CBR1100XX.org Forum

cheapest OEM eqivalent chain and sprockets

county

22,000 miles and I needs a new chain. I guess I will replace the sprockets also.

So, where do you guys shop for a chain and sprocket(s)? Preferably a set. I don't want/need any of that high dollar stuff.

I tried that PartMonster guy and get no response to my emails and couldn't find the stuff on his website, a shame cause I got a pretty good deal on brake pads from him.

Wow!! I paid $200 from those guys last year. They came way down to $199 :lol::lol:

Good people, fast shipping. Plus, now I have bling 8)

I don't want to go into details, but the experience I had (and some of my friends) on dirt bikes few years ago with AFAM kits was not good, regarding chain's quality . If you gonna buy a DID chain buy it in its own package.

My OEM chain lasted about 18,000. It was near the replace marks. I replaced the OEM chain with a mail order D.I.D. right before a hard trip to SanDiego and back. The new chain went bad on the way to San Diego even though I lubed it at every third gas stop. (it developed kinks and tight spots) but I ran it for at least another thousand miles after I returned home. I gave the chain to "a friend" who owned a local shop. He was supposed to give the chain to the D.I.D. rep, but never heard anything. I don't deal with that shop any more.

I was concerned about damage from the bad chain to my OEM sprockets, so I replaced everything with an AFAM kit. I bought it from "my friend". It was the same kit that is in the sprocket center link.

This chain has held up well. It has about 18,000 miles on it and is no where near the wear limits. I don't think I needed to adjust it at all this past riding season. I didn't even change the adjustment when I replaced my rear tire.

Just lucky on this one I guess.

I don't want to go into details, but the experience I had (and some of my friends) on dirt bikes few years ago with AFAM kits  was not good, regarding  chain's quality . If you gonna buy a DID chain buy it in its own package.

The AFAM kits are just AFAM sprockets and a DID chain. No problems with quality from mine that I bought from sprocket center at all. I don't think I'd buy an AFAM chain for the dirt but thier sprockets are great. (btw, if I'm not mistaken, AFAM doesn't make a chain for the bird anyway)

Parts Monster DOES NOT supply deals anymore to the CBR crowd. That is the first place I tried last year and his price for the chain alone was like $189. WTF?

I never thought he offered any special deals on the things I asked him to quote.

FWIW, He gets his stuff from a distributor (Parts Unlimited), and he made a very small margin for XX folks, but he can only go as low as his price, so he can't compete with people who go directly to the mfg. on things... Tires, for instance, he gets for about the same price as swmoto sells them for. That's the way it goes when you're small time... On the other hand, I've gottan RAGING deals through him on stuff that you can basically only get through a distributor (like Progressive Suspension for instance, or Chase Harper luggage), so it all depends on what it is, and how much markup PU makes before he gets it...

Mike