CBR1100XX.org Forum

Bad rotors?

bar10dah

When I bought this bike, I didn't notice the strange oscillations the brakes make while stopping. I really didn't notice, because I was having too much fun playing with my new toy! But after riding a while, I'd notice the bike had a tendency to change stopping speed (don't know how else to describe it) while braking. Kind of like when a rotor is warped or worn unevenly in a car. Is it the same thing for bikes? I suppose it would be. Same concept. Anyways, when I switched over to Galfer braided lines and Galfer black pads, I didn't feel the oscillations anymore! At least, if it was still there, I didn't notice it as much. But as time went by, they started to oscillate again. At one point, I had sanded the rotors and pads and they felt better. Not totally fixed. But not as bad. Don't know if that was just in my mind or not, as I really didn't get on the brakes hard because I was taking it easy on them to re-seat them. Well, the oscillations are still there. So, I'm thinking warped rotors. Does that sound about right? I checked with cyclebrakes.com for some Galfer rotors. They're $445 a pair! Geez! I thought about buying some stock ones on EBay, but would hate to buy a pair of (no, I swear they're straight! buy them!) warped rotors. Ideas? Thoughts? Opinions? Suggestions?

Sounds like they are warped slightly. Could be just one of them. If they are off just a bit, they can be re-ground to flat. I'm not sure who does that on bike rotors, maybe someone else will have a contact.

Do you ride around in the city a lot?

It is most likely just a buildup of brake dust in the rotor buttons. When that happens, the disk cannot move side to side and so has the feeling of being warped. Get in there with a scrubbing brush and some water and clean them out. You should be able to turn each button with a finger or two. If you can't, they're stuck and need cleaning.

I had the same problem with my b/bird and whilst it was in for a service the mechanic told me the rear rotor was warped, apparently he said it is a common fault on the blackbird that moisture gets between the wheel and rotor which causes corrosion which in turn pushes the rotor out causing it to warp. He fitted me a EBC one which costs about £80.

Chris