CBR1100XX.org Forum

Correct way to set fork oil level?

bajjer9

I changed my fork oil last night and this morning the first bump nearly sent my spine through the top of my head!! Once I started investigating seems I put too much oil in. The manual said 16.3oz and I put 16. Measured from the top with forks extended (is this part correct?) I discovered 140mm is NOT 1.4cm!! I cannot beleive I messed the conversion up!! How should this be done? Can someone spare me searching through 13 pages through the search function and break it down gently?

forks compressed is the way to do it. Just remember that 25.5 mm equals 1 inch. 140mm is equal to right at 5.49 inches. You measure it with the spring out and the damping rod in with the forks fully compressed. You'll want to pump the rod a few times to get the air out of it.

I discovered 140mm is NOT 1.4cm!! I cannot beleive I messed the conversion up!!

:holyshit: :shock: :holyshit: :shock: :holyshit: :shock: :holyshit:

Fork is fully compressed, spring and the spacer collar out. Damper rod can be in our out (I tired and measured if it made any difference for the anal retentive ones - tranlates as myself). Here is the link for detailed description of how I did it while forks are mounted on the bike. If you have a vacuum brake bleeder, mesure and mark the space you want to leave on the line and insert the line into the fork. It will suck the oil the tip of the line so you are set to go.

It's done with the dampner out? So the fork is compressed with nothing in it? Anybody go with less airgap than the 150 mm recomended? Talking to the guys that had them installed at HookersXX said it felt pretty soft and since I'm no light wait, I thought about having less air gap.

Guest rockmeupto125
I bet these UK bird owners are laughing at us..

"Dumb fuckers cant convert mm to cm! All ya gotta do is move the freakin decamil place!"  :D  :D

Never did learn Whitworth. What IS a centimeter in farthings, anyway?

With the stock forks, shouldn't they hold the same amount on every bike?  Instead of going through the hassel of measuring, why not just put in the 16.3 or whatever the book says?

Cause you can never get every drop out. Unless you can get it all out, you never know how much is there.

***Edit****

If I'm not mistaken if your a heavier rider you should have a bit more oil than a lighter rider. But I could be wrong. :roll:

Never did learn Whitworth.  What IS a centimeter in farthings, anyway?

I think it's about a pound and two shillings. :lol: