CBR1100XX.org Forum

The end of Mobil 1 15-50 as we know it???

Pete in PA

At Wal-Mart tonight I saw that Mobil 1 has a new 15-50w out. It had a gold cap. I wonder if it has any nasty crap in it for our bikes? Maybe on their web site it might tell us something. It was $23 something.

I just went to their site and here is what is says: What is the difference between Mobil 1® Extended Performance and the currently available Mobil 1?

Mobil 1 Extended Performance formulas are designed specifically for today's longer service intervals and are guaranteed to protect for up to 15,000 miles or one year.

Mobil 1 Extended Performance has a unique formulation with boosted level of protection and performance. These formulations with the Advanced SuperSyn System contain 50 percent more SuperSyn, 36 percent more anti-wear additives, and 37 percent more cleaning agents than the current Mobil 1.

I'm looking for a new oil. I'm not running the new Mobil 1 extended stuff. If for nothing else the price went up (again)

Was going to stock up on the old stuff but it's gone at my 2 Wal-marts.

Been thinking of the Mobil Delvac 1300. I know it's not a synthetic, but it's probably the best non-synthetic. It meets my price goals. I change oil at 4K miles anyway. Anyone running this? How's it work and shift?

I looked at the new stuff yesterday also. It doesn't say that its "energy conserving" so I don't know if it changed that much or if its just a way to up the price. I'll probably still use it in the quad since the trans. and the engine oil are separate but not the bike.

15w50 is just too thick for modern high reving watercooled motorcycle engine,5w/40 is better suited anyway,no reason to cry.

I don`t get it,some guys spend 6-8 hundred bucks for slip-ons,gain 3-4 hp,and then waste all that by running 15w/50.

I agree 100%

I also don't get how people complain about oil prices & spark plug replace intervals, when we're changing rear tires with every other oil change (at least).

FWIW, manufacturers use longer oil change intervals & longer spark plug life under pressure by the EPA only. Longer lasting oil means less waste oil, and longer spark plug life means the vehicle stays within emission standards for longer periods, which the manufacturers have to guarantee. 5 years, 85K miles it's up to the manufacturer to guarantee emissions.

I can also buy AC Delco platinum plugs, no problem, from any of my jobbers. Might just be the store where you tried to buy them, Pete.

Iridium's are a better plug, though. Hotter spark as the iridium has less resistance than platinum does. Any sign of wear on a platinum or iridium plug means the plug has long since been toast. The whole purpose of the coating is to reduce wear. Once the coating is gone, so is the plug.

As for oil, I used Syntec 5-50 for the first time this last trip, and it seems to work well, although my shifting was off compared to before (neutrals). I had been using Castrol Superbike oil during the break-in, and the shifting was the slickest I'd ever experienced, but attributed that to the new engine & trans overhaul.

I also ran the rearsets for the first time on this last trip, so not sure if that had anything to do with the shifting, either. As well as the Superbike oil performed, I'd still feel better with a full synthetic, as long as it doesn't break the bank to put it in there.

I also change the dino oil more often than the synthetic (2K miles vs. 3k or so).

Chris, Did you get the whole story? I bought AC Delco iridium plugs for my 98 Lumina LTZ and the porcelin part said AC Delco, the steel part said NGK. :lol:

SO when my Monte needs plugs I'll just get NGK, same thing.

As far as complaining about oil prices, that's something I can control. Tire prices/wear I can't. :cry:

I just refinanced my house after 10 years paid on it (sucks) to free up some monthly cash. Maybe them I can afford my hobby more.

Yeah, I got that :)

NGK plugs are probably one of the best, IMO. Maybe second to Denso, but I was just trying to say that the AC Delco platinums are still available, if that's the route you wanted to go.

Hey,Northman,as for absolutly highest hp oil try that Mobil 1 0W/40 if you can find it.I used that last year on my track 99r1.One trip to the redline told the whole story,more freaking power.I have had number of cbr 1000 and gxsr 1000 guys came up to me and "Dude,what have you done to your bike,that thing is f**king fast"Well not much,bumped compression,deg. cams,some airbox mods and a pipe.I did got smoked by 04 r1,never saw zx10 on the track.

It does vaporise and thickens much faster,needs to be changed more often.I did not have any clutch slip,but your results may vary,also I`m not sure I really would want to use it on my road bikes,there is more noise from valvetrain.

A friend of mine runs Kawasaki Canada's Superbike team.

He says they run 0W20 oil in their race bikes. Good for a 6hp gain, but has to be changed every weekend. By the end of race 2 & practices, the engines are noticeably louder. :shock:

• 1 month later...

this may be proof enough but if it is not there are many if you do a search

for amsoil/amway really does not mater to me other than i have had many friends who went down the amway route to ruin and am as against it as any pyramid scheme ripoff of people who are down and out and looking for a way to survive

what really maters to me is that this is a great company and great oil and they have been slandered with this kind of misrep.

use what you want and what works for you but you are missing out on a great deal if you are misinformed and dont do your research in this or any other myths

sorry if i am ranting but this has bothered me for weeks and i have to get it off my chest

feel better now but will be watching

I have heard that from MANY sources, incluing Amway people themselves. A few years ago Amway, knowing it's name was synonomous for deception, decided it was best to form a side company which sold the same products under a diferent name, also trying to shun the reputation it had... this I know due to several people calling me trying to recruit me (and, of course, my wife at the time). Ask Amway people, or those who sell it and they MAY tell you, or they may wish to not assume association with Amway by divulging. I have several people from teh ST forum that have ofered to seel this to me but I will stay with Mobil 1, not because I believe it's the best but because it works fine and it's simple to change out every 5K.. I wouldn't hesitate in using Rotella, Castrol Syntec, or others once my Mobil 1 runs out.

AMSOIL - "Amway's oil". Supposedly a great product, many think better than Mobil 1 or equivalents, but I am again told that it is a product of Amway so I have NO interest in supporting even if it is the cure for cancer, world hunger, and swarms of locust.

http://www.performanceoiltechnology.com/al...o_interview.htm

At Wal-Mart tonight I saw that Mobil 1 has a new 15-50w out.  It had a gold cap.  I wonder if it has any nasty crap in it for our bikes? Maybe on their web site it might tell us something.   It was $23 something.

I just went to their site and here is what is says:    What is the difference between Mobil 1® Extended Performance and the currently available Mobil 1?  

Mobil 1 Extended Performance formulas are designed specifically for today's longer service intervals and are guaranteed to protect for up to 15,000 miles or one year.  

Mobil 1 Extended Performance has a unique formulation with boosted level of protection and performance. These formulations with the Advanced SuperSyn System contain 50 percent more SuperSyn, 36 percent more anti-wear additives, and 37 percent more cleaning agents than the current Mobil 1.

Well, I sure as fuck hope it is OK to use this stuff because the last time I changed oil, the local AutoZone was out of the old Red Cap and only stocked the new Gold Cap. 1000 miles later I can't tell a difference. I guess if I screwed something up I'll know later.

I just had a local dealer deliver some Amsoil at 5.95 plus 3%tax to my door. I guess that's reasonable.

Hooooowee does that stuff kick ass :grin: I've been on dino oil my whole life and I'll never go back. PLus I have the piece of mind that it's actually "motorcycle oil" even if it's the same product as the car stuff:roll:

Well I've made MY decision (for now) I bought 2 jugs of Castrol GTX 10W-40 on sale at Wal Mart. That's right NOT synthetic.

Haven't run it yet, still some more miles to go on the M1 in the bike. If I don't like it, I'll continue searching.

I just had a local dealer deliver some Amsoil at 5.95 plus 3%tax to my door.  I guess that's reasonable.

Hooooowee does that stuff kick ass :grin: I've been on dino oil my whole life and I'll never go back.  PLus I have the piece of mind that it's actually "motorcycle oil" even if it's the same product as the car stuff:roll:

You can get it for the same price from the website (don't know about shipping). Too lazy to look up the site url but just google amsoil. I like the stuff alot. The site explains the differenced between their Auto and MC oil plus lots of other good info on their product.

Well I've made MY decision (for now) I bought 2 jugs of Castrol GTX 10W-40 on sale at Wal Mart. That's right NOT synthetic.  

Haven't run it yet, still some more miles to go on the M1 in the bike. If I don't like it, I'll continue searching.

I'm convinced that the XX will run with a handful of sand for lubrication. If you change it every 3000 miles Castrol GTX will probably perform just as well as anything else.

I'm convinced that the XX will run with a handful of sand for lubrication. If you change it every 3000 miles Castrol GTX will probably perform just as well as anything else.

3000 miles? That's a lot of time for a car oil to be running thru your transmission.