CBR1100XX.org Forum

Gasohol - Can I use it in my '99 Injected

mrsquirrel

Gas IS the BIG mystery.

We ponder/debate to death what oil, chain lube etc. to use but then we just stop where ever and dump the gas in. Conceiveably getting different stuff every time even at the same station.

I've checked here in PA and have never seen any stickers on the pumps saying whats in the gas. Is gasahol everywhere?

I would say if you have a choice and know if it's in there or not, don't use it.

Ethanol will cause your bike to run leaner possibly needing jetted/PC''d

Actually it won't be any leaner but it will be down on power. Ethanol contains less BTU's per unit volume than does gasoline. Expect a drop in power and an increase in fuel consumption.

At the 10% level, it won't do any damage to the fuel system. Beware some of the Northern states such as MN where they are talking about going to 20%.

Ethanol isn't too bad in terms of corrosion but it is both hydrophyllic and hygroscopic so it makes a bad bet for long term storage in that the water from the air can and will corrode some of the components.

post-1891-1139363544_thumb.jpgpost-1891-1139363544_thumb.jpg

Actually it won't be any leaner but it will be down on power. Ethanol contains less BTU's per unit volume than does gasoline. Expect a drop in power and an increase in fuel consumption.

At the 10% level, it won't do any damage to the fuel system. Beware some of the Northern states such as MN where they are talking about going to 20%.

Ethanol isn't too bad in terms of corrosion but it is both hydrophyllic and hygroscopic so it makes a bad bet for long term storage in that the water from the air can and will corrode some of the components.

I am from Brazil and here we use 25% , not a problem for the FI but the carbs clog if the bike see some storage time :(:(:( The loss of power and fuel consuption is the bad effects , i feel sorry for you guys , welcome to my world :rolleyes::rolleyes:

My job is to buy fuel systems for Nissans and I have been into the ethanol thing for years. I could go on for a while but having spent time with the designers in Japan I can say that the best thing to do is drink it if it's pure.....

E85 is what's all over the north and midwest U.S. and is 85% ethanol and this will grow larger. It is less powerful and according enginers you must have an FFV (flex fuel vehicle, there is a little sticker on the rear left window) to run it for any appreciable time.

Two things, ethanol is very corrosive to any steel and eats through most platings so we have to make the steel parts of the pump (tanks are plastic) and injectors out of stainless steel. And, it eats rubber o-rings so we have to replace those in contact with the fuel with a different, tougher grade of resin.

Generally, don't run it in anything, not FFV, you plan to keep. It will ruin your fuel system. Many people say it runs fine and it may, for a while. The innards of your system are slowly being fucked up and you are on borrowed time.

My grand daddy used to make it and my uncle did 5 years for running it. They would laugh their asses off if they knew what we were doing with it now.........................

First sip's a bitch but it gets better.