CBR1100XX.org Forum

Xenon bulbs

mrsquirrel

Well, to run a true xenon bulb you're going to need an HID setup.

If you're talking about the halogen bulbs with "xenon" written all over the package, those are just that- halogen bulbs with some tinting on the glass to make them look blue- waste of money as far as lighting is concerned.

is there any changes required to the regulator? when doing this?

Have heard about guy's burning the regulator with similar setup's - not on a bird yet, but other bikes.

I ran 100w bulbs for the last 30k. Much brighter than stock no issues with the lense, reflector or anything else, though it was probably helping send my stator to an early grave.

That said, the HID system blows away even the 100w bulbs, plus it draw less watts than the stock 55w bulbs. Win/win.

Just what I was about to ask! Dealer told me today that he has heard of hotter bulbs melting plastic...has this happened to anyone to your knowledge? I just got a modulator and would love to bump up the wattage while doing it. What is the "better" bulb type for the bird?

The only issue I've heard of on the XX is the base, or adapter ring, whatever you want to call it, melting. I'd blame this more on the heat generated by a poor contact than the bulbs themselves, because I went 30k on mine without any sign of melting.

Never heard of any problems with the reflector or lense.

The only issue I've heard of on the XX is the base, or adapter ring, whatever you want to call it, melting. I'd blame this more on the heat generated by a poor contact than the bulbs themselves, because I went 30k on mine without any sign of melting.

Never heard of any problems with the reflector or lense.

I thought I also remember some issues with the hi/lo switch not working/working well after a while.