CBR1100XX.org Forum

30K plus on the Iridiums

willxx23

I was expecting alot more corrosion.......

IPB Image

IPB Image

Maybe I shoulda just left them in...... :icon_think: :icon_lol:

Thanks Tom :icon_thumbsup:

I'll buy you plugs when you get 30K on yer Bird. :icon_stickpoke::icon_wink:

not bad, I must of had a bad set in my bike from the factory... I noticed at just over 8k miles on my bike it would take an extra second of cranking to fire up and the idle wasn't as smooth as it was.. I pulled the plugs and the little irridium tip sticking straight out the bottom was pretty much 1/2 way gone :icon_eek: I ordered some new and when comparing them I couldn't believe the difference. No problems with this set yet at 16.5k miles

The real question is how much unburned gas was getting past those plugs along with lost power and mileage. I can usually smell unburned exhaust gas slightly before the 8k mark on the plugs.

The real question is how much unburned gas was getting past those plugs along with lost power and mileage. I can usually smell unburned exhaust gas slightly before the 8k mark on the plugs.

I didn't notice any loss in gas mileage or an increase since installing the new plugs.

I didn't notice any unburned gas smell as well.

Is 8k a significant mark?

8k is the point where the conductor in these plugs begins to not conduct as efficiently as the conductors in new plugs resulting in less efficient combustion. That is the theory.

I had 21K on my original plugs and if held up next to a new one, the only difference seemed to be the color.

I noticed no change in start up, mileage etc at all with the new plugs. I really did not need new plugs, but while it was this far apart having the valves checked (all perfect) we thought this was a prudent thing to do.

Charlie

8k is the point where the conductor in these plugs begins to not conduct as efficiently as the conductors in new plugs resulting in less efficient combustion. That is the theory.

I was told that the Iridiums would go for 30K, I had no loss of any type or of any sort, ran as well as when first installed.

I had 21K on my original plugs and if held up next to a new one, the only difference seemed to be the color.

I noticed no change in start up, mileage etc at all with the new plugs. I really did not need new plugs, but while it was this far apart having the valves checked (all perfect) we thought this was a prudent thing to do.

Charlie

About the same conclusion I came to as well. :icon_wink:

:icon_angel: My bb ran rough on cold idle, and smelt like part unburnt fuel and i almost replaced the plugs but were to lazy to undo everything, tried topside first then realised you had to go through the radiator bottom side, after giving up (14,000Km) thinking they will go a little longer, I replaced the CCT co's of a bleary rattle at 4,000rpm and all was fixed....runs like a new one.

Graham :icon_neutral:

:icon_angel: My bb ran rough on cold idle, and smelt like part unburnt fuel and i almost replaced the plugs but were to lazy to undo everything, tried topside first then realised you had to go through the radiator bottom side, after giving up (14,000Km) thinking they will go a little longer, I replaced the CCT co's of a bleary rattle at 4,000rpm and all was fixed....runs like a new one.

Graham :icon_neutral:

Forget that stupid owner manual.Much faster way is to prop fuel tank,remove air box and bingo you are there.

That owner`s manual was written by very well educated young engineer who never held a wrench in his hands or got grease under the nails.

BTW proper way to examine electrodes on tiny iridium plugs is to use magnifier.You would look for rounded up edges of electrodes.

It is hard to tell from pictures,but it looks like there is a lot of carbon deposits,.Do you have power commander? It looks like bike is running too rich.

It is hard to tell from pictures,but it looks like there is a lot of carbon deposits,.Do you have power commander? It looks like bike is running too rich.

No Power Commander for the 30K on those plugs.

Looking at them under the magnifying glass they really look clean not any buildup and no rounding.