CBR1100XX.org Forum

Synthetic oil change interval

REXX

Pretty much anywhere you want to is OK... The service interval for dino oil is 8000 miles though, so I'll probably do the usual "change the filter at 7, add oil, and change oil and filter at 14k" but that's just me...

Mike

Guest rockmeupto125

The whole idea behind synthetic oil is that it has a greater resistance to breakdown.....therefore the change interval can be greater. However, I think the transmission and clutch has a lot to do with breaking down the molecular chains, so I try to shoot for every 5000 mi....and don't miss a good ride or feel guilty if I go over a little.

Same intervals for Syn Blend?? I use HP4M Blend 15-50 Honda Oil only because I get a deal on it locally.

I have been changing every 3-3500.

do what you want, but I figure that if Honda says that dino oil is good for 8k per change, I immagine synthetic is good for at least twice that... especially if you do a bunch of highway... change interval in a deticated track machine is completely different, but for the street, I go at least what the manual says for dyno oil when I'm running synthetic...

Mike

Damn neither did I. I've been changing religiously at 3K, though as it's been said I don't miss a ride or feel guilty if I go a little over that. Good to know 8K is the service interval on dino. That means a fresh oil change should get me to California and back in 2 weeks on the Honda synth I'm using.

I never go over 1500 using Rotella T Full Synthetic or wouldn't with any other oil, prolly a waste but makes me feel better. I only go on short trips less than 50 miles a week mos tof the time during the summer. And add the high temps the bike reaches is the reason for changing sooner than most here.

Keep in mind that the 8,000 miles recommended interval for oil changes in the owner's manual should be viewed with skepticism and suspicion.

Most cars have similar recommendations (~6,000 miles) for "normal use" and more realistic figures (~3,000 miles) for "extreme use" (or some such term). The definition of "normal use", however, is non-stop cross-country travel. Day-to-day start-and-stop is considered extreme.

A reasonable rule of thumb for synthetic is to double the traditional interval, but I'm skeptical, so I back off a bit from that. I end up with 5,000 miles as a wild-ass guess as to a safe yet affordable interval.

Every 10,000 on the speedo.... makes it easy that way.

5K if I start feeling guilty.

And if I go a little over, no biggy... I'll just change the next one sooner and get back on track. :wink: