CBR1100XX.org Forum

Gauging intrest on this idea

beondwacko

Hey People! I had a brief epiphany that I wanted to share to see if there was any interest in here for me to pursue it.

There is a local bike shop that I get my oil from and such and I had stopped in there this last Thursday night. There was a 99' XX in there ( I had seen it once before and spoke with it's owner, he's not too swift ) and it had been a parking lot victim. A van had backed into it from it's right side and knocked it over something good. I really didn't look it over super closely, but something is bent in the front end. It seems that the impact was at the front wheel. The front fender is trashed, L/S fairings are scratched up but not cracked, the left side mirror is gone, the side stand is bent, and the mileage is at 14K.

As I was speaking with the shop owner, he told me that he gave the bike owner an estimate of something like $4,200 to repair it. Therefore , it might be totaled be the insurance company. If it's totaled by the insurance company, it should be able to be bought back by the owner. Now I know the owner has little or no mechanical ability. He won't fix it himself, he has no clue. I'm interested in buying it off of him if they total it and parting in out to the board memebers and e-bay. Of course in order to do this, I need to first contact the seller to see if he'll sell it after they total it, and then for how much. Then I need to make sure before the deal is done, that I have enough intrest in the parts that it will pay for theoutlay and a little more for my time.

As for the farkles on the bike, well, like I said , I didn't look it over with a fint toothed comb, but it does have C/F slip on's ( don't remember the brand but they are brownish in color ) and the rest looks stock. The tank is dent free. The bike has a new chain and rear sprocket but it looks like cheap shit. Steel sprocket ( don't remember the brand ) and a goldish colored chain with a snap clip style master link. The last time I looked at the bike, it wasn't the cleanest example by far, but if I buy it for as much as $500, I'd like to be able to part it out for at least twice that, and hook up forum members at the same time.

Who needs parts? The headlight is good , and I know John01XX is in the market for one. I know I can sell the exhaust, the seat, the wheels and rotors, the rear shock, possibly the engine and ecu to a board member, the upper bodywork ( the nose looked fine but I'll have to double check that ) , the wind screen, the fuel tank, and I don't know what else. Let's see if I can strike a deal. I'll touch base with the owner this week and post my progress. If he goes for it, I'll let you folks know what's available and it's condition.

Hey People! I had a brief epiphany that I wanted to share to see if there was any interest in here for me to pursue it.

There is a local bike shop that I get my oil from and such and I had stopped in there this last Thursday night. There was a 99' XX in there ( I had seen it once before and spoke with it's owner, he's not too swift ) and it had been a parking lot victim. A van had backed into it from it's right side and knocked it over something good. I really didn't look it over super closely, but something is bent in the front end. It seems that the impact was at the front wheel. The front fender is trashed, L/S fairings are scratched up but not cracked, the left side mirror is gone, the side stand is bent, and the mileage is at 14K.

As I was speaking with the shop owner, he told me that he gave the bike owner an estimate of something like $4,200 to repair it. Therefore , it might be totaled be the insurance company. If it's totaled by the insurance company, it should be able to be bought back by the owner. Now I know the owner has little or no mechanical ability. He won't fix it himself, he has no clue. I'm interested in buying it off of him if they total it and parting in out to the board memebers and e-bay. Of course in order to do this, I need to first contact the seller to see if he'll sell it after they total it, and then for how much. Then I need to make sure before the deal is done, that I have enough intrest in the parts that it will pay for theoutlay and a little more for my time.

As for the farkles on the bike, well, like I said , I didn't look it over with a fint toothed comb, but it does have C/F slip on's ( don't remember the brand but they are brownish in color ) and the rest looks stock. The tank is dent free. The bike has a new chain and rear sprocket but it looks like cheap shit. Steel sprocket ( don't remember the brand ) and a goldish colored chain with a snap clip style master link. The last time I looked at the bike, it wasn't the cleanest example by far, but if I buy it for as much as $500, I'd like to be able to part it out for at least twice that, and hook up forum members at the same time.

Who needs parts? The headlight is good , and I know John01XX is in the market for one. I know I can sell the exhaust, the seat, the wheels and rotors, the rear shock, possibly the engine and ecu to a board member, the upper bodywork ( the nose looked fine but I'll have to double check that ) , the wind screen, the fuel tank, and I don't know what else. Let's see if I can strike a deal. I'll touch base with the owner this week and post my progress. If he goes for it, I'll let you folks know what's available and it's condition.

Sounds good to me.

Beondwacko,

I sent you a PM about this. But I'll add a reply here as well.

I'd like the opportunity to buy the bike from you or the owner. Either way I'd compensate you for your time and for finding the bike.

I do have a lot of mechanical experience, so most of the bikes I've owned were previously salvage or non-running. I get them back on the road then either keep them or sell them after a while, usually for a small profit or sometimes a small loss. I guess if I had the money I just buy a new bike and not fool with it. But I've got the tools and experience, so I get the wrecked ones....

STUPID IDEA.

BAdexample,

I can respect your be willing to rebuild this lightly damaged bike, but I tend to doubt that as a finders fee you'll match what I hope to make on parting it out. No offense or anything, but, I need the $$$ being that I'm between leaving my last job this past thursday, and starting my own business in about 2 months or so from now. I know you understand what I mean. Besides, a few others scavangers have called tag on a bunch of the parts. Let's see first if I can buy it for what I'm planing on. Cash talks, and I need to shake some at him!

I'll give you 10 bucks for the little rubber stopper in the triple ?

Such generousity deserves rewards. For that fine offer I'll toss in the tool pouch rubber band too!

And from your last post.....

U r a dumb dumb head.

I'll give you 10 bucks for the little rubber stopper in the triple ?

Such generousity deserves rewards. For that fine offer I'll toss in the tool pouch rubber band too!

And from your last post.....

U r a dumb dumb head.

You're going to think I am not telling the truth....but when that thing started to dry out and crack...I ordered a new one from Ron Ayers....and a back up extra. No shit !

Might be interested in the slip-ons. Need more info though.

I just looked over the bike again. It's got Vance & Hines Carbon slip on's. THe bike also has new Dunlop's D208's. I will hopefully know what the deal is with it by the end of the week. The estimate by the bike shop is for $4800 in repairs. That's got to be close to what it was worth before all the damage. Keep yer' fingers crossed !

Anyone know what it would likely cost to repaint an upper fairing? I cracked mine up a little, and would like one intact, but black on a red bike...

What would the upper go for, for that matter?

Thanks,

Allen,

I have seen them sell for between $200-400 depending on condition and color.

OK, here's the story as of today.

I went down to the shop that has the crashed 99' XX. The shop owner said that the owner of the bike is going to fix it. Now, this may change after he get's a check in his hand, but , we'll have to see.

Believe me, there is no one more disappointed about this than me. I needed to make the $$. If anything changes, I'll post it. Sorry for the bad news guys.