CBR1100XX.org Forum

Adjust chain-Can't loosen axle bolt!

BarryG

How to do I loose the axle bolt to adjust my chain? Just got the bike and I think it's torqued at 70-80lbs/ft? The toolkit wrench by itself won't budge it even if I tap it with a hammer.

What do I need to get to loosen it??

Thx,

Barry

Guest rockmeupto125

You need what's called a breaker bar, or strongarm. Its just a long bar with a socket drive, and you get more leverage from it. Either 3/8th's drive or 1/2 inch will do. You can usually take the toolkit wrench with the extension on it and stand on it, but who knows what monkey tightened it the last time.

Good luck. Hopefully yours won't end up looking like mine did last winter.

17230809-M.jpg

17230810-M.jpg

I had the same symptom: fucker would NOT move, even with a 3" breaker bar. You can get a big breaker bar and 1/2" drive socket set at your local harbor freight for under $20 most likely, and I'd suggest using the proper tools over the toolkit any day.

Good luck. Hopefully yours won't end up looking like mine did last winter.

17230809-M.jpg

17230810-M.jpg

I had the same symptom: fucker would NOT move, even with a 3" breaker bar. You can get a big breaker bar and 1/2" drive socket set at your local harbor freight for under $20 most likely, and I'd suggest using the proper tools over the toolkit any day.

yeah... and like mine did at SeXXt!!

Mike

Do you have a torque wrench to properly tighten it back with? I got mine at Sears...you could actually use it to loosen the nut. IIRC it has a 250 ft/lb limit.

I'm gonna buy a torque wrench too.....but why would a torque wrench help in loosening the nut???

It's probably WAY overtorqued because they tend to overkill these things when they assemble them. I went over my bike right after I got it with a torque wrench and torqued everything correctly. At least, all the stuff I could see without removing the entire engine :lol:

Harbor Freight Tools. They're inexpensive, good enough for a guy who's not making a living beating his tools to death every day. Here's a store locator. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/reta...l_stores.taf#CA

Personally I wouldn't use a torque wrench to get the nut off, but I think what he's getting at is that generally they're longer than ratchets and you can therefore get more leverage.

Do you have a torque wrench to properly tighten it back with? I got mine at Sears...you could actually use it to loosen the nut. IIRC it has a 250 ft/lb limit.

I have a Sears torque wrench also, does it give a correct reading if I use a 3/8" wrench with a 1/2" adaptor? I have wondered about this becuase I am to cheep to buy a 2nd torque wrench.

A couple items I'd suggest:

25" breaker bar $14.99 (I've got one and it's GREAT!)

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Disp...temnumber=30395

17 pc. 1/2" dr. metric socket set (you'll need the ratchet and a 22mm for the other end of the axle

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Disp...temnumber=45467

I have a Sears torque wrench also, does it give a correct reading if I use a 3/8" wrench with a 1/2" adaptor? I have wondered about this becuase I am to cheep to buy a 2nd torque wrench.

You bet it does. Torque is torque baby.

17 pc. 1/2" dr. metric socket set (you'll need the ratchet and a 22mm for the other end of the axlehttp://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Disp...temnumber=45467

Awesome! Thanks....there's a harbor store near me as well I found out....I'll be going by there tonight or tomorrow.

17 pc. 1/2" dr. metric socket set (you'll need the ratchet and a 22mm for the other end of the axlehttp://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Disp...temnumber=45467

Awesome! Thanks....there's a harbor store near me as well I found out....I'll be going by there tonight or tomorrow.

While you are there I suggest you pick up a couple of things that will come in handy...

22mm socket - six sided and a set of metric hex sockets. They will come in very useful working on any Japanese bike!

Hex set - http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Disp...temnumber=35183

Personally I wouldn't use a torque wrench to get the nut off, but I think what he's getting at is that generally they're longer than ratchets and you can therefore get more leverage.

Exactly, I use a breaker bar also even though the TW has a ratchet head. You need a breaker bar anyway for loosening the lugs on your car when the tire shops install them with air wrenches set on max psi. Try breaking those bitches loose with that little tire ironwrench on the side of the road!

Oh ya, and pick up a torque wrench while you're there.

I don't work for harbor freight either, altho my company does sell hand tools. They are a great, inexpensive alternative for the shadetree guy or someone looking to get started doing their own maintenance.

I'm gonna buy a torque wrench too.....but why would a torque wrench help in loosening the nut???

NEVER break torque using a torque wrench. you will simply fuck its calibration all up. I think he means a torque wrench will help the next time you get it off, as you and make sure its not overtorqued when you put it back on.

NEVER break torque using a torque wrench. you will simply fuck its calibration all up. I think he means a torque wrench will help the next time you get it off, as you and make sure its not overtorqued when you put it back on.

GOOD, somebody beat me to saying that!

Mike

Damn, I didn't know...this is my first "clicker". My other TW's were "pointer" type. I'd been PISSED if I'd screwed up my new wrench. Thanks for the info.

SELL IT!

Then buy another one in a few months. :wink:

Last year I went on a ride with a guy who owns an independent shop. While underway we notice another rider who's rear tire was showing cord so we go back to this guy's shop to replace it. He gets it mounted and balanced then goes to put it on the bike. He asks the owner of the bike to lean on the seat while he takes a breaker bar to the axle bolt to tighten it.

He damn near lifts the bike with the rider off the ground tightening it and then doesn't even fuck with the adjuster once it was tight. :roll:

I expect this from a stealer, but not an independant. This is why I won't let anyone wrench on my bike.

Like above. You can get a breaker bar anywhere: Sears, Home Depot, Lowes. It makes the job easy.

And NEVER use a torque wrench to loosen.

And NEVER use a torque wrench to loosen.

Really?

I set my 1/2" drive, Craftsman "click" TW to about 90 ft*lbs, then loosen.

I always figured it was no more harsh on the TW than tightening a bolt to that value.

IIRC, I don't think it clicks when I loosen the 69 ft*lb axle nut.

(Now the first time I loosened that same nut, I used a breaker bar and thought I'd turn the motorcycle over before it would come loose. Always wondered if the factory torqued it like that or the stealership boneheads.)