CBR1100XX.org Forum

FI Light after extended high speed runs

seeten1

I have a 99 Bird, Every time i run 10-12 miles at or above 150 the FI light comes on and stays on. I can turn the key on and off and it goes off, but after another blast it comes right back on.

Anything wrong? any suggestions why it comes on.

I have a 99 Bird, Every time i run 10-12 miles at or above 150 the FI light comes on and stays on. I can turn the key on and off and it goes off, but after another blast it comes right back on.

First, I hope you're doing this in west Texas, NV, Montana, or AZ right?? not much safe place anywhere else to do that speed for that long...

Anyway, are you modded in any way? Is the bike a CA bike (CA bikes have O2 sensors, right?) Could be an issue with the O2 sensor getting so much raw fuel (running rich at WOT for a long period or time) or something... Just ideas...

Mike

Do you have a PCII?

Any idea of what the code is?

I had that on my 99. You need to install the latest software on yout computer and reload the map.

Not that I've had this problem but if I were in your position I'd try this first. I'd load the 0 map and try the bike a few days see if it shows up again. If not I'd reload the map and see how it works.

Make sure you save your map first if it's a custom made one....

Not that I know much, but from what I'm reading it sounds like you have shorted out the ecu. Can you short the ECU on that year?

I ride a 2002 model FI XX, so I might be writing the biggest load of BS I don't know.

Edit: Sorry guys, let me rephrase this.

When the bike is off, have you used the ECU testing method - which includes shorting out the ECU - to retrieve the error detail that is stored in the ECU?

The FI light will flash a certain amount of times, which when referenced to the Workshop Manual will provide some starting point for the possible solution.

Not that I know much, but from what I'm reading it sounds like you have shorted out the ecu. Can you short the ECU on that year?

I ride a 2002 model FI XX, so I might be writing the biggest load of BS I don't know.

If the ECU was shorted or dead the injectors would not fire, hence the bike would not run. The FI light only comes on if the computer tells it to, hence its working ( and the bike runs ). Sounds like a sensor is bad, or you're tripping it with a custom MAP on a PC II

Here's a couple PCII maps that one of the members spent alot of time creating (can't remember his name :icon_think: ). I believe he created them for good fuel economy, but he said that it helped his performance too.

FiXXer.zip

Micron 4-1 PCII no idea what the map is, anyone have a map and a cord to interface the two? If i had to choose i would like a map wiyh the most midrange 4-8K .

Thanks!!

]

Under 150 ( grunt!)

I think they have a map available for your setup at

http://www.powercommander.com/113-211.shtml

and try this link for FI faults...

http://www.ixxra.com/fiprobs.html

What's a FI Light? :icon_think:

gallery_147_117_33375.jpg

Simple fix for ya...

Keep it under 150mph squidly :icon_naughty: .

Your clocks are off!

:icon_shifty:

BTW...I just ran 15 miles at 120-150...

I don't think carbs are the issue!

:icon_smilefingers:

What's a FI Light? :icon_think:

gallery_147_117_33375.jpg

Simple fix for ya...

Keep it under 150mph squidly :icon_naughty: .

Hush your still on the first oil change with only 2062 miles :icon_stickpoke:

That's 20,628 :icon_stickpoke:

That means he's on his second oil change :icon_razz:

My girlfriends dad has this same problem on his 04' haybusa its got HMF highmounts K&N and PCIII. We took to the Suzuki dealer to ask about it, they just shrugged and said must be that pulling 150mph is a work out for the cycle. They thought like was already mentioned. The fuel rushing threw the system at that rate for an extended time could just set off the light. So i doubt it is anything to be concerned with.

Actually I had a similar problem in my 98' F150 after pulling 3000lbs of limestone over WolfCreek Pass in Colorado. I drove from Easten Kansas over the pass, and it set off the check engine light. the code read O2 sensor was bad, ends up the truck was just over worked that day. We reset the system and have had no problems since.