CBR1100XX.org Forum

Raising the bird for front tire replacement

demon

Just got a new tire for the front yesterday and I am wondering if I can safely raise the bird to remove the front wheel. My bike does not have the center stand and I don't own a front bike stand. All I have is a hydraulic floor jack. Will it hurt the oil pan if I place a piece of wood between it and the floor jack. My local dealer will install the tire for $10.00 - $15.00 if I bring him the wheel. He will charge me $35.00 if I bring him the bike. Just trying to save $20.00.

Donnie

Yes, a block of wood under the oil pan works fine. Make sure that it's narrow enough so you don't jack on the header pipes.

Since you don't have a centerstand, there's not a whole lot of lateral stability there, even if you do get the back tire down. I'd find a way to stabilize the bike after you jack it up, or a good yank will tip the whole mess over.

Also, loosen pinch bolts, axle nut, and any caliper bolts before you jack it up.

Yea, the stability issue is what really gets me. If it were the rear, I could set the swingarm down on a crate and get some stability. I have a 6 year old son who likes to play around in the garage when I am at work, and it would devastate me if the bike fell on him. I can fix the bike, but I can't fix the kid. I will probably take the bike to the dealer for the front install. Anyone have a bike lift jack from sears? Saw one on TV and it looks pretty good for $115.00.

I agree with John on this. If it were me I would spend the extra $20. My bike went over in a storm and it cost me $700 to fix.

Ken

If you plan on doing your own wheel removal a lot, invest in front and rear stands. I do the same thing (take only my wheels to the dealer to have tires installed) because I don't trust them with my bike. It'll end up scratched I'm sure.

Not to promote bad behavior, but Redbird showed me how to use the small jack that came with my truck. It's got a small concave top plate that sits very nicely under the oil pan. He had his forks off to do the fliud, and I've had my wheel off twice now like this; in conjunction with the center stand of course. Just don't go thrashing on the bike while it's up there.

I'd been wanting a motorcycle lift for some time, but was held back by the asking prices I'd seen (usually in the range of $300). Last week I found a motorcyle/ATV lift at Sears, of all places, for $119.00. Just had to have one. Haven't used it yet, but it's sitting in the garage, ready to go when I am.

http://www.sears.com/sr/product/summary/pr...pid=00950190000

It would be a necessity to remove the lower bodywork on my BMW as the fairing lower encloses the engine. It would be close for the Blackbird, but I would probably go ahead and remove the fairing lowers just for peace of mind. A piece of 1/4" plywood under the pan should provide enough relief for the exhaust (I have stock headers); the advantage I see is that the wheels are free of any stands, and the tiedowns secure the bike to the lift, which has a large, stable footprint.

I have a lift very similar to the one from Sears. It worked great for my Hardley (which probably spent more time on the lift than the road), but I don't like it for the XX. The pads only contact the exhaust causing you to run straps just to keep the bike from falling over to the left. You obviously should use straps anyway, but it's a real pain in the ass keeping it vertical while strapping it.

I saw a similar lift at a Sam's Club that had little adjustable arms on it that you might be able to make contact the oil pan and exhaust. You could also use pieces of wood to level it, but still.........For the money, you'd be better off with the pair from Handy. They would be so much easier to use.

I'm currently using the centerstand/floor jack method and it works fine for me.

Dropped the bird off at the local honda dealer last night. I'm going to let them change the tire. Think I will buy some front and rear stands in the near future. As soon as the Dunlop 220 wears out on the back, I will put an Avon on it and have a matched set.