CBR1100XX.org Forum

Idle

twolfe

I have a 1999 XX with 6500 miles. I've only had it for 4 months. It seems to have a rough idle. When cold it fires, and will run real rough for a few seconds before clearing up, or stall. After a few seconds will idle upto 2000 rpms, then slow back down to a normal idle when warmed up. Even when warmed up the idle is a bit rough. I run the idle at about 1200 RPM's just to smooth it out a bit. The bike runs great otherwise, and has plenty of power and normal MPG's. I changed the plugs and airfilter, as well as added injector cleaner to a tank of gas. Is this normal for an XX to idle rough, and stall once or twice when started cold. I expected a fuel injected bike to be smooth?

My 99 idles rough as well. 1200 rpm is still in the accepted range of 1100 rpm +/- 1000 rpm. I just take it as first year of fuel injection quirkyness. The 99 has a baro sensor that no other model year XX has. Think they refined the system a little after 99.

. 1200 rpm is still in the accepted range of 1100 rpm +/- 1000 rpm

WOW :shock:

Those fuel injected bikes sure have a broad idle range

:wink:

:P

OK, my bad. +/- 100 rpm. one too many 0's. 1000 to 1200 rpm.

Hey Demon, been hitting those vicodins still?

Got any leftovers??

Vicodin can be your friend!!! 8) It kept me from going crazy with pain when I totalled my bike and screwed up my shoulder in May. Just don't take em on an empty stomach! Wow!

twolfe- My 99XX has the exact same symtoms as yours. I've had mine for about 8 months and it has about 25000 miles. It had about 21000 on it when I bought it, and I just recently noticed the symtoms you are describing.

I have replaced the plugs, airfilter, CCT, and use premium fuel. My biggest complaint is the rough & lower rpm idle just on cold start up. Once it has been running a minute or so, everthing is normal. Like yours, when under 50 degrees, it has died on initial start up, but starts back up, and is fine.

Randy

My 99 does this too and i am currently replacing plugs fuel press. reg. and airfilter (it's pretty old). i.m doing fuel press regulator because i heard similar probs where cleared up by this on another post whereas the diaphram was blown on the old one. main prob for me is i dont know if it lowers pressure under vac, or allows higher press under vac.

another thing that makes this suspect is that i have no fi light from the cpu and i believe i have heard that the cpu on this system (99 no o2 sensor) has no idea what going on in the fuel pressure system or real time combustion quality. so basically, other than the knock sensor the engine on the 99 doesnt know if it's running rough, rich, or lean..

I will report back here if replacing it solves anything or not.

Bought both new. No the 01 never boiled over.

I had the stealership look at the rough idle. They checked everything they could check, but said everything was 'in spec'.

Knowing stealerships... you never know... they may have just wanted me out of their shop.

I used to idle mine down to 1000 rpm and pull up beside people at the drag strip. It would be idling rough enough to make some people think that I'd put cams in it. Mine idles rough all the time. Might need to sync my throttle bodies or something.

Mine is a '99 as well and has the same problem. As soon as it fires i just crank the throttle WFO and it smooths right out...J/K, really I give it a little throttle to around 2000 RPM and let off then it smooths out. If I don't do this it will die and have to restart like everyone else said.

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

I replaced plugs, fuel pressure regulator, filter.

Good things:

Bike seems to start quicker, run a little smoother at idle, more powerthroughout rpm range.

Bad things:

Bike still knocks at all temps, not loud, BUT enough to make my hands constantly go numb at all rpms.

Next diag:

Check timing, to find if the ECM is recieving bad info from a bad sensor thus causing a firing time issue. If no results here, then do a leakdown test.

Any other suggestions would greatly be appreciated. :D

Sorry bout the hijacking, but your simptoms seem similar.

TIA

my wide band o2 air fuel meter showed that it is to rich. leaned it out and idles perfect and will idle down to 800 rpm and snaps at any throttle input.

The idle on my 98 is 1400 rpm's.  I have never had a problem starting it unless something was messed up as long as I choke it when it is cold.

OK, since I have a 98 I know you have something wrong.

You guys with 99's and newer with 1200 RPM idles are suspect also.

If I want I could set my idle to 500 RPM and it would be smooth.

Sounds like you need a carb (97,98) /throttlebody (99 on) sync to me.

The idle on my 98 is 1400 rpm's.  I have never had a problem starting it unless something was messed up as long as I choke it when it is cold.

OK, since I have a 98 I know you have something wrong.

You guys with 99's and newer with 1200 RPM idles are suspect also.

If I want I could set my idle to 500 RPM and it would be smooth.

Sounds like you need a carb (97,98) /throttlebody (99 on) sync to me.

I see syncing the 99 throttlebody is the trend here, but what throws them off anyway?

The 99 has a baro sensor that no other model year XX has. Think they refined the system a little after 99.

The '00 has a baro sensor, as well, and the system was upgraded partially in '01, then again in '02 where it got a new ECU, and operates at a higher pressure.

i.m doing fuel press regulator because i heard similar probs where cleared up by this on another post whereas the diaphram was blown on the old one. main prob for me is i dont know if it lowers pressure under vac, or allows higher press under vac.

The fuel pressure regulator lowers fuel pressure under vacuum, and raises it if there is ever a boost situation.

This is to keep the pressure differential between the fuel rail & intake manifold constant. Otherwise, mapping would be a real bitch.

I got the same problem this morning --

I must say that the outside temp was -5 degrees, and the wind chill was -15 degrees.

I recently had the bike dynod, new plugs oil and aftermarket dma airfilter. Also placed 2 wmp slipons in.

It did not have any problems when the bike heated up, or when the outside temp was above 0 degrees.

It feels and sounds as if the auto choke simply does not have enough power to get the juices flowing. The choke came on and just as quick went off??

The bike didn't die, but idled at 500 RPM or less.

Now I think and I might be completely wrong, that the air pressure has something to do with this. If I remember correctly somewhere I read up that the choke is engaged by a sensor that measures air pressure etc etc etc.

It might be that due to my location in RSA, we normally do not have such cold days, that the bike was now completely confuckulated, and didn't really know what to do with the choke and idle...

I know that if and when it heats up a bit, if I hit the starter the bike will idle like normal, without any problems.

I did not replace the original headers on my bike. There is a sensor located inside. I don't know exactly what this measures, but if it has anything to do with heat, then that might also be a factor. The WMP Pipes does not heat up a lot, they are Carbon Fibre...

twolfe- My 99XX has the exact same symtoms as yours.  I've had mine for about 8 months and it has about 25000 miles. It had about 21000 on it when I bought it, and I just recently noticed the symtoms you are describing.

I have replaced the plugs, airfilter, CCT, and use premium fuel. My biggest complaint is the rough & lower rpm idle just on cold start up. Once it has been running a minute or so, everthing is normal. Like yours, when under 50 degrees, it has died on initial start up, but starts back up, and is fine.

Randy

Welcome. Nice to see another Wichita XXer here.