CBR1100XX.org Forum

94 octane

platnuumboy

I run sunoco 94 octane at all times. The only time I will use something different is if I am stuck too far from a station. If I use anything else I can feel a significant loss in performance. Sometimes I even have a miss and sputter. I do get 45 miles to the gallon on 94 sunoco and that seems to be better than what I have been seeing in other posts. But I have also seen people using 89 octane and still happy with their performance. Do I have an issue with my bike that I cannot use lower octane?

The ONLY reason to use a high octane fuel is if you are running an advanced ign. curve (PowerCommander) or have a modified engine. Otherwise you are TOTALLY throwing you money away.

edit... Try to get your fuel from the same reputable staion as much as possible. I noticed that my gas mileage in my truck sucked when I was getting my fuel from this one placed and my mileage improved drasically when I switched stations. FWIW

Running less that 87 octane WILL slow your performance, there's no getting around it. It's a simple fact that the amount of maoney saved will increase the weight in your pocket thus casuing a direct correlation to the acceleration of the bike.

Unless you are racing professional or just doing dyno runs constantly there is no need to run anything higher than 87. If you got a knock I would try mid grade and see if it helps. Save your money..

87 has lofted my front wheel under pure throttle and sent me blasting past 150 countless times..

Running less that 87 octane WILL slow your performance, there's no getting around it. It's a simple fact that the amount of maoney saved will increase the weight in your pocket thus casuing a direct correlation to the acceleration of the bike.

OCTANE DOES NOT = HP!! no way around that arguement. Shitty gas will slow performance but not octane.

OCTANE DOES NOT = HP!! no way around that arguement. Shitty gas will slow performance but not octane.

You're half right, Rick. :)

Higher octane will not get you more hp, unless you're engine's modified (ignition advancer, higher compression, etc.).

In those cases, lower octane will effect hp. My engine can tolerate 87, but will give the occasional knock, and definitely notice the difference in power.

I'm also running 13.5:1 compression :shock:

Has platnuumboy checked his plugs? Might be as simple as worn plugs, or the improper heat range plugs installed.

The XX in stock form runs just fine on 87 octane fuel.

Pete in Pa uses 115 octane. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Nope, I dynoed yesterday with 87.

It was funny, you could smell the race and AV gas a LOT of people had in their bikes for the dyno day.

TOTAL waste of money.

The only gas that will boost performance is the oxygenated race fuel like Ultimate 4. It's expensive and if your motor isn't set up for it it could make it run lean because of the extra oxygen molecule in the fuel. A friend of mine used to run it in his bird and got like 8 more horsepower out of the Ultimate 4, but his PC 3 was professionally set up to run it. He now runs 116 octane race fuel because he's spraying a wet shot of nitrous. Normal pump gas from 87 to 93 octane won't show a difference in performance in a stock motor like Northman said. If you've got some mods like the advanced ignition or increased compression, you'll need the extra octane but if not, you're just spending extra money you don't need to.

When 99 FI bike came out ,Roadracing World,very fine publication,run Hayabusa vs Honda comparo.They also analysed honda `s fuel injector system,and did couple dyno runs on 87 and 92 oct gas.Higher octane gas allowed bike to make 2-3 more horses and throttle response was inproved.Those are the facts.I do agree on principle that higher octane does not increase power by itself,but if F.I. sustem and ignition can utilize that, power and fuel economy will improve.Many times bike gets compression ratio that is too high for the best power, that may improve fuel economy,but ignition timing has to be retarded to avoid detonation under full power.

Using high octane gas will allow, in this case, to advance timing where it suppose to be, for the best power.But it has to have knock sensor and system has to able to retune by itself.

On carb bike with simple ignition system, don`t bother.

I`m running full yosh ,pc2 with 93 octane map.Couple years ago I had to get some cheap,no name 87 oct gas,went only 150 miles instead usuall for condition 180 before fuel light.

I always run premium fuel, so it will run cooler and have better throttle response.

I have noticed a difference in BP/Amoco vs. Chevron premium however. BP/Amoco gives better throttle reponse, and better mileage. I have gotten 204 miles out of one tank using BP/Amoco and 186 from Chevron. Still had about 1/2-3/4 gallon left in tank. This was on 2 lane mountain and some superslab at high, but constant speed.

FWIW, I wouldn't run regular fuel in any high revving, high performance motor.

I have also noted that my 95 Ford Ranger with a 3 liter V6 runs like crap on regular, better on mid grade, and excellent (especially for emission tests!) premium fuel.

What say you, eh?

You're half right, Rick. :)

Higher octane will not get you more hp, unless you're engine's modified (ignition advancer, higher compression, etc.).

In those cases, lower octane will effect hp. My engine can tolerate 87, but will give the occasional knock, and definitely notice the difference in power.

I'm also running 13.5:1 compression :shock:

The XX in stock form runs just fine on 87 octane fuel.

That's what I was saying in a nutshell in my first post. :wink:

I run high test cause I live in the sticks and I'm not sure how long the gas as been sitting.   When I'm down south I run regular.

I would think that premium fuel sits longer than the standards.

The FI birds run fine on 87 because they have a knock sensor that retards the timing a small amoun on the first or second knock(pre ignition) before a human can even notice it. With the higher octane it is less likely the timing will have to be retarded to eliminate knocking , there for a little bit more power can be gained with higher octane(i dont imagine the stock engine management system would be tuned to taked advanatage of any more octane then is avaliable at a regular gas station)

Herb

I always run premium fuel, so it will run cooler and have better throttle response.

Generally speaking, premium fuel has a hotter flame and will act more lean because it's less flamable than lower octane fuel.

Mike

I have just bought a new set of plugs. I went ahead and got the iridium plugs even though I read someone said they wouldn't help carbed bikes. The post that ststed that a carbed bike couldn't retard for preignition makes sense. I think I will also check timing. I believe the bike was raced before I bought it. I bought in with a salvage title with only 4650 miles. So, I don't know the history of the bike and that is a little troublesome. I have put 20,000 miles since I got it and haven't changed plugs, yet. That may be the simplest explanation. I just dread pulling the damn thing all the way apart to change plugs. It's supposed to rain all night tonight and tomorrow. So, I have plenty of downtime. I'll post results Wednesday. Thanks for the help.

The iridium plugs don't care HOW the fuel gets to them. they help both FI and carbed equally. I've got the Iridiums in my 98. Plan to run them for at least 25K miles since long life, install and forget, is their best asset.

With a torid history on your bike like that, I would have tore it down and checked EVERYTHING but that's just me.

I have just bought a new set of plugs.  I went ahead and got the iridium plugs even though I read someone said they wouldn't help carbed bikes.  The post that ststed that a carbed bike couldn't retard for preignition makes sense.  I think I will also check timing.  I believe the bike was raced before I bought it.  I bought in with a salvage title with only 4650 miles.  So, I don't know the history of the bike and that is a little troublesome.  I have put 20,000 miles since I got it and haven't changed plugs, yet.  That may be the simplest explanation.  I just dread pulling the damn thing all the way apart to change plugs.  It's supposed to rain all night tonight and tomorrow.  So, I have plenty of downtime.  I'll post results Wednesday.  Thanks for the help.

It's not that tough if you do it this way:

http://www.superblackbird.com/spark1.cfm

Didn't get that last post in time. Stripped the whole bike according to Honda manual. But, That did the trick. I am able to raise the front by only rolling the throttle in at least first and second. Also, I forgot I took the gearing back to factory this winter. That also had a bearing on more sluggish low rpm throttle. Duh. Back to happy XX :lol: