CBR1100XX.org Forum

Header Advice

Pennywise

Hey Guys, its been a while. I am looking for a header that's not too loud. but sounds deep. I am looking for the performance end of the spectrum, cost is not an option. Which header turns the bird on? What have you tried, and what are you running now?

Check out Akrapovic, Micron, Erion, Yoshimura -- they seem to be the most often touted. There's a couple other Ti high enders that some will chime in on. Too bad Micron isn't making the Serpent for the Bird, and it doesn't sound like they are going to from my telephone conversation with them just last week.

If money is no object, go with Ti-force.

+1

That is what I have, and it's a truly awesome piece of workmanship. Complete system weighs less than 9lbs, and claimed hp increase of +10 on stock bike. Not overly loud, either. I have a short video I could send you if you pm me your email address.

Get it here: http://www.orientexpress.com

Second on the list would be the Akrapovic.

I'd say they are all about the same.

Go with what your eye and ear tell you.

Most will gain some HP and most will be louder. Your tolerance for the latter is between you and your neighbors.

I don't seem to find my bike lacking in the HP department with the stock exhaust. It will pull willingly from just about any RPM, very nicely above 5K and pretty darn well above 8K to red line. I also like the fact that it is dead quiet. Allows me to slip around without attracting the attention of LEOs and greatly reduces fatigue on long rides.

That bike (Northman's) in the video sounds really good.

+1

That thing sounds SAweet. :icon_thumbsup:

Yeah, I am not a big fan of the single sided pipes on the XX but Northmans, is da shizzle!! That thing is fucking sexy...... The TiForce is the only full system I would buy.

Oh and the sound of his bike in person............ :icon_love: :icon_love:

180+ HP, sounds really good flowing through a TiForce!!!

Ti Force futures stepped header and as such has a distinct performance advantage.It provides boost over wider rpm range compared to conventional header.Bigger headpipes will boost power in higher rev range,smaller in lower rev range.With stepped header you get the best of both worlds.

If you consider it is made from titanium the price is not so bad,actually it is cheap,only 1100`s .

One more think,titanium header will give more power then identical otherwise stainless steel unit,theory is that retains heat and kinematic energy of exhaust gases better.It is well proven fact.You could get the same result by wrapping ss pipe in heat,er,, wrap.

I have Yoshimura 4-2-1 that is as old as my bike,99,nice quality and sound ( quiet when you putz around,but gets loud when you get on it ),served me well,but I would go with Ti Force now.

As tomek pointed out, a stepped header design has it's advantages especially for the street where you don't want to lose any low to mid range hp. Large tube headers typically sacrifice a bit of the the low end for the gain up top.

I agree that TiForce is the best system available, but I think it's advantages (other than weight reduction) aren't going to be too obvious unless other mods to the engine are made. IMO, $1100 is a lot of cash for the little gain (if any) that an exhaust system alone will give you on a stock motor. Like shovelstroked said, sound and budget are going to be your biggest determining factors on a stock bike. I've got a bone stock motor and have tried several 4-2-1 systems and now am running the stock header with high mount MIGs and like it the best, but that decision is based on looks and sound. Now, if they made high mounts that are as quiet as stock, I'd be all over them.

If the stepped header design is appealing to you, and a TiForce isn't in your budget and a few pounds difference don't matter to you, then check out 2-brothers. The one I have is old and I don't know if they still make them the same way, but it has the same size tube as stock for the first 3 or 4 inches, then steps up to a larger diameter.

81120902.jpg

The Yosh system uses a larger diameter tube the whole way.

4edd4fa6.jpg

Edit: Oops, I missed the "cost is not an option" part. Go with the TiForce, or better yet, have a system custom made for you from scratch. :icon_wink:

Oh no my brother ! Preach on! This is the input I was looking for.....Even though I believe I am sold on the Ti force, I know there is something else out there quieter. But the custom approach is a viable solution. Thanks all of you for your support.. I goota go to work.. later

Guest rockmeupto125

As with nearly everything, the law of exponentially diminishing returns applies here as well when plotted against dollars spent.

But if money was no object.......

I've had the opportunity to examine the TiForce exhaust off the bike. There's "well built," and then there's equipment like the Ti. Just looking at it gave me the impression that the person or persons who did that work didn't just do good work, they really cared about what they were doing. There wasn't a joint on that system that wasn't beautifully done, and didn't need to be to do the job.