CBR1100XX.org Forum

what is it with honda and leaky brake levers??

dissolvedego

i had this same problem on my 85 nighthawk 700. the brake lever keeps oozing out fluid with use and the little droplets are getting on the plastic dangerously close to the tank. i never had this problem with my yamaha.

is there a quick fix for this, or is it just a patented honda trademark (like clunky transmissions)?

You brake lever has fluid in it?  :scratchhead:  

Your experience aside, this is not a common problem. Where exactly is the fluid coming from?

it appears to be coming from the base of the lever where it pivots, underneath the reservoir (but the reservoir cap is not leaking). this same exact thing happened with my nighthawk, so i'm surprised it's not common.

it's also hard to tell exactly where it originates because when i'm riding little drops of fluid fly everywhere (which is why it concerns me).

Sounds like its the o-ring on your plunger and if so you need to replace it before it lets go. You should be able to just order a replacment from your dealer,its probably a kit. Try this link  

http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/200_0351/fr_...580&parent=5570

thanks... looks like the piston set is what i need. right?

I will add that, I also had an '85 700S, and never had this problem, and nobody I have ever heard of has ever had this problem either bike and you've had the problem with both... At this point, I guess my question is: what do you clean that area of the bike with?? Some cleaners will eat rubber... Did you accidently spray grip glue, or some other solvent on the rubber boot or something??

Mike

I will add that, I also had an '85 700S, and never had this problem, and nobody I have ever heard of has ever had this problem either bike and you've had the problem with both...  At this point, I guess my question is: what do you clean that area of the bike with?? Some cleaners will eat rubber... Did you accidently spray grip glue, or some other solvent on the rubber boot or something??

Mike

honda pro spray cleaner & polish is all i've ever used... i'm pretty sure that's safe on everything (i use it on my desk, computer and tv too). maybe i just have strange luck?

They could go back to drum brakes with a cable, I've never had a brake or clutch master leak, 35 bikes, 20 were Hondas, may have had the wrong fluid put in or cleaning solvent or just a bum seal.

argh... ok, problem solved. and i feel dumb as hell.

upon closer inspection i noticed that the fluid was actually leaking in a small area on the back of the reservoir, then dripping down and around making its way to the piston seals, etc., giving the appearance that it was leaking from that area.

the cause? the rubber seal was folded inward in one spot, allowing fluid to leak. :roll: :oops: