CBR1100XX.org Forum

New Avons Installed

XXTi

Well, I got my Avons installed today. I ordered the 45/46 combo from SWMotoTire and had the same good experience that several others have reported.

I'm anxious to get out and take a ride on the new tires. I went a little crazy and actually cleaned the wheels, forks, sprocket, chain and swing arm while the wheels were off. Combining that with the R&R of the wheels and a 160 mile round trip to Tulsa to get the tires installed, it's been a full day. Now it's time to mow the yard.

I thought I'd start out with 37psi in the front and 39 in the rear. What do you guys run in them?

I talked to John at Avon, he said to try all the way to 44 psi rear! I know the sidewall says 42 max. He said with the variable pitch belts it will give more mileage without loosing cornering grip. I find the ride a little sharp over bumps this way but I like the easy rolling feeling. (quick acceleration, less throttle at highway speed)

I just got back from my first short ride on the new Avons. Man, what a difference they make! I was using D207's before changing to the 45/46's. I thought the Dunlops were pretty good until I tried the Avons.

The D207's felt more triangular compared to the Avons. They felt like you were riding on a knife edge. When travelling straight, they were stable, but when you turned, it felt like you were falling off the edge. That feeling was a little disconcerting until you got used to it.

On the other hand, the Avons feel more round. The best way I can describe them is "linear". The more you lean, the more they turn. There were no noticable transition points. I haven't pushed them very hard yet, but they feel very stable so far.

I'm really surprised that tires can make such a very noticable difference in the bike's handling. I'm and old fart and don't really ride that hard, but even I can notice a difference.