CBR1100XX.org Forum

Setting stock suspension sag

joeblackbird99

• 3 weeks later...

How do you control the sag? Tube spacers on the springs?

I have never done dick with any of the suspensions on my bikes other than change fork fluid. Have a lot to learn here.....fortunately sounds like most of you know your shit.

My bike fells better with 25mm sag front and rear. This is probably because I am used to a FIRM feeling bike. Also I sometimes ride with Givi bags and also with a passenger- so I don't have to hassle with the extremely difficult changing of preload.

TimXX

Since I've got a bit of time today I thought I'd post the Race-Tech method:

1) bike on centerstand, fully extend the forks

I use the bottom of the lower triple clamp and rubber guard/top of slider interface as my reference points.

Measure the distance, should be around 168mm if you haven't moved your forks. Call this L1

2) With the help of a friend to balance the bike, sit on it with all your gear on, tankbag, preferably some gas in the tank, etc. and with your feet up (and front brake on) have your buddy push down on the forks. Let the machine slowly spring back up on it's own and measure. Call this L2

3) Same thing as step 2 but this time have your buddy lift on the front end and let it slowly settle and then measure. Call this L3

4) Add L2+L3 then divide by two. This is to factor in the fork stiction and average it out. Subtract that number from L1 and that is your fork sag. Do it a few times for repeatability.

Two buddies is even better. Try not to fall over. :oops:

G2

Yesterday I worked on the Sag on My Bike. The Front has racetech springs for my weight and was set for 35mm sag when I put the springs in. I new the rear was too soft by riding it for a couple of weeks. When I checked I had 65mm sag in the rear. Tightened up the rear to match the front. No wonder it was driving so crappy. When I rode to work this morning I was amazed. It felt like a different bike. The ride was better and felt much more stable. Setting your bike up properly can make a big difference. Now for the new rear shock.