CBR1100XX.org Forum

Hyperpro and oil

MiDNiTXX

The HYPERPRO Combi kits come with a complete package that includes front and rear springs, and the correct fork oil for the application.

They supply 2.5wt for the XX and the bike handles very well with that weight fork oil

I'm confused too :???: . Why change the oil weight that much with the stock valving? This is just a spring swap, no valves?

Seems it would be waaay underdamped with 2.5 weight in there

But any suggestion what weight oil to put in them? Do I have to get it from honda?

The answer to that question IMO, would be 10w, which is stock. You don't have to buy it from Honda, any 10w fork oil will do.

I'm confused too :???: . Why change the oil weight that much with the stock valving? This is just a spring swap' date=' no valves?

Seems it would be waaay underdamped with 2.5 weight in there.quote']

I don't know why the 2.5wt works with the progressive springs but I weigh around 240, have Givi bags on the bike, and the ride is VERY smooth and VERY steady.

The stock springs are progressive wound, right? From the very little research I've done so far, I thought most aftermarket springs were single-rate wound.

I was at Greg's last Saturday mapping out a strategy for modding my forks. I have some 1.05 springs on order, and we plan to open a bleed orifice slightly, and remove a shim from the compression valve stack, and change to 5wt oil. I was thinking, well if it comes out slightly underdamped, I can always go back to 10wt.

Well I left the oil alone for now and simply replaced the springs.

Anyone interested in my opinion of the change...

The nose dive when I brake is alot more subtle now, as with coming off the throttle (that used to piss me off). Also coming down from a wheelie is alot less jarring. The front end seems more solid on turns, but then again I am not an aggresive rider. It took 10 minutes since I didn't change the oil.

I recently received the Hyperpro front and rear spring kit. It came with 2.5wt oil, which does look a bit thin. However, I started by just changing the springs and riding for a while on them. The front springs are progressive and have some preload already dialed in because they are 253mm long instead of the stock 223mm. I used the same preload tube. The front didn't skip as much as the stock, but was still too stiff on compression. Yesterday, I put in the 2.5wt fork oil and re adjusted the rear preload to suit my weight, Givi bags and passenger. The rear spring was compressed from 227mm to 213mm- this gives me 6mm static sag, and 25mm sag with me fully clothes and with 2 Givi bags on. I also get 53mm of sag fully loaded with my passenger.

I don't know yet how it will feel at speed, but will find out on our weekend run from Vancouver to Kelowna for the Sportbike rally. Will let you know how it feels.

BTW: Honda :twisted: should be ashamed of the way they designed this suspension system. NO preload or damping adjustments, you have to remove the front wheel to take out the fork oil [why not just an easily accesible tap on the forks?]. You have to remove the gas tank to get to those puny preload rings on the rear shock so you can punch the shit out of them to adjust preload. And- no comp damping adjustment.

Hopefully, just the Hyperpro springs and fork oil will be a good enough improvement for my sport TOURING kind of riding.

TimXX

• 2 months later...

Tim----you never got back to us with the findings on your spring, oil change. Did you install the rear Hyperpro spring as well? I just got the set in today---should do the install before long---so any information you can provide relative to your findings will be greatly appreciated. Thanks---happy trails kel

isn't there a thread that talked about step by step procedures and where to buy the springs and all. I'm going to do this and I need some more info, but I can't remember if it was here or on the old board.

I've been experimenting quite a bit with both the stock valving, springs and aftermarket valve sets. It makes sense to me to go with progressive springs and 2.5 wt. oil even though I haven't tried it. The stock system uses a heavily damped fork to make up for a light spring so if the spring is now stronger...less damping from lighter oil should work out fine. Remember, aftermarket valves ALL have larger ports to flow more oil and most recommend a lighter shim stack than the stock set-up. (faster reaction, less damping)

Carlos, I opened up the orifice in the comp. vlv. assembly from a 1mm to a 1.3mm, I didn't drill a hole in the valve itself. Since I have a spare set, I can fool with it with no worries. No real difference from that small of a change.

Just changing to a 1.0 Kg set of straight wound springs and using 5wt. oil is a big improvement.

Recently I did a little stiction experiment. I disassembled a set of '01 forks with less than 1000 miles on them. Even with the damper and spring removed, the fork resisted movement. I didn't have a Chatillon gage with me but I'd say it is enough to attribute to the lack of compliance over small washboard-like asphalt anomalies. The fork tube isn't very smooth so the wiper and fork seal grip the shit out of it. Hence the polishing recommendation by DK. With the wiper and fork seal removed...all resistance is gone. Smooth as butta. So, out comes the paper & buffing compound.

As an R&D project for a first time fork tuner, I have learned much and spent extra dollars. Finding the balance between a compliant, comfortable ride and stability at speed is my goal and I'm pretty close. I won't be satisfied until it's as good as it can be.

1997 & '98 models have different fork internals than '99 and later XX's and react differently to oil viscosity changes.

G2

kg4fku----I don't know where the thread you are talking about is--but because of it I went to White Buffalo Racing for the set (Front springs, rear spring and fork oil) They were excellent with me---good price, special order---delivery right on time---can't beat that. Their toll free phone # is (866) 249-3354. Their web address is www.whitebuffaloracing.com

G2---thanks for sharing the information. Much appreciated--happy trails kel

Hi Kel,etc.

Yes I installed the front and rear Hyperpro springs and put 2.5wt oil in the forks. A big improvement in the ride. There is less harshness in the front and the sag is better now.

Sag in mm Front Sag Rear Sag

no weight 0 0

Bike Alone 15 6

Tim + 2 bags 27 23

Tim+Barb + 2 bags 29 53

Ideal with rider(s) is 25-35mm

The bike seems to handle better, especially on rough roads.

The only problem I have is that the rear preload is SO DIFFICULT :evil: to change that I set it overhard for solo riding so that it was OK for 2 up fully loaded riding-and I don't change it.

I definitely reccommend this setup as a fairly inexpensive fix.

I have recently received Hyperpro's rear shock with hydraulic remote preload adjustment and rebound and compression damping adjustment. I have not installed it yet [our riding season is just about over and I am waiting until it is before I install it] and I have a few questions that I need answered before I do.

I probably will not know how this shock works until next April.

Tim

Thank you guys----for each bit of information. It really does help when you have never been down 'this road'-------happy trails kel

• 3 months later...

blkbrdrydr, why are you happier with your 5 wt oil vs. your previous 2.5 wt and progressive fork springs. I just got my springs (hyperpro), had to additionally order the 2.5 wt, but after reading you post, I am considering 5 wt instead. Thanks Steve