CBR1100XX.org Forum

Squeaky front suspension?

PGA XX

Well, I bit the bullet and got the Race Tech valves/springs installed yesterday. What an improvement! :grin: Like many have said here the change is instantly noticeable. There is one thing that is bugging me though. When I apply the front brake and the forks compress, there is a terrible squeak. It sounds like a pogo stick. I'm hoping it's just the new springs, but it still doesn't seem right. Other than the noise, there doesn't seem to be anything functionally wrong.

Thanks,

Lance

What sort of sound is the squeak? Is it metal on metal or somerhing else. Could you give me more idea on the "nature" of the squeaking sound to help work out what's going wrong? There could be many causes of it, including not putting the forks back on the bike properly, getting them slightly twisted etc.

That's definitely one thing on my mind - may have gone too heavy on the fork oil and the squealing is from the fluid attempting to force it's way through the valves, but I wanted to get more info from him first without offering a possible cause (trying to lead him to a conclusion about the source).

Sorry guys, I was getting "invalid_session" for the longest time when I was trying to post a reply. I rebooted, and it seems to have been fixed. (Sorry for bugging you Swampnut :oops: )

The weight of the oil is 5w

Back to the squeak. It sounds like someone is jumping on a pogo stick, or a squeaky bed spring. It sounds like "EEEEEEEOOOOOOOO" :???: , if that makes sense.

Lance

from the sounds of what your trying to describe, like a spring squeak (pogo stick) it is probably just the springs rubbing against the inside of the fork legs, which to a point is normal and ok. but I would check it out if its bad, or have a mechanic check it out if you arent sure. I could come over some time and check it out for ya. you are so close to palomar mountain it would be worth the ride.

It sounds like the springs aren't centered in the forks. It's tricky to do but as you put the cap on do the best you can to center them as you put tension on them as you start to tighten the cap. Try it again and you might just get lucky! The other thing is if you cut your spacers less than perpendicular that could put the spring askew and cause your problem.

Just a couple more ideas!!

Alan

Thanks for the info guys. I am using Internet Explorer so I can post. This fucking invalid_session shit is pissing me off.

SD Marc: I got it done @ Escondido Cycle Center. They have a self proclaimed Race Tech expert and claims to have done this mod to a few XX's in the past.

I guess it is the springs rubbing inside to fork tubes. I'm going down there tues. to get this fixed. For what I paid I don't think it should be making this sound. :mad: Also, the dumbfuck put my lower left reflector on backwards and while turning right into a parking space the reflector caught my fairing and I almost laid it over. It didn't do any damage to fairing, but did pop out the body clip. I'm just going to have him remove the fucking things like I should have done in the first place.

so did they fix it? its wednesday and was wondering if ole escondido cycle center took care of there customer! hope so, expect a email from me when I get done moving so we can go for a ride.. I want to see how these revalved forks of yours work for myself!

Update on squeak:

It is definately going away. I guess the springs just needed breaking in, and the guy at the shop said it is definately normal.

For anyone considering this mod it is well worth it. The difference is dramatic. It will be the first mod I do to any bike I have in the future.

Thanks for all the help everyone. I really appreciate the it.

Let's go ride Jimmy when you get settled.

Lance