CBR1100XX.org Forum

Some comments, some questions

Xracer

Hey fellas. I traded up my well-worn ZX11 for an 00' Blackbird a few years ago (short stint with an 00' busa' in there too, hated it as an everyday commuter so after 2 months I got the Blackbird. I've been happy with it over the years, changing a few things here and there but mostly realizing that those Honda engineers are pretty sharp. I've never posted here, but thought I'd share some thoughts and maybe get a few questions answered:

1) Tried 3 different windscreens before deciding that the OEM screen is the best overall, despite how low it is. Anyone else?

2) Gold Valves are great, Hypertech springs are nice, but Hypertech fork oil does something to the fork seals that makes them stick like mad. Stick with Spectro.

3) I've tried BT010's and D208's before going back to the OE-spec BT57's, and I'm happiest with them.

4) I tried the EBC HH brake pads and could never get used to that hairy initial bite. After unsettling the bike 1-too-many times on corner entries, I went back to the OEM pads and again, I think they're the best overall. Just as strong as the HH pads at full power and a lot more controllable.

5) I put on a full Yosh RS3 system a couple years ago and loved the sound and top-end power increase....for about a year. Then the highway drone became annoying day in / day out, and the OEM system went back on this spring. I've re-discovered the low-end grunt I lost with the RS3 and it's a better day-to-day streetbike now. Chalk up another one for "stock is best overall"

6) I've go a PC2 and now that I've taken off the RS3 system, I don't know which map to use - "for stock bike" or "for stock bike with ignition advance". I'm using the "stock bike" map now - does the "ignition advance" map make much of a difference? I do run 94 octane all the time.

7) My stock grips were too hard, or maybe just became too hard over time, but in any event I tried a set of the Gel Pro-Grips this year. Besides wreaking havoc on my Throttlemeister, they're too squirmy and gel-y. Once again, I'll be going back to something OEM Honda, but does anyone know of an OE Honda grip that's a little softer than the XX grip, but with the same dimensions and with the little grove dealio on the inboard throttle end? I'm thinking Gold Wing or PC800. Suggestions?

8) Does anyone else think that the bodywork on these bikes is a bit noisy over bumps? I wear earplugs most of the time, but when I don't I'm always surprised at how much plastic crunching and slamming goes on from somewhere under the bars and instrument cluster. My ZX11 was 7 years old with 56k miles and it was quieter than this bike in the squeaks-and-rattles department. I have all of the little push-fastners in place and in fact I usually replace them with every other oil change. Still noisy.

Anyhow, those are my thoughts, just looking for some feedback on the PC2 and hand grip questions, please. Honda did a great job with this bike - most of the things I've done to improve it ended up not being real improvments at the end of the day, and the thing is wearing like an iron shoe. I just hope the big new XX makes it to production before get the new-bike itch.

I don't remember when but someone else will, but I think in 02 the stock screen taller and it's a direct bolt on.

I use gel Pro Grips and like them alot. I thought the stockers were hard too.

I don't remember when but someone else will, but I think in 02 the stock screen taller and it's a direct bolt on.  

I use gel Pro Grips and like them alot.  I thought the stockers were hard too.

yes, it's taller....everything is hard when you are around Todd.

Man, I love my EBC HH pads and Galfer SS lines. I swear I felt the rear tire skimming off the ground this last weekend going into a couple of turns at Deal's Gap.

Did you still think that exhaust was too loud even with earplugs in?

Welcome the the bird and board!

I've got the dimpled Progrips, like them a lot.

I don't notice ANY body squeaks, I'd try to trace the problem and maybe lube with silicone spray.

The OEM 57's are on my long list to try (again) I'm sick of getting 4-5K miles out of rear tires.

I've liked the EBC brakes for 2 sets and some time, but I'm going to DP next for a change.

I'm carbed, can't help with the PC2.

1) Tried 3 different windscreens before deciding that the OEM screen is the best overall, despite how low it is.  Anyone else?

I've tried 3 different windscreens on my '02 and found my current AirBlade to be my best. Stock tried to push my friggin helmet off my head, Zero Gravity Touring Shield had a NICE pocket but destroyed the lines of the bike in my mind, AirBlade flows with the lines, has a nice pocket behind it and doesn't try to take my helmet off.

3) I've tried BT010's and D208's before going back to the OE-spec BT57's, and I'm happiest with them.  

The stocks were just OK for me. Mileage wise I got 12K out of the front and 6.5 K out of the rear. Went to a Conti rear and it was OK too and gave me 6.5K. Swapped front and rear for a set of Avons (45F/46R) and have found them to be the best so far for me. Grip feels good, wet grip feels good, and after 2.5K they still aren't showing appreciable wear yet. Think I'll be able to get more than 6.5K out of the rear on these. Will NOT be going back to the stock BT57s. The Avons have em beat.

4) I tried the EBC HH brake pads and could never get used to that hairy initial bite.  After unsettling the bike 1-too-many times on corner entries, I went back to the OEM pads and again, I think they're the best overall.  Just as strong as the HH pads at full power and a lot more controllable.

EBC HH all the way. I love the bite, they feel very progressive but much better bite than the stockers, and I have no problems breaking it down for corner entries and rolling hard coming out. The stock pads felt much softer, though they had slightly better initial feel in the wet. My only complaint about the EBCs is they make a lot of dust.

5) I put on a full Yosh RS3 system a couple years ago and loved the sound and top-end power increase....for about a year.  Then the highway drone became annoying day in / day out, and the OEM system went back on this spring.  I've re-discovered the low-end grunt I lost with the RS3 and it's a better day-to-day streetbike now. Chalk up another one for "stock is best overall"  

I've got a 2 Bros system installed and I love the sound and the power. I've had it on since I bought the bike new a couple years ago and the highway drone doesn't bother me at all. I wear earplugs too, as well as having music playing on long trips, and I guess I'm just used to it. I think the stock sound is too quiet...bike almost sounds electric or something. I need a little growl.

8 ) Does anyone else think that the bodywork on these bikes is a bit noisy over bumps?  I wear earplugs most of the time, but when I don't I'm always surprised at how much plastic crunching and slamming goes on from somewhere under the bars and instrument cluster.  My ZX11 was 7 years old with 56k miles and it was quieter than this bike in the squeaks-and-rattles department.  I have all of the little push-fastners in place and in fact I usually replace them with every other oil change.  Still noisy.

My body work is quiet. No rattles there. The only noises I hear are my engine, my exhaust, and the goddamned CCT which I need to replace ASAP.

For you, going back to stock has worked. Others like the changes. To each his own, ya know?

Overall I'm happy with the changes I made to my bike. Not only did it personalize it just a bit, but it also enhanced performance a bit as well as looks, not that the Bird looks bad as it is. Those changes, with the Corbin and Vista Cruise, make the bike a long distance hauler that can get jiggy in the twisties when the mood strikes. I've ridden a shit ton of bikes since I started riding, and I can't find anything that gives me the same kind of ride as the Blackbird. That new BMW K1200S might do the trick, but if Honda gets off their ass and comes out with an updated Bird, I'm on that like stink on a monkey.

Oh yeah...welcome to the nuthouse!

Had Two Bros C5 single great power but too loud, I went back to the stock pipes but drilled them out, still quieter than I would like but sounds good, runs cool, pipes don't get hot now, good power. 98 XX mpg at 42 jetted with K&N

Went back to stock brakes, better in a panic stop less grabby.

No squeeks or rattles, your bodywork mounts or brace is probably loose somewere up front. I have pilot sports front isn't as harsh a ride as the Dunlops I had.

1) Tried 3 different windscreens before deciding that the OEM screen is the best overall, despite how low it is. Anyone else?

I thought the stock screen on my 02 bird was too high.

So I traded someone for the stock screen off of their earlier model year bird which was lower.

I'm like Nik, the early stock screen looks best on the bird to me. It flows with the lines of the bike and looks sleek, plus you don't have that gold tint to it at the bottom, just black.

Mine has the gold tint at the bottom and its the low one.

But I agree...

The lower screen fits the lines of the bird.

I love the lower screen, and I notice no difference over the other stocker off the 2002.

I use a Givi Screen during the winter for better wind protection. I admit it doesn't look that good. Stock '02 screen in warm weather.

I like the EBC HH pads although it did take me some time to get used to them. And I too find they do loose bite when wet.

I'm crossed at this point between the Avon 45/46 on the Michelin PR's. I'm not really sure which I like best. I'm running my first set of Avons now and I'm waiting to see what kind of mileage I get.

My fairing is mostly quiet. I gotta hit a pretty hard bump before I notice any unusually loud jarring sounds.

The grips I use are the cushy foam grips, I think from Johar. Makes a huge difference. I used to damn near get brusies. These grips are fat though. With winter gloves on, it feels like the bars are 4" thick.

Guest rockmeupto125

I've tweaked mine quite a bit to improve comfort and such.

Yet I get on the stocker and go without any problem. Yes, Honda did get it pretty well right in the first place. If you change one thing, you end up changing something else, then something else...its a circle. And you end up with something close to what you had in the first place.