CBR1100XX.org Forum

Oil filters for bird

firedlt

Anyone have a favorite oil filter for the bird. I have been buying Honda filters from hondadirectline out of florida price isn't bad compared to dealers price. If you buy four or more the shipping is free and they are fast about getting them to you. I was curious if anyone is using the stainless steel microfilter type and if they think they are worth the $$

No favorites.

I like using the Honda ones, but have spun on Fram and K&Ns from time to time. I like the Hondas because there is a guy on Ebay that sells em for 5 for $15 + $4 shipping :wink:

Anyone have a favorite oil filter for the bird. I have been buying Honda filters from hondadirectline out of florida price isn't bad compared to dealers price. If you buy four or more the shipping is free and they are fast about getting them to you. I was curious if anyone is using the stainless steel microfilter type and if they think they are worth the $$

NO!

And don't even think about buying one again, it's all just marketing hipe towards poeple that think Stainless Steel is cool, and the fact they are supposed to be re-useable.

Bad bad bad idea.... :tisktisk:

Thanks Evilxx for the info the link is www.hondadirectlineusa.com it is the same filter as the ST1300 so you just order the ST1300 filter. When you go to the link click on ST1300 store then right column on filters. The part # is HO 768135 phone # 1-888-693-1011 they are $6.99 each. Hope this helps not quite as good as 5 $ 15.00 as listed earlier in post. wouldn't mind having that link :lol:

Link?!

Just did a search and looks like he's not listing, at least now anyway. I will shoot him an email and ask if he is going to list anytime soon :wink:

I buy em at Wal-Mart #6068 . Fits Miata and Maxima as well. They are $1.99 each. I have 25k on mine and no problems to date. They also stock a longer filter (fits older Maximas ) but someone pointed out that it is awfully close to the exhaust header. The short ones fit nicely. There is a very good article by an oil chemist about motorcycle filters. It has made the rounds on this board several times. Searh oil filters and I am sure you can find the link. If your going to buy Honda anyway, save yourself the trouble,

I used to use Fram only then after some research on the web found out that the quality was not the same as in the past. Since the filter is one of the most imortant parts of the oiling system and least expensive I pay a couple of extra $$ to get quality. I won't shop at Wally world, another story. I believe quality is worth the price. It's to bad Honda doesn't build their oil systems like some BMW's with the clutch oil seperate from the engine oil it would make things a whole lot easier, then the clutch material wouldn't be going through the oil passages for the motor.

I used to have a 650 BSA. It need 20-50 for the motor, 90-140 for the gearbox and I think it even ran something else for the primary. What a PIA. It leaked like a Harley and the clutch slipped till it got up to temp. I have never had a BMW (two wheels anyhow) but I cannot see the need to complicate things. Several guys on this board are serious into drag bikes and they can't even break the clutch, much less suffer oil failures from chunks of the clutch face lodging in oil galleries. I really think this bike is too good for some people. If you like to tinker, get something else. These are for piling on miles.

Purolator pure one 14610 I think is the number. It's the same as my 99 Pathfinder.

that number is,one of two. the 14610 will work. if you can get, it on. but this filter is longer than stock. which hits the header pipe of my 99. no my header pipe is not bent. the filter. 14612 is the same size as stock.

STP smo-17...

The K&N one was kind nice it had a nut molded into the top of it for easy removal, and that had a hole in it for safety wire. :wink:

You know you never can be to safe.... :lol:

oilfiltercutout.jpg

I buy em at Wal-Mart #6068 . Fits Miata and Maxima as well. They are $1.99 each. I have 25k on mine and no problems to date. They also stock a longer filter (fits older Maximas ) but someone pointed out that it is awfully close to the exhaust header. The short ones fit nicely. There is a very good article by an oil chemist about motorcycle filters. It has made the rounds on this board several times. Searh oil filters and I am sure you can find the link. If your going to buy Honda anyway' date=' save yourself the trouble,[/quote']

+1, and i used Shell Rotella T 15-40 since the day i rolled her off from the showroom. After 5&1/2 years it had a valve checked the FIRST time at 111k. miles and only half of it valves were out of spec. :roll:

Purolator pure one 14610 I think is the number. It's the same as my 99 Pathfinder.

that number is,one of two. the 14610 will work. if you can get, it on. but this filter is longer than stock. which hits the header pipe of my 99. no my header pipe is not bent. the filter. 14612 is the same size as stock.

You sir are correct. I knew it was one of those 2 #'s.

Sorry dude... not to jump in the middle of you trying to sell stuff (screen name "effects" linking to a website "sportbikeffects.com"), but "filters particles as small as 35 microns" kindof sucks... Good synthetic media filters (Like Pure 1 for instance) filter down to ~5 microns. Anything over -either 20 or 30 microns- (dont' remember which off the top of my head) can cause engine wear... Even run-of-the-mill cheap ass Frams filter down to ~20-25 microns. Then there's the fact that you have to clean it, and hope you get all the shit out of it (fat chance with the kind of pressure it got pushed in there at (50psi when the engine isn't warmed up) before putting it back together and back on the bike... Plus the cost of the filters compared to a $5.50 Pure 1 filter for the 'bird... No thanks...

Mike