CBR1100XX.org Forum

Tire Mounting...

N1K

Forgive the squidly question...

how much of a bitch is it to remove the rear tire?

I've never done it before and I'm trying to decide if I should mess with it, or just say fuck it and have the dealer do it...

It's pretty simple. Takes about 5 minutes if nothing is rusted :shock: on. All the tools you need are in the tool kit under the seat.

1. Place on center stand.

2. Loosen and remove axle nut.

3. Adjust chain tensioners to the front (as much slack as you can get).

4. Rotate wheel slowly, while moving the chain off the sprocket slowly.

5. Jam shoe under tire and remove axle slowly, while holding tire up.

6. Tire/wheel will fall when you remove your shoe.

Careful on the re-install to get the brake rotor between the pads, if you force em, they won't go. Good luck.

Later, Sean.

...getting it back on can be tricky though.... (easier with an extra set of hands)

Yep did this last night-0ff-cake--on----friggin PIA-as nothing really wants to line up--a nice 4 X 6 block helps alot as does opening the rear calipers way out---BTW Nik--I GUARANTEE you will scratch up the rims on the caliper the first few times---nothing personal---its damn near impossible NOT to---just a thought---over the longrun---its a good thing to know how to do

Nik.....Are you hangin' around the garage again?

I'm a whore... I only hang out in here when I NEED something from you guys. :grin:

...getting it back on can be tricky though.... (easier with an extra set of hands)

I found that a shovel helps speed the install... slide the shovel under the tire, and then use your foot to push the handle down... raises tire (aren't levers wonderful) and then it frees both hands to line all the goodies up... There is a company selling a third hand device, for like a hundred bucks... I'll keep using my shovel.. and spend the $$ elsewhere..

way

I found a much easier way to get the wheels on and off.

Open your wallet and pay 75$/ hr for labor at the Honda dealer..... :cry:

See I told you I knew the easiest way :grin:

Nik, a wheel is a rim with a tire mounted. A tire is just a tire. What are you asking, how to remove a wheel or a tire :?: :razz: Scroll up you'll find the Pub.

Waytoslow, LOVE the shovel idea :!: I'll use it next wheel removal.

'member to wrap a shop rag around the caliper so you don't scratch the rim like Joe said and also use a big screwdriver between the brake pads and spread them apart to get the pistons to go back in. It'll be easier to put the caliper back on then.

..... and also use a big screwdriver between the brake pads and spread them apart to get the pistons to go back in. It'll be easier to put the caliper back on then.

Not to 'diss "caps lock", but I wouldn't use a screwdriver for that. Too easy to gouge the pad material. I think you'll find that you can push the pistons back in with your fingers.

Nik, a wheel is a rim with a tire mounted. A tire is just a tire.

Pete, what do you base this on? I've never heard that before. Or, does everyone else agree that this is common knowledge?

not even necessary to dick with the chain adjusters. just draw out the axle then move it forward to remove the chain.

How do you get the tire back on and lined up while trying to put strain on the chain. It's a WHOLE lot easier taking the slack out of the chain.

'member to wrap a shop rag around the caliper so you don't scratch the rim like Joe said and also use a big screwdriver between the brake pads and spread them apart to get the pistons to go back in. It'll be easier to put the caliper back on then.

Granted, my procedure might be a little unconventional ,but I slide the inner rear brake pad out when I re-install the rear tire. That way, you don't have to fuss with the brake pads not having enough of a gap between them or worry about the assembly sliding right or left while you're re-installing. Also, taking that pad out makes it less likely you will scratch your wheel. Once the wheel is installed, it's nothing to slide the inner rear brake pad back in. You only have to take off that one bolt on the caliper. Be sure to wrap the caliper like Joe and Dave pointed out.

I learned this procedure through the school of hard knocks (as I'm sure everyone else learned their respective procedures). When I first removed my rear wheel, I seriously gouged it down to the primer. The gouge is what actually convinced me to polish my wheels. After completing the polishing, I had to make sure I wouldn't scratch it again, which is why I remove my wheel the way I do.

Joe

Just did some quick research. This information was based on the bicycle wheel: the wheel consists of the spoke, hub, and rim. Apparently the rim (which is sometimes referred to as "wheel rim") is the outer portion of the wheel (minus the spoke and hub) that touches the tire. Having a tire mounted on the rim doesn't classify the assembly as a "wheel."

Pete, I hope you understand that I am surely not trying to start a "pissing" contest. It's just that I read this forum a lot and I treat what you guys say (except for the Bird doing 215mph) as gospel. I talk to other riders and sometimes regurgitate what I learn here. I simply don't want to be called out on information that isn't correct.

Joe

I wanted to get a rise from Nik, he didn't feed. DARN

You did... I just wasn't going to give you the pleasure of knowing. :lol::lol::lol::lol: