CBR1100XX.org Forum

For all you tire killers..What tires would work well for me?

Timido

I have worn the serch button out on the Tire Choice.

What Tires will I be happy with? I have put about 2k miles on my blackbird It now has about 30k. Along with some steering head bearings chain and front spring/ oil I am going to replace the cupped tractor tire looking duplop 207s'. I am planning to use the bike to ride to work and play with some weekend trips. I was thinking about the road pilots or powers Z6's or Avon's. Any good or bad experiernces with them? Expexted Miles out of a set?

Thanks Tim

If you want a tire killer, I'm your man.

these are rear mileages.

Z6, 4200 miles to cord.

Road Attack, 4400 miles to cord.

020, 4400miles to bald.

two Avon 46's 4500 and 4700 to bald.

All tires handled about the same for me, some subtle differences, nothing to lose sleep over.

Currently on contiforces, doing OK for now.

My rear Pilot Power is at the wear bars in the center, with just over 5K miles, but I don't slab all that much. I am no canyon carver, believe me, but the tire is worn about the same all over. The front still looks good, I expect another 500-1000 out of the rear and 2000 out of the front.

Avon 45/46st or the Pilot Roads seem to be the most popular choice.

As far as mileage it seems that most get 5-8k out of a rear maybe twice that on a front. There are a few exceptions.

As for the tire you choose being a part of the happiness equation-----if you are a' 4X4 with all terrain tire' kinda guy---that gets that warm fuzzy feeling from the hum and vibration of the tires---the Avon 45/46 is definetly your ticket, with the Grand Canyon type grooves on the 46.

My favorite set up so far has been the Pilot Sport front/ Pilot road rear.

I must add though---I bought some Pirelli Diablo on a promotion---and they are great--so far. Since I only have about 2k on them--don't know what they will do for tire life. They turn in easier/quicker for me than the Pilots (which were very good), and feel a little smoother. If they last about the same as the Pilots--it will be real toss up which of the two I will choose for replacement.

Good luck on finding the ones that are 'right' for you---happy trails kel

I loved Avon 45/46ST. Then I got Pilot Roads. Now I think Avon sucks hind tit. My current PR has 7500 miles on it, and it looks like an Avon would at 4k. And they're not twitchy like Avons.

My vote: Michelin Pilot Roads.

I have to agree that the avon's sucked big time. I'm running the pirelli diablos as well( thanks to JRA) and absolutely love them. The turn in is great no more head shake(caused by av45 avon) and they stick like crazy. I to only have @ 2000 miles on mine so don't have a clue as to how long they will last.

Dave

Well I am far from being an expert!! but here is my $.02 worth!!!

I bought my bike new, had the stock Dunlop 205's got about 5k out of them. They rode pretty good, seem to stick well. Next tires Pilot Roads, hated them from the first day. Harder Compound and if you hit the smallest pebble in a sharp turn, better be ready. Yesterday I replaced my 4k Pilot Roads with Dunlop 208 ZR's, just returned back from first 150 miles on them, and let me say with out a doubt these are far superior tires to the Pilot Roads. They may not last very long, but they stick like glue in the turns, and I was intentionally trying to hit pebbles in turns, never felt them slip once. $206 to my door. The Pilot Roads I have are maybe on the outside Half Worn, I will be finding a home for them to some lucky person. Even my Girlfriend commented on the Pilot Roads I Quote " the bike feels very unstable now, and I can feel more vibration". I will say I was caught out in rain once with them and they never slipped. But on the Dry pavement, I did not like them. This is totally my opinion, but I rode 150 mile ride on Sunday, and it sucked with the Pilot Roads, and just did the same ride an hour ago, and the Dunlop 208 ZR's made it a totally different bike.

Todd

Tap... I agree, the 208ZR will feel MUCH better than the PR, simply because of the nature of the PR... very hard carcass tire for heavy ST bikes, so yes...you WILL feel everything, although I kindof like feeling everything... BTW, you have a PM :wink:

Mike

I tried the Pilot Roads between 38 and 42 psi front and rear. And even with the extra weight of the girlfriend on the back, the bike just would not track right. Just seemed like you could never find the right line. The 208's are totally opposite, track very straight, and the bike sticks to the road very well, I am running the 208's at 38 psi.

Todd

Im on my second set of 208's and love them... not regrets except the rear eats through in 4-6k miles. Stick like white on rice though...

I tried the Pilot Roads between 38 and 42 psi front and rear. And even with the extra weight of the girlfriend on the back, the bike just would not track right. Just seemed like you could never find the right line. The 208's are totally opposite, track very straight, and the bike sticks to the road very well, I am running the 208's at 38 psi.

Todd

You must have got some really crappy PR's mine are the best tire Ive been on so far but I haven't been on the Avons, Pirelli, and any Continental so far.

Def a step up from the Dunlops, Bridgestones, and Metzlers Ive tried. :D

I have driven over 40 Blackbirds, on almost all tyres.... (don't ask why...).

There is a huge difference between these bikes. Some is because of the tyres, some the springs or just worn out bearings.

I have tried a lot of tyres on my XX, and of the current models I choose the Michelin Pilot Roads. They will last long, give good grip and feedback, and are very forgiving. Yes you will feel pebbles, but that is just what I want! I am no racer (on the public roads that is), but à can use these all the way to the edge, and they still feel stabile.

It is even possible to stand up on the pegs, no hands on the clip-ons, and still make the turns you want (even at the dreaded speed of 50MPH). I have no experience with Avons, because they are hardly any sold in Europe (and they are made here...).

In the big tyre-test of the biggest motorcycle-magazine of Europe the Michelin was chosen as best (with a huge difference) for the heavier Sports-Touring bikes....