CBR1100XX.org Forum

Cool/Cold Weather gear

Cossi

Okay, I have ballistics, and I also have a one piece leather suit which some of you have seen. Now the leather suit is BY FAR THE MOST comfortable thing I own for being on the bike. The Ballistics are okay, but I can never seem to get settled in on the bike in them. I normally wear hot weather Under Armour, under the leathers. They are fully perfed on the front, so they are good down to about 60-65* and then it started getting a little cool for my tastes. Obviously I know they won't be good for cold weather, but if I had something to wear under them that would cut some of the wind, and give me another 10* or so, that would be great.

My first thought was the cold weather under armour, but I am not sure how much wind they block. I figure when it gets down around 55* and below, I am pretty well screwed, and have to go with the ballistics.

Anyone have any other ideas? Buying another nonperfed suit, or aerostitch right now, is NOT an option.

Electrics. You'll never look back.

I know, I would love electrics, it just isn't in the cards this year. And, I am not sure how well those would work under a one piece leather suit.

Wanna bet?

I could fix that problem for ya...

I made my own... for about $20.

I 've gotta go to sleep right now or I'ld tell you more.... I have to get up and go to work in 6 hrs... and pull another 12er.

PM me if I forget to get back with you.

I know, I would love electrics, it just isn't in the cards this year. And, I am not sure how well those would work under a one piece leather suit.

How much you looking to spend??? A widder electric vest is about $120, and worth every penny.

+1

I had thought I didn't need an electric vest because it was my hands and feet that got cold, not my torso.

I learned that the body starves the extremities of the warming blood flow when the torso gets cold and needs to retain its heat. Keep the torso warm and the extremities get the blood flow and stay warm too.

Makes a huge difference.

+1

I use Gerbing myself -http://www.gerbing.com/.

+1 and +1 I should have gone Gerbings 20 years ago! It's amazing. This is only the second winter I will have it.

I went out Sunday with the Gerbing, my Jacket and jeans at 50 deg. F. I got too hot at stops and slow traffic! I had to shut it off!

It's not bulky, packs easy, unless your leathers are skin tight it will go underneath.

So, those of you who have tried both long sleeve and vest, is just the vest OK down to below freezing? or do you need the sleeves to go below the big 32?? I rode to work (35 miles one way) down to 20 last year with just heated grips, and am getting heated gear this winter, but didn't know which one to get...

Thanks,

Mike

Mike, if u r going down to 20, no brainer on long sleeve liner vs. vest, just do it. Anyway, that would be if me. Cripes, there is another thing i have to get by the el presidente or on my xmas list, the Gerbing jacket liner.

If u r riding in that cold of weather and have just heated grips, get those cordura atv hand deflectors. Those in combo w heated grips is utter bliss for cold weather riding for your hands. Getting cold wind off hands is more important that heated grips. Once u get 'em rigged, no hassle riding, just hop on, turn up the heat baby and enjoy.

http://www.powersportsnetwork.com/enthusia...ctCategoryCode=

You will need to rig up a aluminum bar to prevent them from pushing against clutch / brake levers, but simple to do. Both Xman and myself have done it.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the cheap film heating elements that you install under your grips. You better have them on low or it better be damm cold or you will burn your hands. They cost around 30 dollars. Also I use a Gerbing heated jacket liner that has coils even in the collar to help keep your neck from getting cold. I can ride in 30 degree weather no problem. I rarely adjust the heat controller for the jacket liner above half way. I can't imagine how hot it would get if I cranked it all the way up. Now that my core stays warm my feet don't even get cold. I wear a thin pair of dress socks and still manage to keep warm.

Electrics. I've got Gerbings jacketliner and gloves and am going with pants liners and socks when I can afford it. Got the permanent mounted Heat-Troller on my Concours and a portable one for the XX. I consider it some of the best money I've spent on motorcycle gear. I ride every month of the year here in upstate NY. Course I pick the days its not snowing and its above 15 degrees. Bikes don't like to start when its too cold.