CBR1100XX.org Forum

Air Filter Brand Test

REXX

What false advertising?

The test clearly showed the K&N to outflow the competition, albeit at the cost of less cleaning ability, but not exactly by a huge margin.

IMO, the test was designed to make the AC look good, and the K&N as well as Amsoil filters bad.

"Filter load test" or something like that was how much dirt the filter held before gaining 10hg of restriction from initial. Not how the filters compared against each other for overall restriction.

Funny how the new K&N, the dirty K&N, and the "cleaned & re-oiled" K&N all had the exact same flow numbers...

In a high dust situation, I can understand having a factory, or "maximum capacity" air filter. For the urban driving most of those diesel guys do, there was clearly a benefit to a higher flowing filter.

If they flowed exactly the same, I'd still choose the K&N, just for the fact it's the last one you'll ever have to buy. Can you imagine how much those ACDelco filters would cost you over time? :?

Looking at my K&N box now..."Provides Superior Filtering", "Imporves Throttle Response" and "Increases Horsepower...bullshit. It may flow more and it's re-useable and that's it...in my case throttle response, mid-range power and fuel mileage suffered. I have since put the stock filter back in and the throttle response is back (I'll have to put more miles on it to test fuel mileage), granted it's not making all that intake noise that "sounds" like you are going faster. The K&N is great if you want to buy a PC for $300 to get your "Inceased Horsepower", which I don't see mentioned anywhere on the box, and don't mind sucking more dirt into your motor. FWIW I've checked out other forums hayabusa, gsxr, sport touring and r1, they are all saying the same thing. Here's another link off Sportbikes.com that interesting http://www.rc51.org/airfilt.htm