CBR1100XX.org Forum

Tire advise

GimPin

ok i am in need of new tires soon and want some opinions .... my brother had a GSXR 1100 and he swears by metzler (sp) mez1 tire and advise on this tire?? I also am wondering if a 190 will fit on the back and if anybody has done it and what their experience with it was? I am trying to hook up and it just isnt working too well anyhelp would be great

Thanks

Danie

Stick with the 180, and many different riders prefer different tires.

Dig up one of the old tire threads around here (there are about 30 to choose from........ :roll: ), and see what most of us recommend.

BTW, welcome to the forum.

As Northman stated, many have different brands, but the Metz M1 are really good, they stick like glue, but it will last about 3k miles or a bit more, I really like them. About the size, I have use 190 and slow you down, not worth it at all.

metzler (sp) mez1 tire and advise on this tire??

Those things are crap! I flat-tracked my last bike through an intersection thanks to those pieces of shit. Just get the Avons. Every tire is a compromise (life/traction/handling), Avon just came up with the most pleasant combination with little compromised of each.

ok from the research I have done it looks like everybody is leaning to the Avon 45/46 just want to know how the performance of the tire on a hard launch or under heavy acceleration ... this is my main concern... I dont want wheel spin when I try dump the clutch....

ok from the research I have done it looks like everybody is leaning to the Avon 45/46 just want to know how the performance of the tire on a hard launch or under heavy acceleration ... this is my main concern... I dont want wheel spin when I try dump the clutch....

The Metzeler MEZ4 will do anything that the Avons will do. :lol:

the performance of the tire on a hard launch or under heavy acceleration

I don't do that but I wheelie all the time. When it is cold it will slip a bit. Once mildly warmed, it won't.

• 2 months later...

Guys here are often quacking about the M1 Sportec this, that, the other thing. I have a story.

Granted, I’ve never used them on the Blackbird. I see no point installing aggressive street/trackday tires on a Nimitz-Class Motorcycle ® . Many of you guys do, however, proving once again there are many braver and/or dumber than me out there. Have a swell time.

I like Metzeler, I really do, and run one on the rear of my ZX. They don’t dominate like the ‘80’s, though. Guess every dog has his day. These days Bridgestone has supersport car (S03) and bike (BT012SS) locked up, in my mind, but YMMV.

Two issues with the M1, one minor, the other not: first, they wear out quickly if one mixes in street riding. That’s not a big deal, but the BT012SS, every bit the match of an M1, can last twice as long. Tires aren’t cheap.

Second: I watched a kid on an ’03 ZX-6R find the limits of the Sportecs at Pacific Raceways the other week (track near Seattle, WA). He didn’t crash, due to luck and skill, but was ready to spit at Hitler after the tires repeatedly failed him.

I also have an ’03 ZX636R, with Pirelli Supercorsa/Rennsports on both ends (same tire). I pitted with this young man.

He’s faster than me by about five seconds per lap, basically slow A Group pace. His tires held up great about fifty laps, but as the track warmed significantly in the early afternoon (hot day), the front began to push and rear slide. He had a couple “moments” on the Sportecs, sliding the rear (not so easy to do on a 105 rwhp motorcycle. Nevertheless…) With race tires, I had no issues all day. The new ZX is exceptionally easy on tires, due probably to low weight and modest horsepower.

To be clear, at ‘B’ Group pace, I don’t recall anyone mentioning issues with the Sportecs. My buddy, a B Group type, runs them on an ’02 R1. He crashed by augering in a peg last time out, not the fault of the tire TTBOMK. Otherwise the M1s held up great about two track days, then became a bit greasy.

Point is, fellas, these tires have limits and seem to reach them without a lot of warning. I hope no one finds these limits 1) on a Blackbird and 2) on the street, but there’ll always be a few I suppose. When riding like Mladin, use race tires. Or, “don’t bring a knife to a gunfight.”