CBR1100XX.org Forum

Are Harbor Freight Tools good?

Texhoss

I need to get metric tools for the bike, allen wrenches, sockets, spanners, and torque wrench, are they quality or should I look someplace else? I have 1/ 4,3/8, 1/2" drive ratchet tools. What is the largest socket needed, 27mm, allen wrenches?, and spanners? What would it be better a 3/8" or 1/2" socket drive on the torque wrench? Do I need a inch pound torque wrench?

Does any store have specials? Thanks for your ideas!

Texhoss

I think harbor freight tools are "bargain bin" type tools...you know the stuf you get at winn dixie or kroger...keep in mind I am refering to hand tools like sockets, wrenches,ratchets etc.

I have used craftsman tools most of my life and I find them as good or better than snapon at a reasonable price

My brother is a gold-level master tech at a Jeep dealership, ie he beats on his tools day in, day out. While he started buying the Matco & Snap-On etc early in his career, nowadays if he needs a new tool he goes to harbor freight. If he breaks it, he takes it back for a free replacement. In the rare occasion he gets tired of returning a tool he keeps breaking, he'll buy the hi-dollar one, which often don't last much longer. 95% of the tools he's bought in the past few years have been from HF, and that's enough endorsement for me.

Edit: that being said I'd suggest buying the best ratchets you can afford, but use HF for your sockets and combination wrenches. I hate cheap, sloppy ratchets.

I have a lot of Harbor Freight tools, and they work fine for me, with the exception of their air tools. The stuff I know I'm not going to be using day in and day out, I buy from there. However, the stuff that I know I'm going to lose or break or otherwise scratch, maim, and destroy, I ALSO buy from them. When I started installing car audio back in 1990, I started out buying the 9.99 Autozone tool kit (2 of them) and a Snap-On ratcheting screwdriver and a Dewalt 9.6v drill. I now have the equivalent of about 4 sets of those 9.99 tool kits from Autozone, and decent ratchets. But the Snap-On screwdriver and Dewalt 9.6v drill still remain!

i have experimented with a lot of their stuff over my career. most of it i would stay away from, even though its got a warranty, sometimes its just not worth the hassle.

heres what didnt work out for me:

small wrenches and sockets either broke or rounded out the fastener i was working on.

most of their air tools are weak and dont last very long.

screwdrivers twist very easily. same with the allens.

pliers & vice grips loose their teeth, slip, twist and generally just suck.

heres what has worked for me:

a $10 die grinder is still going strong after about 17 years. the collett broke once so i bought another grinder (same model). it wasnt as strong so i just changed colletts and tossed the weaker grinder in my box at home.

i have a large wrench set (1 3/8 to 2), i have used a few of them a lot with no problems.

the 3/4 drive impact sockets have been good to me too.

i will always recommend craftsman for most tools. good quality at a reasonable price. the screwdrivers and allens arent as good as snapon or matco but the wrenches and sockets are (imho).

most snapon and matco stuff can be had for about 1/2 price on ebay. i hardly ever buy off the truck anymore.

Tex...

Here's a short run down of what I would recomend as far as tools and where to buy what...

but only right now... the list will change... it does every year...

Screwdrivers... Lowes

Wrenches.. Craftsman Pro series (Sears), Husky (home depot), Cobalt (Lowes).

Ratchets... on the hunt again, but absolutely not Craftsman.

Standard sockets... Craftsman... those ones with the huge numbers on the side... very cool.

Air tools (for home)... CostCo or Sam's club suitcase pack for $100.. it has a 1/2" impact gun, 3/8" air ratchet, High speed grinder, Air chisel, blow gun, etc.... it's really an amazing set of tools for the price, and if they break... so... I'll go buy a whole new set.

Impact sockets... Harbor Frieght

That should give you a good start.

If'n you're looking for a kickass ratchet, Blackhawk has some super nice 36- and 72-tooth ones. I replaced all my Craftsman ratchets with them; I can't stand to use those sloppy pieces of shit after I got my first Blackhawk.

http://www.stanleyproto.com/default.asp?TY...talog=Blackhawk

Don't be scared that they're made by Stanley. Blackhawk is a division of Proto, which are the tools used by the space program. Of course they are rebuildable and carry a lifetime warranty.

Facom is also a not-too-obscenely-priced ratchet with some 72-tooth (or near that) action.

I have a few of their ratchets, and while I don't use them all the time, they're nice to have when you do need them. I have an issue with them, since they're not sealed and have that fine tooth action, they do tend to be finicky if you get them dirty or wet. Rebuildable, but it's still a gripe.

A few years ago, I bought a three (1/4, 3/8, 1/2) ratchet set from Snap-On. Not cheap, but I figure that I don't let anyone wrench most of my cars/bikes, so I can treat myself to a nice ratchet set. Plus, excluding theft, I should never have to replace them in my lifetime.

But I use Craftsman or SK sockets. When the job is dirty, the Snap-Ons stay in the drawer, despite their O-ring sealed design.

I have some HF tools, and they get the job done. I haven't bought any hand tools from them, though. Mainly shop stuff like parts washer, engine hoist, arbor press, etc...

J.

Harbor Fright is the "Dollar Store" of tool shops.

If you are a Do It Yourself (DIY) who maybe uses it a couple times a year, buy your tool from there.

If it more for your line of work or heavy usage, step up to something better.

Almost everything is made over seas, so that is not a consideration anymore, but ther eis a huge gap in design, manufacturng processes, quality control. A lot of stuff does not use hardened steels, follow close tolerances, use higher end bearings, etc.

I've been in a chinese factory to see the final step at the factory being a whacking of the tool with a rubber mallot until it sounded right.

Its kind of like buying a $80 Huffy at K-mart, $500 Diamond Back at sporting goods store, or a $1500 GT at a pro bike shop. You will get what you pay for, ao you just need to consider how you are going to use it.

I was just looking at the Cobalt (Lowes) rachets last night... they look pretty good, and have a 36 tooth head. So I think they are one the top of my list, for the moment anyway, of a good bang for the buck.

And Husky (HomeDepot) has a set of Racheting wreches that look good.

Now I can't deside, Which one to buy. :?

a lot of the ratcheting wrenches are made by gearwrench (or the makers of gearwrench) and relabeled so they are top quality.

i have a 1/2 drive extra long flex head ratchet from husky (home depot) that is a piece of shit. the only thing i use it for is to bar engines over and i have had to replace it twice. its been redesigned and i broke the new model too. but since i dont do engine work every day like i did at KW, i just cant see replacing it with a $200 snapon :? .

I wanted to say many thanks for all of your input on new tools to purchase. After writing the post I did remembered a old set of metric tools that I had in the garage, 20 years old. They are a old set of Western Auto Tools. I remember breaking 2 sockets on one project......and buggering up my hand in the process. Those tools had lots of play in them, and the weren't case hardened. I think I will continue to let the Western Auto Tools remain lost.....it's time for a quality set. Decisions, decisions. you do pay for what you get.

You guys have pointed out some good brands to check out.

Thanks,

Carl