CBR1100XX.org Forum

Engine knock

SBBXX

This is a strange one. My 97 has developed an intermittent knock. No, it's not the clucth, and I don't think it's the CCT. It's most noticable at idle. I've tried to get a few ppl to listen to it but everytime I do, it's gone. I've finally figured out that it's most prominent after a hard ride. It's never there just after firing it up.

I first noticed it on the way back from Mikey's place in Hamilton a few weeks ago. We had changed the oil there and put in Castrol M/C 10-40 I think. This is the first time for this oil. Is it possible that the engine just doesn't like it? What else could it be?

marty

Thats rickrads little midget ciusin in there. Unlike Rick, He doesn't like being ridden hard :)

Sorry. nothing constructive to add

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

My 97 does the same thing.

Sell it.

I already use synthetic... Amsoil last time, and Mobil 1 this time... Mine isn't something I think is really detrimental... sounds like more of a valve tick to me... maybe a LITTLE lower harmonic, but still not a rod knock or anything... It sometimes happens at idle, but there is usually a sound a bit louder, but the same kind of noise between 1500 and 3000rpm, which may or may not be a CCT... I will turn over 19,000 miles today or tomorrow though...

Mike

• 4 weeks later...
changed the oil there and put in Castrol M/C 10-40 I think. This is the first time for this oil. Is it possible that the engine just doesn't like it?

You think? Mike probably swapped your Castrol for vegetable oil when you weren't looking! :D

Seriously though, I'd suspect valve lash. Especially if it shows up after a hard ride.

Kev

This is a strange one. My 97 has developed an intermittent knock. No, it's not the clucth, and I don't think it's the CCT. It's most noticable at idle. I've tried to get a few ppl to listen to it but everytime I do, it's gone. I've finally figured out that it's most prominent after a hard ride. It's never there just after firing it up.

I first noticed it on the way back from Mikey's place in Hamilton a few weeks ago. We had changed the oil there and put in Castrol M/C 10-40 I think. This is the first time for this oil. Is it possible that the engine just doesn't like it? What else could it be?

marty

My 98 does the same thing. When its cool its quiet as can be, but if it gets decently hot you can barely hear this "thud thud thud" in the bottom of the engine. Sounds loudest on the right hand side ( if you're on the bike ) towards the bottom of the faring. As soon as the bike cools off it goes away. I've chalked it up as normal since it has been doing it for well over a year now.

Its not loud, and can only really be noticed if you are specifically listening for it. You can also "kinda" feel it in the footpegs I noticed. But for what its worth, I do believe it has since gone away or been severely decreased as a result of switching to a 50/50 synthetic blend.