CBR1100XX.org Forum

How hot does your XX run ?

Newt

Hello all -

Looking for a little advice for a newbie XX owner. Up here in the Seattle area, we had an unseasonably warm day today - upper 80's or even more in places. I took the new Bird ('03) for a ride of about 150 miles to get it to the 600 mile break-in oil change. While I was out, I noticed a couple things about the engine temperatures. When running at highway speeds in 6th, the temp stabilized at around 185. If I ran in a lessor gear, or stopped for a traffic light, the temp shot up rather quickly - the highest I saw was 226. Fan seems to kick on around 215 or so, an dit seems to take a long time for the temp to come back down to the normal 185ish range after I get back out on the road.

I've searched the archives, and have seen some mention of these things running hot - to the point of overheating sometimes. There is also discussion about wetting agents in the coolant, and burping air out of the system. My questions is this - are my temps high enough that I need to worry about any of that ? Will they get lower as it gets broken in further ? I changed the oil today - and used Honda GN4 10W-40. I plan on going to a synthetic next time - will that lower the temps as well ?

Sorry to be so long - and thanks in advance for your help.

Greg

I see 240-250f never problem so far, The XX does run hotter than most bikes..even the Hayabusa. As far as adding wetting agents (water wetter and engine ice) I wouldn't waste the time or money. I used both and neither made a lick of difference in temps.

That sounds about right. Mine runs about 185 normally with 80F+ ambient temps and will idle up to about 225 or so. That's with 10W40 in. She seems to run about 10 degrees hotter when running the 15W50 oil, but she's never overheated or conked out.

How hot does your XX run ?

Hotter than two rats fucking in a wool sock on a Texas sidewalk.

I have the same problem. I have a 99 so I don't know what temp it runs but I know if I drop below 30-40mph the temp shoots up. I have even had it overheat.

Sounds like we are all running about the same temps - hotter than hell !

Thanks for the info- I, for one, and going to not worry about it until I get coolent burbling out of the reservoir sometime !

Greg

I run Engine Ice Coolant, and it worked for me. It was routine to see temps in the 225-237 range while sitting in traffic on a hot day (85+).

Aside from the fact I was hot, I saw 245 once and decided to try this stuff. According to the service manual, the hot light comes on at 251.

The bike usually never goes above 215-218 now and in 6th gear cruising along the slab at 80ish, the usual temp is in a range of 178-185.

I recommend this product because it does work.

To bad no one on this forum knows how to build a higher capacity radiator for the XX however. I think it would be a good thing, especially in the South where I live.

Can't help much mine is a 98 it runs cool since jetted and drilling the stock exaust, never feel any heat unless at idle in traffic, it runs at the cold line and never been past half on the gauge, I rode my friends 2001 FI big difference, I felt heat bellowing out all the time 90 degree day.

Can't help much mine is a 98 it runs cool since jetted and drilling the stock exaust, never feel any heat unless at idle in traffic, it runs at the cold line and never been past half on the gauge, I rode my friends 2001 FI big difference, I felt heat bellowing out all the time 90 degree day.

It's an FI thing.