CBR1100XX.org Forum

Trick XX Linkage

AlphaBird

• 3 weeks later...

Should get it next week---believe it or NOT--it requires a 13.5 kg spring---xrdracer and I will be twins---should raise the rear 30mm---provide greatly improved "out of the hole" acceleration---if its even close to the 929 improvement--Ill be pysched---machining is plain old awesome

It would even give Nik a boner

What's linkage?

Is that like shrinkage?

See what happens when I hang out in the garage? You guys slay me with your mechanical 'shop-talk'.

:razz:

:grin:

I need to go back to the pub.... :grin:

I'm like the little toddler that you keep telling to stay out of the garage... I just keep staggering back in... Grabbing anything shiny, and pushing any button I see.... Till I get shooed back in the house where the 'child-safe' toys are. LOL

It would even give Nik a boner

What's linkage?

Is that like shrinkage?

See what happens when I hang out in the garage? You guys slay me with your mechanical 'shop-talk'.

:razz:

:grin:

I need to go back to the pub.... :grin:

Thanks Nik---was feeling like a loser w/No responses---bottoms up(ina non-gay way of course) :lol::lol:

I'm like the little toddler that you keep telling to stay out of the garage... I just keep staggering back in... Grabbing anything shiny, and pushing any button I see.... Till I get shooed back in the house where the 'child-safe' toys are. LOL

Thanks Nik---was feeling like a loser w/No responses---bottoms up(ina non-gay way of course)

I'm glad you threw in the 'non-gay' qualifier...

For a second there I thought you were coming on to me...

And I kinda felt cheap because at least MaXX bought me a drink before he made a pass at me.

:shock:

I was thinking the same...and NIK...we always wait for an opportunity to SLAM you....at the neXXt...hopefully it will be from behind !

Oh yeah, talk dirty to me baby!!!!!!!

Dave, you take a pure innocent thread like shrinkage... and turn it into something dirty....

(well done) :)

What's linkage?  

Is that like shrinkage?

I was thinking the same...and NIK...we always wait for an opportunity to SLAM you....at the neXXt...hopefully it will be from behind !

Linkage is considerably different than shrinkage---but they are related. The linkage is the dogbone and the side plates that regulate the displacement vs sring rate that the shock sees. This linkage is less progressive--what it does is two things---the primary objective is to keep the bike from squattting under acceleration---thus providing better throttle on traction out of corners, ---this tends to minimze darkies and maximize wheelies------it also greatly reduces theshrinkage of the wanker/nutsack region that typically occurs whenst one sees his rear end coming around the front end---- additionally, it provides shrinkage of the resultant skidmarks that also tend to appear in the riders shorts in the forementioned end-swapping---hopefully it is all clear now.

---Oh yeah --It Also---it jacks the rear up---sos the washer can go away

Alpha...

Being the kind soul that you are... How bouts if you pick me up a new linkage?

Sounds cool to me... (the better handling part)

Come on man... Hook a brotha up!

I'll pay you back with my undying appreciation... And I'll pimp Maxx out to you whenever you want.

Alpha...

Being the kind soul that you are...  How bouts if you pick me up a new linkage?

Sounds cool to me...  (the better handling part)

Come on man...  Hook a brotha up!

I'll pay you back with my undying appreciation...  And I'll pimp Maxx out to you whenever you want.

that would make me a communist and unwelcome on this site---sell one of your big-ass guns fer heavnes sake :lol::lol:

OK--here is my review on the linkage:

1) because the ratio has changed--only a 14kg spring is required

2) install was cake--

3) the bike "hooks up" way better coming out of corners

4) you can feel that the bike doesnt squat nearly as much on accel--instead it hooks up and wheelies

5) All washers were remove from the shock adj---ride height is about the same as 12mm of spacers at the rear shock

6) No instability issues

7) The new dogbone is pretty close to a 929 dogbone---its actually longer that stock---which would typically lower the bike BUT--the side plates are very different from stock---this gives it the increased height-new ratio

8) max traction for bikes is a swingarm angle of approx 12 deg---the new linkage--keeps the bike in that zone waaaay better than stock---No real panality in ride suppliness that i can tell yet

9) My entire suspension now mimics xdjracers and over all it is awesome--I need to delink the brakes and then I am done

10) the seat height does rise approx 1-1 1/2 inches, kick stand still works, but there is a pretty serious tilt

Joe, 3 bills isn't cheap, but the quality and workmanship is such that it would not be out of place on a WSB or GP machine. ALL of TSRs items are that way. I am getting one of their full 4-2 Ti pipes to mate to my Akra cans and I thought the welding on my Akra pipes was good till I saw what the TSR welds look like. Ask Alpha what the quality level is, as he hasseen the TSR items on my Bird. You get what you pay for !

Howie

Sounds like a great modification. Interesting that you found that the rear suspension now acts more like a 929. The new spring rates are pretty close to what is used on the 929 as well, so, I would guess that TSR was trying to duplicate the 929's linkage.

Did you need to change damping much?

With the increased rear ride height, will the centerstand still function?

Sounds like a great modification.   Interesting that you found that the rear suspension now acts more like a 929.    The new spring rates are pretty close to what is used on the 929 as well, so, I would guess that TSR was trying to duplicate the 929's linkage.

Did you need to change damping much?    

With the increased rear ride height, will the centerstand still function?

Damping is in the middle on the Ohlins---seems fine--yes it was similar to the modified HRC linkage on the 929---add gives the bike the same "feel"

No, the center stand still works to park the bike--but the rear wheel is on the ground sos it would be sub-optimal for changing tires--I have it off anyway so its no biggie for me

Joe, 3 bills isn't cheap, but the quality and workmanship is such that it would not be out of place on a WSB or GP machine. ALL of TSRs items are that way. I am getting one of their full 4-2 Ti pipes to mate to my Akra cans and I thought the welding on my Akra pipes was good till I saw what the TSR welds look like. Ask Alpha what the quality level is, as he hasseen the TSR items on my Bird. You get what you pay for !

Howie

Yep the machining/finish is second to none---plus say price I paid for the HRC replica from Dan

Will do a simple review with pics added on photoisland.com. But first I have to get the pipes and have the connector pipes modified to mate to my Akra cans. Then, hopefully Dan Kyle will remap my PCII as he remapped it for the slip-on Akras. By the way, this set up will allow for oil filter access and centerstand retention. I like the Akra Carbon/Ti cans on my 01 red Bird, but want to drop a few more pounds and add some top-end hp that is why I am going through this mess of modding the TSR connector pipes.