CBR1100XX.org Forum

engine trouble still

frustyd

hello all,

i recently posted about an engine problem I was having. Well, after rebuilding the carbs, replacing the plugs, changing the air filter, adding in-line fuel filters, and checking the vaccumm, the problem is still occurring.

At about 4k rmps or higher in first, it seems to jerk in and out, then immediately when I shift into second, it jerks a little bit, and then into 3rd and 4th,5th& 6th it's really bad. In fourth gear, I'm only able to achieve around 60mph. It feels like it's waiting for something to kick in and never does...the throttle is wide open at this point. I can have the throttle wide open in 4,5,6 and it stays about at 55mph waiting to kick in. It isn't the gears that are slipping or anything like that. Also, if I pull the clutch in while in 3rd, the engine will die, but will jump start immediately when let out and idle fine again. The problem seems like it has to do with the bike starving for fuel, but someone mentioned an ignition problem and we haven't checked that out yet. Any last suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

hi Dusty,

don’t know which model you have. I think it is called petcock assembly (where the fuel tap is), the 97 models have it. In there is a diaphragm. Check this one. Because if this is damaged it causes the same behaviour you are describing.

I have never had an ignition prob. on any Honda I've owned, but throw a timeing light on to rule it out.

Have you done all the tests from the other thread? Done an operational check of the fuel petcock and carb slides?

Where are you located? I would LOVE to work on this problem. My bike doesn't break enough. :razz:

I still think it's a fuel prob. Maybe carbs still have goo from the 6 mos. storage.

let us know.

I know you have probably checked this (and I don't mean to insult you) but with this being a carbed model, I have found that there is one vaccum hose that runs to the tank that caused me the exact same behavior. I had to stop along the road, remove the gas tank and hook everything back up. Sounds like you have gone way above and beyond that, but that one simple little vaccum makes all the difference. The problem with mine is I hooked it up to a dead (not used) nipple vs. the one it needed to go to. After that, I am useless, sorry.

MaXX

thanks for the feedback,

I've checked the petcock, the right vaccuum hose is on, I even tied a big seringe looking thing to the vaccum under that tank and taped it open to make sure that was working properly and it still didn't fix the problem. I think I'm going to have to take it to a shop and pay the $60 an hour they charge because I've already spent too much time on the issue.

I'm located in Kansas City Missouri.

I'll keep you guys posted

You mentioned that the carbs were rebuilt.

Were you having this problem before you rebuilt the carbs?

It sounds like a float is stuck in the up position, and the carbs could be

out of sync. also - Have you look into this possibility?

I'm still working on this issue. We just replaced spark plug wires and are going to check out the ignition continuim module. This weekend, I was finally able to shift into all 6 gears and achieve high speeds. However, I was only able to do that if I held the throttle open about an 1/8 of an inch. If you opened it up anymore, the problem still occurs.

It's about time to give in and take it to a professional...hopefully I'll have an answer in about a week or so.

It's very frustrating though.

1/8th of an inch??? As we have said this is a carb problem. It is not hard to find. If you go to a "professional" you will be hit with $60 an hour or more. :shock: Hell they will probably charge an hour to get the body work off.

When that guy did the carb rebuild, did he notice if it was all stock jets and needles? Did he completely clean everything. one little chunk of goo left over from stale gas in just one carb will slow the enginge down.

Did you check the vac. slides for operation like I told you to?

The floats are not adjustable on these carbs, but if you put a hose on and crack the float bowl drain screw, do you get gas from all four?

MY bike was used and not running right. I took the fuel petcock apart and found the rubber diaphram was installed with a crease in it. From Honda or previous owner, I don't know. This caused #3 cylinder to suck air and the fuel petcock to not flow enough fuel. At that point Honda didn't sell petcock parts seperately (hope they do now) and it cost $153 for the entire petcock assembly. I did talk long and hard to Honda and got it paid under warranty, even though the bike was out of warranty. :grin:

So there still are things to check, don't give up. good luck!!

• 1 month later...

I'm finally getting my bike back from the shop. The huge mystery seemed to be that the needles weren't moving fast enough or something like that. The mechanic put spacers in to correct the issue and the bike seems to be doing fine. He had it out and was doing peg stand wheelies in 3rd gear. Nothing like joy riding on someone elses bike. Too bad it took them 6 weeks to finally get the job done.

Thanks to everyone who responded and helped out!

• 4 weeks later...

Unfortunately I was completely screwed by the mechanics that worked on my bike. The day after I picked up my bike, the same thing continued to happen. I was pissed, but since they kept my bike for 6 weeks and didn't fix the problem, I didn't want to take it back. I took it into the Honda dealership on Thursday and got a response by Friday. The mechanic took it for a long test ride and said there wasn't anything wrong with the carbs at all. The problem is sometype of recharging problem he thinks. He mentioned the stator. I'll have the final results by Wednesday.

I spent $200 trying to fix this myself, then the shitty mechanics charged me $300 for whatever they supposedly did to the carbs, and now it'll probably cost me another $500-700 to fix this electrical issue. It's hard to find honest people these days.

The problem is that mechanics get paid crap wages. Therefore, you're not going to find a lot of smart ones. You'll find plenty who can follow step-by-step instructions, but few with the thinking power to actual ANALYZE and DIAGNOSE a problem that is not obvious. Even if they're honest, they're just not that smart.

I'm pretty lucky to know a couple of bright ones, who are well paid. They are hard to find though.

Mine did this, but it was water in the tank. No doubt that's been addressed. I ended up checking to make sure there was enough gas coming through the pump and had it pouring into a plastic jug. My friend was holding it while I was idling the bike. He looked at it and asked what the clear stuff was floating around the bottom (water). Crap..... Luckily I only wasted a weekend on that one :]