CBR1100XX.org Forum

Paint Q

BDAZ XX

I'm masking off my trackbike to prep it to paint and was wondering.

Its basically 3 colors, Red, Black and Yellow. The lines between the colors, do I mask the side of the paint line and spray the otherside, let it dry, 2nd coat, let it dry then mask off the opposite side of the line to paint the other color.

Will masking tape pull the new dry paint off?????

This is the first thing I have ever attempted to do a nice paint job on, it seems fairly simple but was just curious because the tape pulled the primer off already.

There is some special auto body tape that the shops use when painting like you are. I think I saw some at AutoZone, I'll keep an eye out next time I'm there :wink:

Izzat one of dem aftermarket RC51 centerstands I been hearing so much about?? :stickpoke:

I like the lines, hope you can make it work. Are you going for the rat bike look, or the "I paid for this paint job" look??

Izzat one of dem aftermarket RC51 centerstands I been hearing so much about?? :stickpoke:  

I like the lines, hope you can make it work.  Are you going for the rat bike look, or the "I paid for this paint job" look??

Yep! :mrgreen:

and thats the only stand you can use to remove the Ohlins rear shock with. You cant lift it from the rear with the pitbull, it compresses the shock and it no workie berry well. :wink:

Pfffffft :roll: That is my rat bike look, Sean!

Hopefully this will turnout good enough, so I have the confidence to paint the street RC and the XX the same. If I can do a good enough job then I'll have 3 matching paint bikes. 8)

You have to pull masking tape sooner then later,basically asap,this way risk of pulling the paint is reduced.Pull ahead and away.You can get good results with just regular masking tape,though 3 M makes so-called plastic tape that is just for that.Auto paint store will have those.

When retaping for second color make sure there is just a hairline of fresh paint sticking out, this way no primer will show where the colors meet.

Here my 2 tone paint job on XX.No I did not crashed,just finally got fad up with pos factory black paint.

IMG_0828.JPG

BTW,I painted R1 also

IMG_0829.JPG

I did have time to clean them,rubbing compound everywhere

Hey Randy,

I'm a bodyshop manager, so I may be of some help. As far as masking the colors, you want to get 3M fine line tape. Any auto paint supply store will have it. It will produce a sharp edge which will allow you to get a nice line between the colors. It also has less adhesive on it and will reduce the chance of peeling paint off when you mask for the second and third colors. Depending on the type of paint you're using, you will want to let the color flash off (set up to the touch), but still be soft when you unmask from the first color. Again, depending on your choice of paint, you will probably need to let it set up for a couple of hours before remasking for the next color, to prevent tape tracking on the fresh paint. In the bodyshop we don't have wait that long to remask for the next color, but I don't know what products your planning on using. Lastly, clean the panels thoroughly with paint prep solvent to remove grease, sanding dust, etc and use a tack rag. If you need anything else, pm me.

Ken

1. paint the parts yellow,

2. llet it tack-up, good, 2-3 hours depending upon reducers used, (and if it takes longer to mask it... don't worry, it'll stick, just do a good job masking.. or it'll show, big time!)

3. then mask off what you want to stay yellow, and paint your Red.

4. Remove masking tape fairly soon, 10-20 min.,

5. repeat steps 2 thru 4 for your black.

6. let it tack-up, then shoot it with the clear.

:wink:

It's always easier to cover lighter colors with darker ones. :wink:

This way you'll have three thin coats of paint, and the clear. with a little micro sanding and polishing, you'll never feel the edges.

Good luck... can't wait to see your results. Make sure you post pics.

Thank you VERY MUCH guys, your a wealth of information and I will be asking Q's along the way. TIA!

I'm just playing with it right now. I figured out want colors I wanted after looking at the rough mask. I dont know if this paint scheam will work on the XX though. The lines are different. It should look preatty cool on the RC's though.

I still have to get paint and all the supplies. I have to sell the puppies first to, I dont want to poison them with paint fumes in the shop. Hopefully I should have this project done by years end.

You have to pull masking tape sooner then later,basically asap,this way risk of pulling the paint is reduced.Pull ahead and away.You can get good results with just regular masking tape,though 3 M makes so-called plastic tape that is just for that.Auto paint store will have those.

When retaping for second color make sure there is just a hairline of fresh paint sticking out, this way no primer will show where the colors meet.

Here my 2 tone paint job on XX.No I did not crashed,just finally got fad up with pos factory black paint.

IMG_0828.JPG

BTW,I painted R1 also

IMG_0829.JPG

I did have time to clean them,rubbing compound everywhere

Tomek,

Not to hijack the thread, but what luggage rack do you have on your bike? I am looking for one and I like what you have. Thanks.

The Blue and Silver blackbird looks like its trying to be a busa..  :lol:
Well it is not silver,it is galaxy gray,more like a platinium.R1 is silver/blue.The pictures don`t do a justice to House of Kolor paints that I used.Paint is with very rich,bright with deep gloss and sparkle,better then O.E.M. finish.

BTW I`ve always liked busa`s blue/silver paint job,ther is no doubt in my mind that my XX now is a fast as busa. :lol: