CBR1100XX.org Forum

How do you clean your chain?

EVLXX

Yeah I thought the superbrite shit was not good for O rings. I use Simple Green or Castrol Super Clean (Walmart purple jug) to clean mine. Water soluable and doesnt harm the rings. I then blast the shit out of the chain with an air compressor to get the water out, after lube.

Havent had any issue with rust or problems with the chain.

Kinley

A friend of mine turned me on to charcoal lighter fluid. I soak down a rag, wipe the chain clean and re-wax the chain. Works great every time.

I wouldn't use that shit. I spray wd-40 on a rag and wipe the chain down. Then re oil the chain

+1 eXXactly. 8)

WTF are you driving through that you would need Engine Bright to clean it?

:P

http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/motorcycle-chain-lube/

.. can of motorcycle chain cleaner and a grunge brush followed up by a can of motorcycle chain lube.

:lol:

Yep.... I actually found that same article just before I posted.

I was trying to come up with the most harmfull stuff I could think of in order to raise some eyebrows and get an ass rippin....

:lol:

Funny though.... I love how they show the effects of WD40 on a bearing...

and then you think of all the poeple that THINK it's a lubricant.

IT NOT a LUBRICANT.

It is however a great cleaner.... cleans the grease right out of your chain.

Which brings up a good question, which is really more harmfull to an O-ring.... A water based Solvet (Engine Brite) or a Petroleum Based solvent ? :?

I also wonder about some of the New Citrus cleaners that are out... some of them are extremely effective at desolving Caked on grease and Grime.

But once again I wounder what it's going to do to an O-ring.

Personnaly I don't clean my chain anymore either... at least not since I switch back to useing Gear Lube (with my special additives) on my chain as my Lubricant. Now the chain cleans itself. :wink:

I too use wd 40 at work as a cleaner. Nothing cuts rust as fast as a scotchbrite and wd40. Lubricate afterwards.

I am installing my first chain soon. The directions say to add grease to the stake link before assembling. Any ideas what type of grease is in the factory installed links? Wheel bearing grease OK? 18+ K on the origional DID chain with little cleaning. I will pull the front sproket cover off every few thousand miles. That was where the real mess was.

I too use wd 40 at work as a cleaner. Nothing cuts rust as fast as a scotchbrite and wd40. Lubricate afterwards.

I am installing my first chain soon. The directions say to add grease to the stake link before assembling. Any ideas what type of grease is in the factory installed links? Wheel bearing grease OK? 18+ K on the origional DID chain with little cleaning. I will pull the front sproket cover off every few thousand miles. That was where the real mess was.

The chain should come with a little packet of KY... Err... grease for the master link.

If/when I do clean the chain, I use kerosene when it's really filty or a rag sprayed with WD-40 to wipe off the light dirt. Since I've been using the Pro-oiler I don't really have that problem.

If you're concerned about how your chain looks buy a new one and only put it on for special occasions. My dirty old chain with lots of lube on it works better than any CLEAN chain.

Try Astro Glyde warming. It's opens up the pores in the metal and gets into all those tight places.

i don't.

and i typically get between 25-30k from my chains.

but i do use a hawkoiler ;o)

I have used a chain grunge brush and Honda Brite. I have also used ( belive it or not ) Formula 409 Orange. The 409 works almost as well as the Honda Brite. I then wipe it down with a clean dry rag and re-wax it. I should ( and will next time... good advice ) use an air gun to blow out the

remaining water. I clean the chain about every 1500 miles, and wax it every other tankfull of gas.

If it wasn't for the O-rings all the mentioned ways would be fine.

In my opinion, no starting fluid, compressed air, Gunk, etc. The only cleaner is kerosene (approved by DID). I don't even use a brush, just a rag, I don't want to hurt the O-rings.

It's been quite awhile since I cleaned to switch to that new Dupont Teflon lube. Stuff is great! Chain still looks clean, not black. Very little sling off and what does is easy to remove, just combines with the brake dust on the rim.

First off.... I'm amazed that poeple are still talking about the Gunk..... It was a JOKE !

Secondly... Compressed Air.... No.... you Will cause a low presure cavity on the back side and possibly suck the water in behind the O-ring.

And-

If it wasn't for the O-rings all the mentioned ways would be fine.

I don't want to hurt the O-rings.

What do you guys think those things are made of..... ? Silk ?

How about a Tough Ass Silicone Rubber of some kind....

Take a tooth brush and some soap too your Tire.... no better yet to one of the Vacum lines on your motor, and tell me when you Hurt it.

If you replace the o-rings you should use one size oversize. Sometimes the fine dirt that gets trapped in there will actually wear away some of the metal on the inside of the links and standard size o-rings won't seal tight enough, allowing for accelerated wear. Always measure with a small set of verniers to choose the correct rings.

If you replace the o-rings you should use one size oversize. Sometimes the fine dirt that gets trapped in there will actually wear away some of the metal on the inside of the links and standard size o-rings won't seal tight enough, allowing for accelerated wear. Always measure with a small set of verniers to choose the correct rings.

I will try that, I'm kinda busy now grinding new teeth into the rear sprocket, seems simple but I'm allso going down 3 teeth and the spacing is a bitch, if your not carefull you end up with teeth real far apart at the end.

I have used a chain grunge brush and Honda Brite. I have also used ( belive it or not ) Formula 409 Orange. The 409 works almost as well as the Honda Brite. I then wipe it down with a clean dry rag and re-wax it. I should ( and will next time... good advice ) use an air gun to blow out the

remaining water. I clean the chain about every 1500 miles, and wax it every other tankfull of gas.

you guys stress too much... just take the fucking thing off and put it along with the sprockets in the dishwasher...

did MAJIC stuff for my old BMC Mini brake hubs, CV joints and slave cylinders

the wife had a bit to say about it tho

:roll: :roll: :roll:

It's been quite awhile since I cleaned to switch to that new Dupont Teflon lube. Stuff is great! Chain still looks clean, not black. Very little sling off and what does is easy to remove, just combines with the brake dust on the rim.

That stuff is pretty neat, huh! After reading the thread about the clutch lever, I went out and cleaned/lubed it and the brake lever. The differnce is amazing...

BTW, DuPont also has the silcon and white grease sprays with Teflon too. I used the whitegreas on the levers' brass bushings.