CBR1100XX.org Forum

Some external motor questions 2003 bird

mikesail

I hope someone can help me today. Was replacing the cct because its getting too cold here in So-Cal to ride, last night was in the 40's !!!

Anyway, I pulled off the right side slider that the dealer installed for me when the bike was new. This is a slider that mounts to the motor mount just above where the cct is sitting.It would appear that there is a missing spacer between the frame and the threaded hole in the motor. There seems to be about a 1/2 inch gap extra. I'm guessing there was a spacer which was lost when the dealer pulled the old bolt to install the slider.

My second issue is with some oil leak I appear to have. There is a very small amount of oily dirt behind the starter, on the top of the transmission case. I noted that there are two bolt heads showing in the area of the oil which have copper washers underneath. I don't see any other likely areas for the oil to come from.

1. Is there a apacer or other mount between the motor and frame on the right side?

2. What is the story with the copper washered bolts? Can they be taken out and replaced one at a time to reseat the sealing washer? Is this a known leak that anyone else has seen?

Thanks, Mike

Thanks for the assist Todd :P

Can you tell if it is just a solid collar sort of thingy, or is it rubberized?

If it is just metal I can fab it easily here.

the other issue about the copper washers is figuring out if it is really ok to remove those bolts with the motor in place. Assuming that is the leak.

Mike

Looks like a solid spacer.

Todd is correct. The spacer is solid alum, about 3/4 in. wide and about 3/8 in thick from memory. It fell out when I installed my frame sliders. Put a dab of weatherstrip adhesive on the frame side when you fab and install it...then it stays in place but can still be removed.

Doh! forgot the glue :(

just finished milling the piece out, the old bridgeport hasn't been used for a long time and it took me a while to make the damn thing. I measured about 0.35 gap, but the bike has been missing the spacer.

Thanks for confirming things porter.

Mike

My second issue is with some oil leak I appear to have. There is a very small amount of oily dirt behind the starter, on the top of the transmission case. I noted that there are two bolt heads showing in the area of the oil which have copper washers underneath. I don't see any other likely areas for the oil to come from.

Can't help with the spacer, but you may not have an oil leak. I have some oily spooge on

the top of the engine behind the starter on my '03, too; I think it's just crud that forms due

to the vent from the gas tank depositing water vapor, gas vapors, etc., which then collect

road grime. If not, then I have a leak, too, but I don't think so.

Keith, I hear you and hope that's true. I just did not see a vent there, though in truth I don't know where the crankcase vent is located.

Because the washers for those two bolts only had copper washers, I assume that they have a special need for sealing. I have only seen copper washers used like that when there was pressure oil at that bolt.

Does anyone else have "spooge" in that area behind the starter?

Mike

I just did not see a vent there, though in truth I don't know where the crankcase vent is located.

Not a crankcase vent, the vent hose from my gas tank just sort of hangs in that area.

Does anyone else have "spooge" in that area behind the starter?

Yep. I had previously blamed it on a weeping stator gasket. This thread has me looking at it harder and closer inspection reveals the stator is not the culprit. If it is oil, it's very thin oil and there's not much of it.

It's just enough to get some crap to stick the the cases, no pooling of any sort. Running a finger through it gets me a bunch of road grime/grit that breaks up with very little residue left on my finger.