CBR1100XX.org Forum

ignition key problems

SLyFoXX

Question,

has anyone had problems with your key going into the ingnition but not able turn to start your bike, tried both keys? It's the shits when this takes place in Cody, WY!

And if so what did you end up doing to correct the problem?

I had a similar problem when the bike was close to new, a little WD-40 in the lock mechanism cleared it up.

I remember someone suggesting dry graphite lube (apparently available at a locksmith shop) after I had my problem. Makes more sense, wouldn't attract crap like WD-40, though I've had no further problems.

the ignitions locks are a piece of shit!

both keys work fine to unlock the seat....but both keys are difficult to insert into the ignition...it's a 50/50.... sometimes it goes right in ...the other half of the time you have to wrestle with it....

I've given up stressing over it....I just keep a hammer under the seat....

On my '02,the key would go into the switch but would not turn every time.I eventually got pissed and took it to the local dealership.He used a high pressure air hose on it and I have had no problem since.And that was approximately 8K ago.

He also advised against any type of lube or grease because they may attract dirt and grime...................... Did I just make a HD reference?

It not only happens with the Double X, it happens now and then with my F4 as well. :sad:

I've noticed that the keys used on the F4i's and the CBR are very long. At least twice the lenght of the key I had for my VFR. I also struggle when placing the key in the ignition on the XX. Somthing I never had issues with my 99 VFR.

Salut!

Well

since I needed to get home I cut the wires and installed a toggle switch for an ingnition. I will try the air compressor, then go from there. I did try wd 40, and an electrical cleaner that you spray in but with no luck. Damn thing goes in as slick as snot but will not turn! damn pisses me off.

Sounds like one of the tumblers is jammed or something.. Might have to take it to a lock smith and have them look at it..

I had a simlar prob with my fuel cap.. alittle PB Blaster and smooth as silk..

Will get some dry graphite if it happens again..

Dave

Good to hear you got to ride home. I yanked on it a few times when Lori told me about your problem, I didn't feel any movement at all. Afterwards you walked up with this shitty look on your face. I felt bad for you Dude!

At least you didn't have to trailer/Truck it home AND you had a great time with all of us. :grin:

i dunno about ignition locks, but whenever door locks at someone's house get sticky and annoying, i have them spray a shot of graphite powder into the lock, it works like a charm. it's the same ingredient as those over-priced lock fixer products...

(you can buy a big aerosol can of graphite powder for $2 at your local auto shop.... it's the same thing as the mini bottle of "lock fixit" type stuff for a tenth of the price.)

I had this problem on the way to Cody...right after I pulled the tank bag down with the key still in the fuel door. :shock: I got the Leatherman out and straightened it, then had to file some small burrs off of it. That could have really sucked.

Like others said, compressed air cleaning followed with some powdered graphite should do it. Ace or any locksmith shop will have a $1 tube of powdered graphite, just sprinkle a bit into the lock and/or on the key. It's something you should do as a preventative to all your locks anyway.

happens to me every now and then, prolly 1 in 5 gas ups, since i gas up every day m-f.

superstitiously i flip the key the other way and then it works, prolly not how to fix it, but i haven't gotten stranded yet (knock on wood)

I spoke to the dealer today after trying air compressor, powder graphit, with no luck. Spoke to the service rep discussed the situation and what took place in Cody installing the toggle swicth to elementate the ignition. Service rep asked me to bring the bike by (after he spoke with the west coast honda rep) to confirm the problem and to make sure that it was not caused by someone trying to steal the bike. After he inspected the condition of the ignition, he ordered a new one that should be here in a few days at no charge. The only bad thing is the key will not match the other 2 locks on the bike.

oh well, he did say this has happened a few other times and the last time that it happened it was to a vfr.

later steve

Another option may be to have a locksmith take a go at it, that way the key would still match the rest of the bike.

All that would need to be done would be disassemble it, and either clean the lock, or replace the tumblers.

Could the dealer not have the new lock coded? I'd at least request that option.

Question,

has anyone had problems with your key going into the ingnition but not able turn to start your bike, tried both keys?  It's the shits when this takes place in Cody, WY!

Don't believe a word of this,me thinks Steve just faded and wanted to stay behind with the wemen :lol: Jeff

Question,

has anyone had problems with your key going into the ingnition but not able turn to start your bike, tried both keys?  It's the shits when this takes place in Cody, WY!

Don't believe a word of this,me thinks Steve just faded and wanted to stay behind with the wemen :lol: Jeff

Yeah, Jeff I was wondering the same thing. He sure smiled alot

for a guy who just missed a ride with "the boys" ???

LOL cal

I've had the same problem with my '00.

Used compressed air then shot some graphite in the hole and worked the key in and out. I still occasionally have to wiggle the key a bit to get it in but it's infinitely better than it was. Tumbler problem was my guess too.

Now that I think about it........When the 3 girls walked by me and told me Steve was still in the back cabin, they did have a big smile on there faces!

Anything you want to tell all of us there Steve????? :wink:

• 3 weeks later...

Have a 2001, had to remove ignition key with pliers yesterday. After close inspection I noticed that the key had a slight bend....straightened that out, now key turns in Ing no probs.

Right after I bought my TL1000, I was out on a ride, and was unable to get the key to work. It would go in the ignition, but would not turn. There was a gun store close by, so I went in there to see if they had a little oil, or graphite. The gunsmith came out to help. We tried lube, and compressed air. No help.. We checked for a bent key, but it was straight. There were burrs on the key, so we got a file, and cleaned up the key. Still no help. We looked at the key a little closer, to see if there were any more burrs, and found the problem. The gunsmith asked my why my key said "Honda" on it. I had both sets of keys in my pocket, and had grabbed the wrong one. Both keys had identical key fobs. (since changed)

Some days, it just doesn't pay to get out of bed....

Joe

regarding what wires, there are three wires that connect to the ignition

a blue w/ orange, red w/ black and a solid red. I have the solid red on the one side of the togle switch and the other two on the other. I believe the red w/ black goes to the fuel pump and is powered as well when connected to the solid red. Damn if anyone wanted to steal one it sure would be easy.

So the dealer calls me up and said the new ignition is in and to bring the bike in today. Great, go there drop my bike off and get a call back a few hours later and wouldn't you know it they ordered the wrong part, a 99 not a 2002. The difference is the steering lock does not match up.

To top it off when they were trying to install the new ignition they cut away some length off the current wires and when they try to correct this again I am going to be a little concern if there is going to be enough length remaining for the ignition. Can hardly wait for this fucking thing to raise it's fucking head.