CBR1100XX.org Forum

Fork springs

scubajohn

Front Shock Springs

Ok I am going to splurge on some front shock springs. I weigh in at 230 but am losing :) I plan to be down to 220 within 2 months. The RT website shows I should use a 1.051 spring. They are out of stock and have been told by the supplyer for the last 3 months we will have some next month.And they just keep getting told next month.

So I was wondering should I wait or should I go with the .95 springs they have in stock ? I am totaly cluless about spring rates shocks and even how to instlall them but my riding buddy has installed them and says its a peice of cake.

Thanks for your info

You'd want to go at least with the 1.0kg/mm springs. 0.95 would be way too soft for you and you won't be able to bring up the preload enough with spacers to get the right value. With a 1.0 spring, you can get pretty close. Plus, don't just look to the RT site. See if any of your local suspension shops have them, or someone like Dan Kyle, Traxxion etc.

I'm the same weight as you want to be, and I have the 1.0's installed without the valves.

It is sprung well now, but you'll want the valves done shortly after.

The .95's are definitely too soft, IMHO.

Same as Chris said: I'm 220 and have the 1.0 springs and you do NOT want any less than that! Either be patient or look harder for someone who has them in stock, but don't settle for the wrong product! What's the point? The stock springs are supposedly .89 kg/cm, so .95 would be a waste.

MHO only, and worth every cent you paid for it!

:)

Alan

Hummm they emailed me and said with my weight and weight of bike I should go with a 1.10 spring ??? any comments ? or they said if I understood right go with 1 at 1.10 and the other at 1.0 so it combines to 1.05 spring rate ?

A 1.1 seems a little on the stiff side, and I've never heard of mixing springs to get a desired effect before, either. :???:

If I had to buy my springs again, I *might* try a 1.05, but I am still more than happy with the 1.0's.

I suggest you use a much stiffer spring

than that. We don't follow RT's chart. We have 1.0s in stock, and 1.10s.

We can set you up with one of each spring for a combined rate of 1.05. This

would be much better. To be honest, I would suggest you consider the 1.10s.

How much does that bike weigh wet?

this is there answer to my asking about a 1.0 spring

Well, if you decide to go with the 1.1's, then you'll be our guinea pig.

I'm sure if you don't like them, someone else here would be happy to try them out.

I would still stick with 2 matching springs vs. mixing them, IMHO.