CBR1100XX.org Forum

Latest on tires...

silverbird1100

At SEXXT I was following Vern into a right hander and didn't see the inch sized gravel in time. As I was preparing for the crash both wheels stepped out a foot, hit pavment and I just kept going.

I had EXACTLY that same experience on some Pilot Sports in '04. Had my buddy's GF on behind me, following him at dusk down old Hwy. 40. He'd gotten a little bit ahead and at the last moment, I saw a right hander completely covered in gravel in my lane. Whole bike went sideways for some distance, and all I did was hang on and do nothing abrupt. When those Sports hit the roadway surface again, not even a wobble -- hooked up smoothly and predictably, almost like they didn't know they'd just gone a few feet sideways.

When we got to buddy's GF's house, she was VERY impressed at my riding skill. LOL -- "All I did was hang on -- that was the bike and the tires!"

I'm not sure the Pilot Powers are dual compound, though. I'm pretty sure that's the Pilot Power Race or Sport Race (or whatever they call it). Either way, GREAT tires, IMO.

I have tried the pilot sports, good handling tire but it spins up really easy. :icon_dance:

I also had a set of Avons, AV49 front and AV50 rear. I really liked those. I

really felt like they were telling me exactly what was going on. I have had

several Shinko 003's, tons of grip but don't turn worth a crap. I just the other

day i got the new Dunlop qualifier. I haven't gotten to really test its cornering

prowess yet but when you hit the throttle leaned over it sticks like glue. :icon_twisted:

At SEXXT I was following Vern into a right hander and didn't see the inch sized gravel in time. As I was preparing for the crash both wheels stepped out a foot, hit pavment and I just kept going.

I had EXACTLY that same experience on some Pilot Sports in '04. Had my buddy's GF on behind me, following him at dusk down old Hwy. 40. He'd gotten a little bit ahead and at the last moment, I saw a right hander completely covered in gravel in my lane. Whole bike went sideways for some distance, and all I did was hang on and do nothing abrupt. When those Sports hit the roadway surface again, not even a wobble -- hooked up smoothly and predictably, almost like they didn't know they'd just gone a few feet sideways.

When we got to buddy's GF's house, she was VERY impressed at my riding skill. LOL -- "All I did was hang on -- that was the bike and the tires!"

I'm not sure the Pilot Powers are dual compound, though. I'm pretty sure that's the Pilot Power Race or Sport Race (or whatever they call it). Either way, GREAT tires, IMO.

I thinkyou're right, the race are the dual compound

I wish I could understand why I like Jap tires. Throw on some D220's or BT020's and I'm raising my bike up to keep the pegs from digging in. Then I tried the Pilot sports and feel like I'm riding on particle board. Grip is never an issue for me, just no feel whatsoever. I'm willing to try something else but can't go around buying 3 sets of tires I'll never use :icon_sick:

Funny, I Pilot race is the best tire I've ever used on trackbike.

I got a little over 4k on the D220/rear & 6k+ front. When they are good and warm, they held good - never dragging a peg or anything...

If it was below 65° they could get just a little slippery.

I am going to try the Powers this year and stop being so ham-fisted in first gear :icon_liar:

Pilot Powers are NOT dual compound.

Pilot Power 2CT (Dual compound Technology) are. These are just released on the European market. I don't know about the USA....

Brian sounds to me like me and you are due for that 6mm Shimm on the rear shock..

:icon_biggrin:

I have no been able to find any info on this.... I heard about it awhile back and I know a lot of guys have done it... anyone have a post to info about this or can give me info on what it is and what it does?

Thanks.

Brian sounds to me like me and you are due for that 6mm Shimm on the rear shock..

:icon_biggrin:

I have no been able to find any info on this.... I heard about it awhile back and I know a lot of guys have done it... anyone have a post to info about this or can give me info on what it is and what it does?

Thanks.

Pull the rear shock and remove the shock kingpin underthe saddle (the radiator overflow tank is attached to it, but it's only a pressure fitting, IIRC-let it hang). Take the kingpin to ACE Hardware and find what size washer fits over the kingpin. Oput on enough washers to equal 6mm of height and reassemble.

The EASY Way:

Take the nut to ACE and leave the rest in place. Buy the washers that fit and take them home. Cut out enough of the washer so that they look kinda like a horseshoe. Put a little bit of rubber cement on each washer, stacke them, and slide them into place *without* removing the whole kingpin (the rubber cement keeps everything in place while you put it together again).

IIRC, Jaws sells a specific 'lil urethane washer cut to fit instead of using metal washers from the hardware store.

Bryan...HTH...