CBR1100XX.org Forum

slipon muffler design question

brianmacza

has anyone ever considered making their own slipons?

The commercial slipons are too noisy for my taste... but I still want to reduce the weight of the bike by trimming back on the amount of metal in the pipes...

any guesses on something with baffle plates similar to the real thang but maybe aluminium or titanium?

It has been done Brian. There are a few pics floating around here and there with homemade exhaust. Mostly for undertail designs, but I've seen a couple of others. I am more of a buy it-and-modify-it kinda guy than build from scratch, and totally respect the guys that can fab from nothing more than a drawing :wink: The baffle idea sounds good, would be nice not to have to ever worry about repacking. I know there are a few dirt bike exhaust manufacturers that using this design, so it must work :D

there were pics on a website somewhere of a gutted XX muffler - was thinking of scouring the 'net and looking at what the gurus did and seeing if it could be replicated in a lighter/smaller format

alternatively, I may just have to bite the bullet and buy some used slipons and modify them "'cos I can"

Fortunately I have a lathe and milling machine available, as well as gas welding kit. The link tubes for slipons I can get from a local manufacturer for almost nothing (does a bottle of Jim Beam count as almost nothing??)

http://www.bikersoracle.com/jaws/exhaust.htm

some content:

7th.jpg

5th.jpg

Try Motorcycle Magic - evil Eric. He has customized a lot of superbikes in his day.

He is also the only supplier of WMP slip-on's for Stock XX headers.

I got a set from him. These pipes are made in Belguim.

Tel No: 011 394 0333

They might be able to assist you with the info you need.

Hes had a couple of Concourse winning bikes.

The last one he did was a ZZR1100 with turbos and nos, made it a cafe racer. It was also shown in the Bike SA mag.

He's also cot a hellofalot of spares and secondhand stuff for all bikes - scrap yard.

I'm sure you can pick up some damaged pipes from him to set you off.

I know he's got a set of stock xx pipes - mine - they replaced my pipes after the insurance claim.

Let me know if you didn't come right.

You can also try customworx - they do the choppers and cruisers, maybe they can assist?

I'll mike the holes and see whats involved. Will have to get some decent ally stock - my shit is all too small (biggest billet I have is 25mm diameter - prolly too small.

Considered doing this a while ago, but ran outta energy :?

I myself enjoyed the stealth of the stock pipe, but hated the looks of them. I went on a search for something quiet and looking good.

I went with the Leo Vince pipes. I had to keep the dual look. Birds with a single sided pipe just look GAY. :lol:

They are pretty quiet, look good, and as a bonas I have only seen 2 or 3 other bikes that actually had Leo Vince pipes.

So as most people have never seen a XX, I got a rare bike with rare pipes. :D