CBR1100XX.org Forum

Modifying stock pipes?

ZeeBeast

On my ZRX, a 3/4-inck drill bit opened the exhaust baffle a bit producing a nice mellow sound just slightly louder than stock. Has anyone drilled a set of XX cans? Looks like a 14" reach would get through the first (only?) baffle from the exhaust end of the pipe. Comments, suggestions. Right now a $600-$800 set of aftermarket cans is not an option. :roll:

Right now a $600-$800 set of aftermarket cans is not an option

You can pick up a wide variety of sets off of ebay, or the for-sale section here for a 200-300

much lighter weight and better looking.

Think Zee's looking for a stealthy pipe. Nothing very loud but deeper than stock. He rode mine the other day with the baffles out and mine was a bit too loud for his tastes. We put the baffles and plugs back in and he liked it. With my baffles and plugs in, it's louder than stock but not as loud as most aftermarket cans.

Over on the BIRD site in England they have a can autopsey where they cut the stock cans apart. I'll go and fetch a link for it. Kinda cool.

Thanks Donnie. A picture is worth a thousand words. Those are worthy several thousand words! Looks like the plate that you encounter by poking a rod about 12" up the pipe is that one right on the exit side of the grid plate (A1) and does not have a designation in the pics. Bet that bitch is made from Ti or something harder though. Maybe I can get the shops to weld me up a 1/4" and then a 3/4" bit to some extension rods and make a penetration (uhmmmm, "penetration"..........) . :D

Hey Byrdman, how did you accomplish the mod and what size opening did you put in?

Hey Byrdman, how did you accomplish the mod and what size opening did you put in?

It looks like he drilled 3, 1/2" holes in a triangle and that wasn't quite loud enough, so he punched out the middle of them... I currently have those cans, and they really sound pretty nice! They're about as loud as my '85 Nighthawk 700S was from the factory... Loud enough to hear the exhaust, but not annoyingly loud... Quieter than many slip-ons...

Mike

I actually didn't drill the holes, I punched them.

I used a 30" long piece if 1/2" solid steel rod. I sharpened the hell out of the end and hit it with a hammer. The plate in the muffler is just mild steel so piercing it wasn't that difficult.

Nope dude, none of us will bid against you. Would be silly to run up the bidding to try and get it, knowing you want it.

Happy bidding!

I really appreciate that, but I'm sure I'll be outbid soon by someone whether they're from this board or not.

I only made a small initial bid and not my max....... I usually wait until the end for that. :twisted:

It's not like I really need them, but would certainly take them for cheap.

So you punched through the perforated plate only and it got louder?? Or did you punch through to the solid plate?

I've been thinking of trying this and the canectomy pics help.

Zeebeast, keep us updated on what you do. Thanks.

So you punched through the perforated plate only and it got louder?? Or did you punch through to the solid plate?

I've been thinking of trying this and the canectomy pics help.

Zeebeast, keep us updated on what you do. Thanks.

I am assuming he came in from the exhaust end of the cannister and just penetrated the last solid baffle.

Good tip on the extensions. The local machinist/welder will tack a rod on a bit for me for free though. It'll be a couple of weeks before I have the time to hit the cans. Will post my impressions of the mod.

stock system weighs 42 pounds...

Aftermarket Micron Race Zeta... 14...

does anybody know if 42 lbs is for non-catalytic converter stock? I would assume converter version is even heavier.