, it would be the least expensive option.

Some guys with soft bags apply self-stick plastic or tape over the rear cowl when using their luggage. You might want to consider it if you like your current system.

Some guys with soft bags apply self-stick plastic or tape over the rear cowl when using their luggage. You might want to consider it if you like your current system.

I think you should sell the Chase Harper set to me (cheap) and buy the Givi's for yourself !!

I have plenty of the Vinyl tape to put on the plastics when traveling

John01XX

The SW-motech racks look like they would work well. I have the GIVI luggage and racks and it takes me about 20 minutes to remove or install the racks. They do look kind of ugly when you don't have the cases on. I love the GIVI cases though. You can carry a lot of stuff and its easy to unlock them and carry them into wherever you are staying. :icon_biggrin:

Got hold of VFR800 or (Interceptor) Panniers - Second Hand, and then did a lot of searching to find the right sketches for the mounting brackets from Honda.

Honda does have a OEM panniers set available for the XX, but it ain't cheap at all.

That's why I got as much info as possible with regards to the mounting bracket. After a couple of tries I managed to get a mounting bracket made up and fitted. I personally prefer the OEM pannier look to the GIVI setup. I think the VFR panniers are 34L panniers, thus smaller than the GIVI's.

I did however have to move the rear pegs forward, to allow a decent riding position for the pillion. This was also not a major problem to get done. I did post a writeup about what I did earlier. I think it was under OEM Panniers

My 2 cents, on my '02 Bird I have an E-460 top box with a back rest, brake lite, 2 E-360 side bags, wing rack, 3 removable liners and have travelled 90,000 kms mostly touring with the bags on. The soft liners makes motel stop overs easy. I don't mind the look of the tail end etc with the rack on and the boxes off, other do. For me it was worth the $ which was considerable. The newer system can be coloured coded to your bike, and open from the top as well as the side. Stock pipes or slip ons don't bother the system. They are water proof and reasonably stable at speed/high speeds/ cross winds and my wife like to hold on to the handles and lean back. It works for me. Try the UK Bird site, you will get many opinions and some pictures.

+1 on checking out the UK bird site there seems to be a lot of guys on there that tour with racks etc. I have a Non Fango top bpx and panniers on my 98 XX but they were on the bike when I got her and have no idea on cost, in fact a few people on the UK site I think :icon_think: said that they are not made anymore :icon_wall: - pity if that is the case as they are not bad gear, the rack system is similar looking to the SW one but made out of oval steel tube but is not as easily removable - strong though and the missus uses it to hang onto as we are riding when the side bags aren't on

[attachmentid=1735]I dunno, tried to upload from my computer, didn't work, used a photo site, too small, then it uploaded from my computer afterall. I'm so confused! :icon_confused:

how about this, a sattelite photo of .6 in Sebring................................click!

During some of my initail searches, I thought the tubular frame of the five-stars rack would keep the soft bags extended away from the bike preventing scratching. However, since I didn't see it listed anywhere, I emailed a couple of vendors only to find out that it is not made anymore.

I believe GIVI system is a top notch luggage option for bikes. You choose your combination of cases, mounting rack system and get the appropriate hardware for your bike. In order to use a single key for all cases, they need to be same style (I'm sure their web site tells you which ones work together). I have an older 52 which I use most of the time with a top rack. I also have a wingrack if I needed to attach the other two cases too (46). Two 46s are plenty enough for as his and hers and the top case to throw in all the other stuff in like in a trunk or keep it empty to place a pair of helmets, gloves at places where you don't want to carry your helmets with you.

When I mounted my top rack, I used spacers to locate the bars away from the plastic so it also serves as a protector for if I were to use the soft panniers (Oxford). This is the picture I could find somehow shows how far they are mounted form the plastic.

[attachmentid=1736]

I tour solo or with my wife and have found that the GIVI Wingrack setup works well. I transfered the wingrack from my FJ1100 after using it for 10 years. I only had to buy the adapters for the XX.

On long trips I use my old E45s- these are huge and bulbous. When I get to a place I am staying at for a while [or while at home in the city], I use one of the bags as a top box. These bags hold 2 helmets plus a jacket. These bags are completely water proof, even in downpours [i live in Vancouver and this does happen].

So- Givis are ugly [mostly because the XX body work forces the bags to stick out further than they might] but very practical.

I wouldn't mind keeping the chase harper soft bags I am currently using if I could find a way of mounting them so they didn't scratch the hell out of the plastic.

What I did was get some of that rubber-like shelf liner, like the stuff they use

in RV shelves to keep stuff from sliding around. I cut a piece long enough to

run under the seat and drape over the sides enough to cover the plastic where

the bags touch it. The mats are very soft and do not mar the finish of the bike

and they help keep the bags from shifting around. Has worked for me for years;

give it a try and see what you think. It's an inexpensive solution.