CBR1100XX.org Forum

front tire change

sokanxx

i will be getting my metzler mi/z6 combo on monday. i rode the dunlops to the cord today. any ways i was wondering what you guys do to get the front wheel off, how do you hold up the bike. i dont have a stand for the front, i have access to a tire changer so thats no problem but how the hell do you guys brace the bike when you take the front wheel off?

I take the lowers off, and with the bike on the center stand, I have someone sit on the pillion to get the front wheel off the ground. Then I put blocks (4x6) and pieces (1x4) of wood under the oil pan to hold it there. Then I'm damn careful not to knock it off the wood while I do what I have to do with the front wheel or forks.

thats what i do. i lift the rear up while it is on the center stand and have my wife slide some wood under the bike. i don't take off any panels. i actually just did this a couple weeks ago. had both front and rear off at the same time. i took the rear off first, then the front. when i got the new tires on rims, i put the front back on first, then the rear. just don't knock it while its balancing on the wood and center stand. i also put a jack stand under the rear swingarm just incase. bike looks funky without wheels and tires on.

Same type thing.

Put the bike on the center stand. Either get someone to sit in the pillion position to lift the front, or if I am desperate, put a jack under the oilpan. I always protect the oil pan with a piece of wood and a shop towel.

Never lift the front any higher than needed, or start compressing the rear suspension when lifting.

For the front, I loosen the axle first, then put the bike on the stand. Remove the fender (4 allens) and at least one caliper. I then pull the wheel and reinstall the caliper. I don't like hanging brake parts on the hoses.

Don't forget to get some blue locktite for when you reinstall the caliper bolts.

If you are doing both wheels at once, you can still use the centerstand, remove the front wheel and lower the bike down onto the front forks on shop towels. I don't like doing this. I have two young helpers in the house, things seem to go wrong when they assist. :icon_biggrin:

I cut two 4X4's to the right height to put under the front forks while on the centerstand.

I've taken both wheels off numerous times this way no problems.

For removing the forks I strap to the ceiling in the basement and a jack under the oil pan.

I've had both wheels off at the same time too. Centerstand, take off rear, standard hydraulic floor jack under the oil pan, jack up just enough to get the front off. I then used my tie downs and strung them across a joist in the ceiling of the garage for extra support connected to the handle bars with my canyon dancer, just in case. Wasn't worried about anyone touching the bike, since it was just me working out there.

I'm with squareman357.

If you just work on the front tire, just put a jack under the oil pan and lift it a bit.

Front comes right up and back stays on the floor.

It's not REAL solid, but good enough to work on.

Guest rockmeupto125

Under near perfect conditions, you guys will be alright.

I would never trust the centerstand with two wheels off unless someone was standing next to the bike that knew what was going on. A little lift the wrong way on the handlebars is all it would take to dump it off the stand.

And nosing down to the floor with the fork tubes is just plain scary to me. All those tubes have to do is lose traction for one instant, and the whole shebang will roll forward and sideways to the tune of $$$$$$$$$$$. That centerstand don't lock.

Just an advisement to be really cautious with this, and check out ALL the shit that can go wrong when you are setting it up.

Under near perfect conditions, you guys will be alright.

I would never trust the centerstand with two wheels off unless someone was standing next to the bike that knew what was going on. A little lift the wrong way on the handlebars is all it would take to dump it off the stand.

And nosing down to the floor with the fork tubes is just plain scary to me. All those tubes have to do is lose traction for one instant, and the whole shebang will roll forward and sideways to the tune of $$$$$$$$$$$. That centerstand don't lock.

Just an advisement to be really cautious with this, and check out ALL the shit that can go wrong when you are setting it up.

I truly understand the need for caution, but since I usually don't have a second set of hands helping me, I've had to figure out ways to do stuff solo. I am VERY cautious when doing this because I know what could happen, but it's been the best way for me to do it alone.

I truly understand the need for caution, but since I usually don't have a second set of hands helping me, I've had to figure out ways to do stuff solo. I am VERY cautious when doing this because I know what could happen, but it's been the best way for me to do it alone.

$99 for another set of hands, Handy Stands...

IPB Image

IPB Image

$99 for another set of hands, Handy Stands...

IPB Image

IPB Image

Those "spool-less"? And where do you get them?

now this is super high tech. got my bike last saturday, changed my tires friday. hung an anvil on the rear of the bike and then used a strap on the rear attached to the floor to lift the front tire. after getting the wheel off i put the forks on jack stands and removed the anvil. had the tires back on 4 hours later.

-b

i will be getting my metzler mi/z6 combo on monday. i rode the dunlops to the cord today. any ways i was wondering what you guys do to get the front wheel off, how do you hold up the bike. i dont have a stand for the front, i have access to a tire changer so thats no problem but how the hell do you guys brace the bike when you take the front wheel off?

:icon_angel:I take and put the bike up on the centerstand and then take my 3 ton floor jack and slide it onder the headertubes like the dealer does when they work on it. I then do the usual removal of the front fender and calipers to allow removal. If I am doing the front and the rear at the same time I remove the rear wheel first and then place a jack stand under the swingarm and then do the same procedure described above for the front.

Find a fat wench to sit on the pillion until finished!!

Well what i ended up doing was putting the bike on its center stand, then used a small scissor jack on the oil pan to get the front wheel just off the ground. i took the front fender off and slid the front wheel out. this system seemed to work pretty good!