Dry Clutch Kit

Nitrous Kit (this is questionable)

What I need from you guys, if anybody has any ideas:

Horsepower gain on each of those items

Best products to buy

Best Kits to go with

Of course any suggestions one would have to iprove my standings

Waynedale

Just curious why you have chosen to go this route instead of a small turbo setup? Cost would probably be similar, if not cheaper, and potential for horsepower is much greater even with relatively low boost levels.

I have some experience with tuning/building turbocharged cars, and am currently investigating what custom options are available for my 'XX. I'm not sure where you are located, but there are several reputable turbo builders dotted around the country who could provide advice; I have one located close to me that I work with. A 70HP to 80HP gain should be easily attainable with just a modest setup, utilizing something like a T25 which will show negligible lag and be perfectly streetable.

I've been down the nitrous route (on cars). It appears relatively inexpensive to experiment with, but cost soon mount as you expand into more comprehensive setups. The nitrous horror stories often arise because people tend to get greedy with their jetting and go bigger and bigger until the motor can take no more. On cars at least, it requires careful tuning and self-restraint. I would only consider it if building a bike for drag-only usage; remember in most (all?) states it is illegal to even have a nitrous bottle hooked up to your vehicle, let alone to actually spray it on a public highway.

-Pace

Dry clutch can get you a 30-35 horsepower gain. Cost is high though from what I have heard. The reason for not going turbo is I want it to be a sleeper. I also what to be able to compete on many levels. We have drag races that class bikes in straight combustion and nitrous/turbo level. By possible going with nitrouse I can race straight combustion by simple removing the bottle. Theres just something about running a bike that is not turbo and taking the bottle off and still having the straight horspower to pull it down the track at a most impressive speed. Plus it give you the elimant of the surpise. Every body goes with turbo or nitrouse, I want the straight horspower. Besides there is always next winter when I can add turbo to everything else.

Waynedale

You know, this is my ride and I choose what to do with it and how much I spend. I really appriciate what you guys have to say, but the fact is what I have said is what I plan to do. I was hopping for some insight on what (of the components I listed) was the best to go with. I do not want a turbo, and trust me I know what will be cheeper. I dumped 6500 dollars into a 1978 GS1000, I do not buy bikes for horspower. I buy what I want and build them up. I do not want a busa or a 12 I want my Blackbird and I want it my way....

Thanks for all your suggestions just wish some of you could have had the answers for the questions I asked.

Waynedale

Am I to understand that out of all the Blackbird owners in hear that no one is going to answer my straight forward quest?  

Guess I cam to the wrong place.........

Waynedale

Already gave you my opinion. I know some about turbos. I know little about dry clutches and overbore kits.

Sorry we can't help more. Have you tried psychobike.com ? Please keep us up to date on your project as it progresses.

-Pace

and you've quickly got a solid busa  

beater for peanuts.

:pointup:

Answers to the question are hard to come by, because I don't think anybody's really done this. Well, I'm sure a small number have, but it's certainly not a common mod for us mere mortals. You might try starting with V&H in England (not Vance & Hines). They built 50 specail XX's for Honda's 50th anniversary which are claimed to do 185 HP "stock." They sold for around $5k more than a standard, I believe. They may sell the parts as a kit or point you to the right place.

BTW, what year model are you doing this to?

Carlos is on about V&M racing that made the Anniversay Blackbird for the UK, unfortunately they have stopped doing outside work and are solely involved in racing under their new name Valmoto.

If you want a rough idea as to what is available try TTS who do a big bore kit and other items

http://www.tts-performance.com/catalog/ind...x.php?cPath=100

V&M, that's right, sorry. I'd love to have one of those bikes.

Elixxir makes a good point about weight, since every 7 pounds = 1 hp. So always compare the cost of a pony to the cost of losing 7 pounds.

Nitrous whore here :twisted: I use the NX Express kit which from what I researched, seem to have the best nozzles out there for your jets....cheap HP at the push of a button....60 shot on my wet kit which gives an instant hit. Almost 3k miles since it was installed and COUNTLESS times I have HIT IT :cool: and so far no problems, plugs are clean and she is running just as good as before but now she's just a bit quicker :bigshock:

I want to up the jets but I probably need to do some motor work as well to push bigger numbers, a 60hp shot is probably the biggest you would wanna do on a stock motor otherwise yeah you could probably run into some major engine problems.

Good luck with the project! :cycle:

Sanch

Be skeptical of the jetting charts. I started with the NOS recommended 37/22 jetting for a supposed '50-shot' on my car. It actually yielded about an 80-90HP gain! NX might be a bit more accurate with this, but I suppose actual gains will vary across different vehicles.

My nitrous experiments were fun. The car is an AWD, and spraying when launching would cause all four tires to break loose and send the car sideways. I gotta give respect to anyone who has the balls to spray on a bike.. :)

-Pace

any hp estimates, Sanch?

I've yet to take it to a proper dyno...local moto shop had a dyno shootout and was running very low numbers all day ie stock ZX12R pulled 132hp, my old stock 12 pulled 165hp, also saw a '03 GSXR1k hit 124hp!?! I forget which dyno machine it was but it was a portable unit......anyway, they gave her two pulls, one with and one without...one with still showed a 40+hp increase over the stock settings which was 119hp I think. Not bad, but not very impressive.....I hope to get a chance and take her to Mike Velasco's moto shop and have her properly dyno'd and tuned :wink: I'll keep you posted.....I figure with slip-ons, K&N and the N2O I should see some respectable numbers :shock: :cool:

Sanch

Be skeptical of the jetting charts. I started with the NOS recommended 37/22 jetting for a supposed '50-shot' on my car. It actually yielded about an 80-90HP gain! NX might be a bit more accurate with this, but I suppose actual gains will vary across different vehicles.  

I gotta give respect to anyone who has the balls to spray on a bike.. :)

-Pace

Well NX claims a +/- 2% error on the jetting yield....I think I can live with an increase of 58-62 hp :lol: Hell just make it go harder and faster and I'll ride it....that doesn't sound right :shock:

Thanks Pace but it's not that I have the balls to spray my bird....it's just I'm too stupid to know better :loony: :fingerflip: Seriousely though, N2O is a kick on the XX....instant WOOD when you hit the spray. Coming home from a short ride today I met a guy riding a stock '02 R1, he goes on and on about what a big ass, cumbersome bike the XX is and how slow it is compared to other bikes on the market and saying how he always thought it to be overated....basically a fuggin prick.....anyway, we both happen to be headed the same way and as we merge onto the freeway he looks over his shoulder at me and then hammers it.....knowing this was prolly gonna happen I was armed and ready :twisted: I've dropped a tooth in the front and was in second gear at 6k rpm's when I went WOT and sprayed the Bird.....just as I start looking at the skyline, she settles down and everything goes to warp and all I see is a blue blur.............going backward :moon: He catches up to me and gave me a big thumbs up while shaking his head in disbelief as he had just been kicked in the nutz :kicknuts:

Nitrous Whore-

Sanch