CBR1100XX.org Forum

Sprockets

wadem

If anyone is interested this is there phone number that was given to me.

630-584-8666 the guys name was alex. I have not called yet (still trying to decide if I can afford it). If anyone calls and gets places an order let me know. Thanks

http://www.sprocketcenter.com/detail.aspx?ID=479

Use the link above if you're really hung up on getting an aluminum sprocket with steel teeth. I think they offer 530 as well which would be a must. Limited sizes though.

Every one here talking mileage and lifespan of their drivetrain should be taken with a grain of salt. Sure, an individual will get more miles from a steel sprocket than aluminum. Everyone knows that. But how well someone takes care of the chain and sprockets will go a long way in determining it's lifespan.

For example, having the chain even slightly over tightened on an aluminum sprocket can eat it up in a few hundred miles.

Do you drag race, do you wheelie lots, do you keep the chain clean and lubed?

I'm just saying there's lots of variables when you talk about things like chains, sprockets, and tires.

Also, under normal circumstances you should replace the sprockets and chain at the same time. There's no use running a brand new chain on worn sprockets or vice versa.

Thanks for the link. I checked it out and they do have a 530 stealth but only on 41 and 42 teeth. I email them to see about other sizes.

As far as the rest of it goes I don't drag race or wheelie (had a dirtbike for that) :)

My current chain is still well in the green but it has a few tight spots and makes a little noise now. Not bad for 25,000km

• 9 months later...

I just read that a 44 tooth sprocket with mess with your wear indicator? I have been looking around to replace my chain since I adjusted it last night and it was well past the replace chain mark - but I also noted a 44 stamped on my rear sprocket. Otherwise, the chain does not seem too bad - was giving it a good clean, lubing and noticed a few kinks that I worked free. Bike has 15k km's on the clock, bought it 6mths ago with 5,700 on the clock.

Questions are:

1. How do you know when to replace the chain (besides stretch / wear indicator)

2. What is the stock sprocket sizes for the 2003 'Bird?

3. What chain do people recommend and going prices?

I am planning to leave this coming week-end for my around Australia trip so want to make sure everything is sweet before I leave.

Mick

1. How do you know when to replace the chain (besides stretch / wear indicator)

Go by the wear indicator and check for popping and loose links. The chains seem to last 20 to 25,000 miles when maintained properly

2. What is the stock sprocket sizes for the 2003 'Bird?

17 front 45 rear in the U.S.

3. What chain do people recommend and going prices?

I put on a RK GB530 GXW. I bought mine off another board member.

I am planning to leave this coming week-end for my around Australia trip so want to make sure everything is sweet before I leave.

If in doubt change it. they tend to wear real fast when they get near the end of their service life. If it decides to let loose you just lost your engine case :cry:

Have a great trip and post some pics 8)

I have made a couple of calls for quotes at dealers in Melbourne, only 3 hours away, and was quoted AUD$283 for the DID chain and $239 for a regina chain, and $50 for install.

You guys don't know how lucky you are in the USA. Will keep shopping around for a bit. The Honda dealer said 44 was the stock sprocket size.

Thanks for the quick reply, think I will change replace the chain, mainly for peace of mind as I don't want to be stuck in the middle of nowhere on a broken 'bird.

Will take heaps of pics :)

Mick

Guest rockmeupto125

In different countries, different sprockets were supplied as stock.

Here in the US of A, we got 45 tooth, and 45 tooth only. And one color per year. Blue was never available in the states...neither was the green.

We can supply the Stealth sprocket here from South Africa, pricing isn't that bad. Will have to find out about postage.

45 rear Stealth is approx USD 80.00

These are the alloy with titanium teeth.

Various sizes available.

Gun Metal Grey / Charcoal

Black

Blue

Maroon or Wine Red

Silver

These are the ones we can get here.

In different countries, different sprockets were supplied as stock.

Here in the US of A, we got 45 tooth, and 45 tooth only. And one color per year. Blue was never available in the states...neither was the green.

The Australian models get a 44 tooth rear as standard, and usually a choice of colours every year. The colour choices this year were Matt Black limited edition (limited to how many they could sell?), Metalic Black, two tone Blue and I think, a straight Blue(THE FASTEST :D ) . No red this year :( . Never seen or heard of a green :?