CBR1100XX.org Forum

Bathroom Remodel... Need Ideas/Suggestions

N1K

Ok, the last piece of my interior remodel is the bathroom downstairs..

I can't decide what to do... Right now the entire bathroom is the original 1926 large tile-walls, small tile floor, Cast-iron tub/sink.

So I'm gonna gut it completely...

Here's some other interior pictures of my house so you can get a feel for the style of my house...

Kitchen.. (yes I've replaced that ugly light with a brushed metal ceiling fan. :wink:

38674651.jpg

Upstairs...

38674650.jpg

Bar/Dining room that you've all seen before...

38674652.jpg

I'm thinking I'd like to do tongue and groove cedar walls in the bathroom. (the backspash in the kitchen is all tongue and groove cedar. I'd do the same on the walls in the bathroom) Stain that a clear stain color... The floor tile I already have picked out. (same as the rest of the downstairs..)

Here is the current bathroom:

38674653.jpg

So I'm thinking I will get a deep black tub... Do the walls tongue and groove cedar (leave the ceiling the same, just paint it white...)

New toilet.. (do they make black toilets????)

And new sink. I was thinking pedestal sink.. But I'm not sure if a white pedestal sink would look ok in a bathroom?

Do they make black pedestal sinks???

Any alternative ideas...

Is Cedar in a bathroom ok????

I was planning to put tile around the bathtub (on the walls over the tub).

I can't think of any other alternatives??? You guys got any ideas for that? I don't want to just attach up those 'cheap' looking tub surrounds... But maybe that's my best bet??? I had also thought about bronze mirror as tub surround... Gay or no?????

Anyone removed one of those cast-iron tubs before??? Do I just take a sledge hammer to it???

You need a bigger bar area! :wink:

The kitchen is beautiful!

Would cedar in a bathroom eventually warp from the moisture? I don't know, I'm just asking.

It's too bad you have to scrap the iron tub. The fiberglass ones I have got cracks and seem more difficult to clean. I prefer the iron from a practical standpoint.

I have an oversized jacuzzi tub in my bathroom which cracked. Now I'm afraid to use it so it won't leak (again) into the kitchen ceiling below, and I can't afford to replace it. I hear the jacuzzi jets can leak, but I also know there's a crack in the bottom of the tub.

I've seen black toilets and sinks.

Bronze mirrors = gay? Um, yeah. I'd wonder about a guy whose home I was visiting if I knew he designed that himself.

But that's just my opinion. YMMV :lol:

To get the tube out you have to break it up w/ a sledge. Before you do that look into having it resurfaced. If the tub is in decent shape and the style is OK you can have it resurfaced for probably less than the cost of a new 'glass one and you get to keep the advantages of an iron tub.

Cedar shouldn't be a problem. I had T&G pine in my last bathroom. I'd recommend a decent sized exhaust fan to keep moisture levels down. Having smelled some of the stuff that comes out of your ass, I think that would be a good idea anyway. :shock:

Do you shower w/ that window there? Looks like rot waiting to happen. Will the tub/shower get used much?

They make toilets and sinks in black. Anything in color costs more than white though, and probably be special order.

Do you shower w/ that window there? Looks like rot waiting to happen.

Agree. Wood framed windows (especially a double hung unit) and showers mix poorly from what I've seen. Have you considered glass block for that?

Cedar, properly sealed, should be okay for the walls, but I'd hesitate to (okay, I just plain wouldn't) use it in the shower itself. Black tile to match the tub maybe?

Have you considered glass block for that?

Actually yes, I was gonna eventually put glass block in for that window...

To get the tube out you have to break it up w/ a sledge. Before you do that look into having it resurfaced. If the tub is in decent shape and the style is OK you can have it resurfaced for probably less than the cost of a new 'glass one and you get to keep the advantages of an iron tub.

Ya know... You're the second one to mention that... Maybe I should look into getting it resurfaced... What do they do? Come into my house and sand it all up and then resurface it???

God, it would save a shinola-load of work if I didn't have to rip that puppy out.. :???:

Cedar, properly sealed, should be okay for the walls, but I'd hesitate to (okay, I just plain wouldn't) use it in the shower itself. Black tile to match the tub maybe?

Yeah, I mean they make sauna's out of cedar don't they????

I thought about the possibility of putting the cedar around the tub too, but just CAN'T imagine that would be a good idea.. Direct spray of water, plus shampoo/soap splash... Just probaby wouldn't work out...

anyone every try to do-it-yourself with this bathtub refinishing stuff???

I found a local contractor that does it, but I also found this website which makes it seem like its an easy project...

http://www.refinishingonline.com/diy.htm

Anyone had a tub re-finished? Are you pleased with the results?

My aunt had one resurfaced 5-6 years ago. Still looks good but it's not in their primary bath. If you're gonna use it a lot I think about having it done. I've herd the do-it-yourself stuff isn't as durable. Got no proof of that though.

I'd keep the cedar out of the shower area too.

Black tub/sink/tile is gonna make for a dark room. Needs some yellow in there. :cool:

Yeah.. I'll probably contract it out...

Its still a huge savings over the tubs I was looking at...

can't believe the price of a fucking tub... $600 on the low end, $3,000 on the high end...

First off.... it looks as though you are becoming Cromagnum....

Me want wood everywhere....

Do you want to live in a wood cave? Ok that sounds a little harsh, sorry, what I mean is diversify!

So my suggestion is first to through out all of the ideas you have right now and classify those as untouchable.

If you want a different bathroom... you have to think differently. It's already dark and unwelcome....

Think Light.... think color.... think spring ....

You can still use the wood.... just don't kill the bathroom with excess of any one thing....

Look at these....

contemporary-10.jpg

contemporary-1.jpg

contemporary-4.jpg

traditional-1.jpg

Warm that bathroom up.... and put some really good lighting in there.

Do something that you just think is almost wildly new.

...... My .02

:grin:

First off.... it looks as though you are becoming Cromagnum....

Me want wood everywhere....

Do you want to live in a wood cave?

I like the log cabin/lodge look...

If I could, I'd tear my house down and build a log-cabin in its place...

Does that mean I'd live in a wood cave? If so, then I'll take it...

I don't want a wildly different look. And as far as the pictures you showed..

Damn man.. I'm not gay :poke:

:lol:

I appreciatte your suggestions but that's not the direction I'll be going.

I like the log cabin/lodge look...

If I could, I'd tear my house down and build a log-cabin in its place...

I don't want a wildly different look. And as far as the pictures you showed..

Damn man.. I'm not gay :poke:

:lol:

I appreciatte your suggestions but that's not the direction I'll be going.

Well... then go with the Log Cabin look, just don't overdo it. Your kitchen is beautiful, but that stairway is Blah. The stairway is overdone. Look back at those pictures I posted... notice how they all have one theme, but different areas. Like the top of the walls maybe painted differently than the bottom. Or that the Baseboards accent the Tub and Sinks.

So Maybe you could use 2 different colors of wood like Pine and Cedar, with white painted trim, with a rosewood tile floor, brass or bronze fittings for warmth, and maybe even a shower curtian and picture with some Dark red in them. Let see, a warm redwood floor working up to a Cedar base walls, and Pine or maple stands.

The stuff you want to emphasize make light, like in my first picture. the stuff you want to subdue a little make it darker, like your oven in your kitchen or the supports in my second picture.

I'm not gay either, and I would never paint my bathroom lavendar.... :bigpuke:

My point is Brake it up.... let the different parts of the bathroom have there own feeling... that way when you look at the whole thing your eyes stay entertained as you look at the different aspects of it. Like a good painting.... keeps you entertained as you look accross it, because of the different Hues, lights, darks, and textures. That's why I posted those pics.... :grin:

Here's an idea for you.... go rent some old western movies and just look at the colors and fictures in the log houses. See what you like and go with it.

Did that help to clear things up?

Kohler makes Black fixtures,and they are a bitch to keep clean. Every spot shows up on real dark anythings. Black is also a High Fashion Color, more $$$ than regular colors. If you do go the re-finish route, ask at several plumbing supply houses who they use. Not unusual for fixtures to be chipped during shipping so suppliers use these refinishers regularly. The same name will keep popping up, use that guy.

If you sledge the old tub, 3 big pieces ought to do it. Smash the side near the top of the apron first, then take the apron itself.Next is the tub floor. Watch your backswing. Wear a facesheild as the porcelain will splinter into razor sharp pieces.

Kohler makes Black fixtures,and they are a bitch to keep clean. Every spot shows up on real dark anythings. Black is also a High Fashion Color, more $$$ than regular colors.

Yeah, I'm finding out that a black toilet and sink is WAY more money then I care to spend on something I shit in, and something I spit in...

Fuck, the black is pricey!

I think I'll stick with white...

• 2 weeks later...
What about a glass block shower,

GREAT idea..

Its my only bathroom though... So I have to keep the tub (I think) for resale????

I like the idea of glass block though... Maybe I could partially enclose the tub with glass block?

• 1 month later...

Nik,

What did you decide on?

I too am starting the planning stages of a bathroom remodel.

Ebay has some awesome glass bowl sinks for CHEAP !

Rich