CBR1100XX.org Forum

'lectric vests.........

urloozn

I am thinking of taking a little road trip (back to Tennessee, actually) in October and I was wondering if, in all of your infinite high mileage wisdom, someone could give me some insight on electric vests. I am curious as to whether there is any one brand that is better than another, what an average price should be, if my electrical system can handle it etc.

Whatever info ya'll can pass on would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot!

Ken 'URLOOZN'

General Pee-On

I actually use the Gerbing's and Widder.

Since you're in a warm area, go with the Widder setup. I live in Michigan and try to ride whenever there's not ice on the roads so I prefer Gerbing's Jacket Liner and Gloves during the Winter since they are MUCH warmer than the Widder setup which I use in the Spring and Fall.

I just have a cheap ass one that was on sale at the bike shop for 100 CDN bucks. It's worked great for me. I can't afford that widder stuff :]

Another vote for Gerber...I have their gloves and jacket liner hooked up to a troller to adjust the heat before meltdown :shock: Gerber is actually a local small husband and wife shop located just across the puget sound from us here in Seattle....located in Union, WA. They do great custom work and are highly regarded amongst the moto community....GREAT customer service also :cool: Every spring they open their shop and have a "spring cleaning" sale when you can get sweet deals....big thumbsup to them for this.....I bought a vest, jacket liner, gloves and a troller for around $200 during a spring sale about 2 years ago :shock:

Check them out man....best trollers out there, fantastic customer service and excellant quality gear :worship:

Cheers-

Sanch

Widder is the way to go for the Blackbird, since it consumes less power than the Gerbing. The Gerbing is fine unit, mind you, but the Widder is more efficient.

As Joe mentioned, the electronic controller is the only way to fly. A bit spendy, but worth every cent. I mounted mine so I could have easy access and fingertip control without moving my clutch hand very far from the grip:

FINISHED_clutch_bracket.jpg

Thanks a lot for the input guys! Warchild, you seem to be the electrical maniac..I mean guru here, is there a specific type/rating of reostat I should look into? does the Widder company make one for their gear?

I have to give the vote to the Gerbing's heated jacket liner, I also have a widder vest(which is for sale[with adj. themostat cord]<size 40>$100+ship)which works great but I prefer having my arms warm also,

Gerbing's is a family run biz and everybody is real helpful.

Warchild is right, make sure you get the adjustable thermostat cause you'll be uncomfortable as the outside temps go up and down.

Hey man, just because I don't have snow tires on the 'Bird doesn't mean it ain't cold!!

Actually I made the chicken run to Mobile in February and I didn't like the way I fealt at the end. I was wearing several layers of clothes and by the time I got to Mobile I was slurring and couldn't get warm. One of the guys I met up with (Sorry Francis, I can't remember his name) said something that I liked: Its a whole lot easier to STAY warm than to GET warm.

So there.

I am also thinking of just foregoing the vest, leaving the rainsuit at home and getting the Tourmaster Courtech CX jacket and pants. Anybody have any rain experience with this stuff?

Which is more bulky, the Widder or the Gerbing?

The Gerbing is a little bulkier than the Widder.

is there a specific type/rating of reostat I should look into? does the Widder company make one for their gear?

Well, yeah.... the one I posted in the above photo!

Here's a direct link to it (Product Code N2), though you might find it for less after you do a goggle mail order search:

http://www.widder.com/html/Product/Hookups/index.html