CBR1100XX.org Forum

Power commander 101

Elefant

I've always had bikes where the I've changed the chip (aka EPROM), adjust CO and off I went. What's with PC? Is there a Power Commander for dummies site? Is the PC installed on top of the bike's brain or is it in lue of the bike's brain?

Any clarification would be appreciated...

I removed my bikes brain. I hated that she was smarter than me. So I got a GPS so I would know where I was going. Turned out that....both of us didn't know where we were going.

That figures. Outta quit listening to that moron on your avatar. And you'll be aaaaaalll right. Hopefuly it's not too late.

What does Howard Stern have to do with my reply ? So I can't make a joke without it being related to Howard Stern.

Guess you don't listen to comedy and don't laugh much.

Howard Stern = Comedy.

George Carlin = Comedy.

Jamie Foxx - Comedy.

etc....

My sincere apologies for making humor.

As for morons...do they get any more stupid than Clint Eastwood ?

What does Howard Stern have to do with my reply ? So I can't make a joke without it being related to Howard Stern.

Guess you don't listen to comedy and don't laugh much.

Howard Stern = Comedy.

George Carlin = Comedy.

Jamie Foxx - Comedy.

etc....

My sincere apologies for making humor.

As for morons...do they get any more stupid than Clint Eastwood ?

Howard Stern = moron

George Carlin = THE MAN

Jamie Foxx = so so

Dirty Harry... priceless

BTW, if you watched Dirty Harry from a movie making stand point (not just look at the screen), you'd have noticed that even Clint Eastwood's face on some takes is trying VERY hard not to laugh at the role he's playing. That's how much of "I can't believe I'm playing this tough wise ass role" stupid he is.

As for making humor, so was I. I suppose unless I use those idiotic slilies... some people don't get it. I did get yours and that's why I was busting your balls.

Oooops!

First the turd now Howard! Nothing personal or premediated about my comments on your choice of avatar dude! I didn't realized it was you until I went to check the dinner post...

Just the luck of the draw... Didn't mean anything by it....

I've always had bikes where the I've changed the chip (aka EPROM), adjust CO and off I went. What's with PC? Is there a Power Commander for dummies site? Is the PC installed on top of the bike's brain or is it in lue of the bike's brain?

To get back on track...it's wired into your bike computer. I assume it intercepts and changes the coding for fuel and air ratios and stuff like that. Easier to change than a chip I'd assume, just connect it to a PC, download a new fuel/air "map" and go test.

That being said, for someone with an older model bird with a serial cable style PC, where could he get an extra cable?

Go here and snoop through the various headings/links:

http://www.powercommander.com/

Especially these:

http://www.powercommander.com/tut_download.shtml

and

http://www.powercommander.com/suppfaq.shtml

and

http://www.powercommander.com/suppinstal.shtml

That should give you a better idea of how it works, how it fits into the system, and its versatility.

To get back on track...it's wired into your bike computer. I assume it intercepts and changes the coding for fuel and air ratios and stuff like that. Easier to change than a chip I'd assume, just connect it to a PC, download a new fuel/air "map" and go test.

That being said, for someone with an older model bird with a serial cable style PC, where could he get an extra cable?

Yup, it goes inline between the brain and harness.

I have a box of serial to USB cables sitting behind me right now. PM me your address.

Yup, it goes inline between the brain and harness.

I have a box of serial to USB cables sitting behind me right now. PM me your address.

Thanks Dion. PM sent.

I assume it intercepts and changes the coding for fuel and air ratios and stuff like that.

It changes injection time (unit is m(illi)s) by altering the engine ECU signal (earth) to the injectors.PC3 itself doe not uses any units, it ads or subtracts some percentage of injection time.

This is done according to throttle openinig (TPS potentiometer signal) and engine revs.

You need a dynamometer and a gas analyzer to tune properly an engine.

I assume it intercepts and changes the coding for fuel and air ratios and stuff like that.

It changes injection time (unit is m(illi)s) by altering the engine ECU signal (earth) to the injectors.PC3 itself doe not uses any units, it ads or subtracts some percentage of injection time.

This is done according to throttle openinig (TPS potentiometer signal) and engine revs.

just so you know, there are downloadable maps for the bird from pwr cmmander site, but only for the few cans they have tested. i put a homemade 4-1 scorpion on my bike ( stock headers thermo coated in and out) witha single pipe from the dual scorpion setup. i also put an 02 sensor in the header and an air/fuel ration monitor on the steering head so i can see it in real time.

the map for dual scorpions wasn't even close. the 4into 1 accelerates the gases much faster and it was way lean at low rpms. i finally have it close, but since i am turboing the bike next week, i'll have to start all over.

i mount my laptop on my gastank and go riding while watching my a/f monitor and make adjustments as i go, in real time. my very own rolling dyno. it's the only way to get the throttle position sensor settings correct. and yes, it does get busy sometimes juggling all the imputs from traffic, road, a/f , sending maps and saving maps. sure is fun though. if i don't kill myself, i'll eventually get it all worked out.

just so you know, there are downloadable maps for the bird from pwr cmmander site, but only for the few cans they have tested. i put a homemade 4-1 scorpion on my bike ( stock headers thermo coated in and out) witha single pipe from the dual scorpion setup. i also put an 02 sensor in the header and an air/fuel ration monitor on the steering head so i can see it in real time.

the map for dual scorpions wasn't even close. the 4into 1 accelerates the gases much faster and it was way lean at low rpms. i finally have it close, but since i am turboing the bike next week, i'll have to start all over.

i mount my laptop on my gastank and go riding while watching my a/f monitor and make adjustments as i go, in real time. my very own rolling dyno. it's the only way to get the throttle position sensor settings correct. and yes, it does get busy sometimes juggling all the imputs from traffic, road, a/f , sending maps and saving maps. sure is fun though. if i don't kill myself, i'll eventually get it all worked out.

Find a dyno, save your life :icon_wave: