CBR1100XX.org Forum

MODIFYING A MODIFIED EXHAUST

fasttraxx

So I have this nice looking two brothers polished oval can slip-on for my 97' bird. It has a nice sound, not too quiet, but not as loud as I would like it. So here is my question, if I were too drill out those rivets on the end, I could take out the fiberglass packing around the spark arrestor, replace everything, then the bike should sound piss your sleeping neighbor off loud, right? Will doing this mess with my carbs as well?

I figure, a bike that is heard is a bike that is seen.

No a bike that is heard is often ticketed :lol:

Stealth pays for itself in the long run.

But yes you can take out the packing and rivet the cap back on. I will tell you this. It will have a funny hollow coffee can sound to it. I know a few local posing idiots that did the same thing your asking.

Personally it sounds like complete and utter shit to me.

just my .02 :wink:

Oh yeah, my 750 was built and running a full D&D exhaust. I could be heard at 3 miles away at a buddies house when I pulled onto his road.

Obnoxious is the best word I could find to describe it. Ear splitting loud if your were behind me or near me.

It didn't stop people from pulling out in front of me or help them see me. It did draw more attention to cops than someone walking down the street with dick stuck to their forehead...

Then their must be a loud exhaust law or something that says you can't have a bike that has a exhaust sound over a certain amount of decibals. But I don't ride hard and fast anymore, and I don't see alot of Harley riders getting pulled over for their loud pipes.

It didn't stop people from pulling out in front of me or help them see me. It did draw more attention to cops than someone walking down the street with dick stuck to their forehead...

and that draws a lot of attention! especially around here! :D

Depends on your pipes and your state laws.

Most aftermarket pipes are NON DOT approved and should say for race use only..

Stock exhausts are there for emissions and noise levels.

As for you Harley riders with drag pipes. I see them pulled and get ticketed for being so loud. One reason why sportbikes get picked on more than the Harley crowd is the few bad apples that ruin it for everyone.

You don't see harleys running from the cops (or actually got a chance of getting away)

You don't see harleys pulling wheelies or stoppies

That and the typical brainwashed american thinks that Noise = power and that harleys are that loud stock which is further from the truth.

Harleys sound like a stuttering sewing machine with stock pipes.

Then their must be a loud exhaust law or something that says you can't have a bike that has a exhaust sound over a certain amount of decibals. But I don't ride hard and fast anymore, and I don't see alot of Harley riders getting pulled over for their loud pipes.

They also have a much different image than we (sport-bike riders, I use that term loosely) have. Thanks to all the idiots and squids we have a horrible image that we are always goin Mach3 with our hair on fire and riding wheelies and such.

Around here most of the cops are Harley owners. I'm still waiting to run into the dick cop that told me if you crotch rocket guys start your shit you're outta here at the last bike night.

I saw one squid do a wheelie the rest parked and hung out. The rest of the "shit" was Harley owners :roll: And of course nothing was done, the biggest offender was a cops wife :shock:

All that said all you're doing is drawing attention to yourself, the bad kind. Don't get me wrong I love the sound of a good exhaust. Also like Krypt Keeper said when you take that packing out you'll probably wind up with a hollow sound that wll leave your ears ringing. I did that to the V&H on my cb900f.

I'm not sure how old you are, but riding with loud pipes constantly ringing in your ears will take its toll. By the time you are 50, you will have a permanent ringing in your ears, as well as deteriated hearing.

Actually, if you remove some packing it will become quieter. Looser packing will absorb more of the sound. Tight packing, shut up you perverts, will let the sound go through. If you pack your can as tight as you can, it'll get loud.

I chopped 8" off my Hindle muffler. It is very(Too) loud. I didn't have any problems, but I felt that I was on the verge of getting a speeding ticket all day long. The sound is a very low and smooth tone, but highly amplified. I love it, but I will probably replace the muffler soon.( I am looking into a SuperTrapp silencer as a possibility).

Brian

• 4 weeks later...

or, you could take the end caps off, and cut the sleeves and cores down about 3-4". on my bike, the pipes should be about 4" longer. you get the sweet SWEET Two Brothers sound, only louder. its cool. makes stuff vibrate in the house n garage when its sittin in the driveway idling, er, thumping rather :icon_evilgrin:

IMG_0078.jpg

IMG_0080.jpg