CBR1100XX.org Forum

Problem with Wilber shock

OZDave

I have a problem with the Wilber shock from the group buy. I noticed the shock started clunking over the small bumps so I took it for a slow ride today. No really nocticable problems while riding but the clunk was still there. The father in-law came over for dinner and we had a look (Its a bit hard to bounce the thing up down and look underneath by yourself).

and ....red oil on the floor under the shock, red oil on the linkages and on the bottom of the spring. I can't see exactly where it's comming from because its a little cluttered around that area.

There is only one Wilbers suspension guy that I know of in Brisbane so I guess it's on with the old shock and a trip to him.

Anyone else had similar problems? Any advise?

PS

Model 641

Doesn't appear to be the preload adjuster oil.

Shock feels very springy with little damping.

Probably, IS a leak from the preload adjuster (although you say that you feel no damping).

Anyway I had a similar incident with my WP unit (and all the preload adjusters of Wp, Ohlins e.t.c. are more or less the same)

To check if it is the hyd. preload, put bike on center stand and give some preload (about 2-3 mm on the preload scale) while watching if the preload ramp on the shock is moving (you can see from the left side. At the same time check if you have a new leak.

If the ramp is not moving then you are sure that is the preload. However there is a chance that if the leak is small and with no weight on the rear wheel , the ramp might move. In this case have someone else put the bike off the stand and check if the preload ramp returns to no preload under bike's weight.

In my case the problem was that the cable was rubbing against the hugger and eventually got a hole. So check cable routing as well.

The shock is now rebuilt.

It wasn’t worth chasing up the warranty and sending it half way around the world so I paid for it myself. $210.00 AUD :(

Here’s the story from the expert, as I remember it:

The shock had lost all gas and a lot of oil. The internals and oil looked as if had seen a lot of work. The shock base that has the seal mounted in it has a Teflon coated bore. On one side the Teflon had worn away. In the photo of the bore you can see where the seal fitted. (x-ring type of seal) The shaft was not damaged. The seal had a small deformity (Left side of photo) that may have caused the problem to start. The base having no Nitrogen pressure to press it against the bottom was sliding up and down in the shock body and caused the external scratches shown.

When I told him it was about 7 – 8 months old, 9,000 km at the most, he was very surprised. He has never seen this on a Wilbers before and assures you all this problem is a one off. (Hope so)……..and shouldn’t re-occur. :|

One shock base including dust seal.

One internal seal.

New oil

Nitrogen

= fixed.

I’ll put it back in tonight and hope it works.

Shock Base

Shock_base.jpg

Shaft Bore with Teflon

Shaft_Bore_with_Teflon.jpg

Shaft_Bore without Teflon

Shaft_Bore_No_Teflon.jpg

Distorted seal

Distorted_Seal.jpg

Here’s the story from the expert, as I remember it:

The shock had lost all gas and a lot of oil. The internals and oil looked as if had seen a lot of work. The shock base that has the seal mounted in it has a Teflon coated bore. On one side the Teflon had worn away. In the photo of the bore you can see where the seal fitted. (x-ring type of seal) The shaft was not damaged. The seal had a small deformity (Left side of photo) that may have caused the problem to start. The base having no Nitrogen pressure to press it against the bottom was sliding up and down in the shock body and caused the external scratches shown.

When I told him it was about 7 – 8 months old, 9,000 km at the most, he was very surprised. He has never seen this on a Wilbers before and assures you all this problem is a one off. (Hope so)……..and shouldn’t re-occur.

Thanks, Dave. Nice to have such a thorough telling of the end of the tale . . . esp. with an expert's explanation AND pictures.

I would contact Wilbers with that information. They may just see fit to find some way to apologize to you for the inconvenience.

Concur with Rockme.... I'm pretty sure Klaus would want to know about this.... :(

I'll point him to this thread when he gets back from vacation....

Guest rockmeupto125

The businessman that DOESN'T want to hear of a legitimate problem with product is the problem.

You're not causing a problem. Any good businessman would want to hear of your situation. Any bad businessmen NEEDS to hear of your situation.

The businessman that DOESN'T want to hear of a legitimate problem with product is the problem.

You're not causing a problem. Any good businessman would want to hear of your situation. Any bad businessmen NEEDS to hear of your situation.

Good point. I wish more businessmen thought that way down here.

Guest rockmeupto125

This HAS to be followed through with Wilbers. If you lost your stock shock, I'll send you a loaner until the Wilbers is returned to you, but with two failures now from this group buy, there needs to be warrantee action.

I just walked out into the garage to find a puddle of red fluid under my bike. It looks to be the same failure detailed here.

SHIT!!! I am not in the mood for a complete teardown of the shock. GDI

Oh well. At least I'm not alone. :( I hope it's easily fixed.

Klaus has already responded to my e-mail so I am optimistic that this will be hanlded without any problems. Here is what he had to say:

Hi Marc,

I am sorry to hear about this problem. Our 5 year warranty will cover

the

repair and replacement of parts, you are responsible for the shipping

back

and forth.

I have read the thread on the list and thank you for forwarding it to

me. I

certainly do want to hear about any problems with the products I am

selling.

The seal-block - referred to as the shock bottom end, is a wear part

and

does fail sometimes and one of several reasons (O-ring failure, Teflon

lining failure, support ring failure, lip-seal failure, assembly error

when

the seal-block is put together and finally a mistake when the shock is

assembled). I am selling the shocks since Nov. of 01 and have approx 15

seal-blocks replaced because of leakage.

Had I heard from the chap in Australia I would have sent him a new

block at

least - understanding that the shipping back and forth is about the

same of

what he paid to have it repaired. However, the shop in Australia could

have

handled it under warranty.

Sounds like good news for you. It's great that Klaus responded so quickly. He was very good with responses to the questions I had when I bought mine. It's just a pity I'm so far away. Like Klaus said, the shipping costs would eat up any repair savings. Keep us posted on how you go.

I finally got out for a romp yesterday as the sun was out this weekend in Seattle.

Pre-load folks, FYI

While doing a post ride inspection, ran my fingers along the preload line on my Wilbers and it came away with fluid on it. Both ends at the fittings are weeping. Gonna wrench them tonight to see if I can snug em up a bit. If not, I guess I'll call Klaus.

db

Any news Dano?

Yeah Dano, any update!

Sorry, there were two shock threads going on. I posted this the other day

I have the 640 with preload adjuster.

I called Klaus just to let him know I noticed a small leak on the pre-load line and was going to try to tighten it up. As far as I could tell it wasn't at the banjo fitting but at the 11mm nut fittings on each end. He said the banjo fittings are a crush once type seal and not to mess with that one.

Snugged em up about 1/8 turn on each end. They weren't tight. Quick ride yesterday, so far so good. However I now have a slight corkscrew twist in the preload line. As each end tightened it put a twist in the line. No big deal, it just doesn't lay-out quite as nice as before.

Klaus did ask if the bike/shock was stored in a heated garage as a shock that freezes could leak. WTF.... I guess I need to move south a few degrees

db

Today udate: Saturday. The fitting at the shock looks OK, the fitting on the adjuster knob still had a little fluid around it. It may just be residual from underneath the heat-shrink tubing Klaus put over the fitting. I wipped it down again and cranked up the pressure (add more preload). Next ride I will check it again, and again. Won't trust it for awhile even if it stays dry.

Drip here too... The bottom of the triangular links were wet and dripping. It is from the shaft. Preload is dry as bone. I didn't ride the bike some time till yesterday and checked it today to find this out. I am not liking this already even if it is under warranty etc. Shock unit such as this, just based on the price they are sold for, must not leak in less than half a year of light use and kept in a mild climate and "heated" garage.

Thinking about it; I didn't get to ride the bike much due to my injury since October. When I noticed an oil puddle underneath, I presumed it was was teh excess from chain lube, didn't even consider the shock. After all this time, during my first ride yesterday, I thought every bump was jolting my back so I thought maybe this is what happens at cold climates...

Drip here too... The bottom of the triangular links were wet and dripping. It is from the shaft. Preload is dry as bone. I didn't ride the bike some time till yesterday and checked it today to find this out. I am not liking this already even if it is under warranty etc. Shock unit such as this, just based on the price they are sold for, must not leak in less than half a year of light use and kept in a mild climate and "heated" garage.

Thinking about it; I didn't get to ride the bike much due to my injury since October. When I noticed an oil puddle underneath, I presumed it was was teh excess from chain lube, didn't even consider the shock. After all this time, during my first ride yesterday, I thought every bump was jolting my back so I thought maybe this is what happens at cold climates...

I was looking at the shock yesterday and thinking about the problems others have, but I didn't notice any dripping.

I was looking at the shock yesterday and thinking about the problems others have, but I didn't notice any dripping.

+1

As if I'm not paranoid enough about my bike. Now I'll be losing sleep over an almost new shock :icon_wall: