CBR1100XX.org Forum

Bird Temp

Klinsdon

Yesterday I was riding and got caught in a nasty traffic jam.

Damn cages cant drive worth a crap. Anyway, my birds temp ended up getting to 254 deg. F. :shock: This is the first time that I have ever seen it

above 220. I was moving just often enough to keep me from shutting down the bird.

Any suggestions or ideas?

Klins

'02 Silver Bird

You should do a search on this topic, it's been covered a couple times. WaterWetter is the answer. In your area you have to worry about freezing, so you can't just dump the anti-freeze altogether, but can probably reduce the ratio.

Good one, I'll remember WaterWetter for the Australian Summer! My bird gets warm in the perpetual traffic jams of Sydney, with the fan coming on all the bloody time...

Phil

Well, After reading all I could about Engine Ice and WaterWetter I

decided to go with Engine Ice..

Now here is my problem. I have removed the fairings and I am looking over the coolant system but I cant seem to find the coolant drain

plug. :oops: Ok, let the jokes begin. :-)

Seriously, I think I may have found it, but I dont want to just turn the wrong thing.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

"Klins"

BTW: The bird looks tiny without her fairings on....

1.Take the cap off and stand the bike upside down on her bars and seat (you may need a friend or neighbor to help you flip it).

2. Let coolant drain.

3. Shake vigorously side to side to get every last drop out.

4. Set bike upright and refill.

:grin: You're all done.

Seriously, I have no friggin idea where the drain hole is. You could use a screwdriver and make one I guess. Then you need bubble gum to close it. Now where am I going to get some bubble gum...hmm...

I suggest you check out the sticky at the top of the page called Not Automatic.

You need to remove a bolt in the water pump cover and then one for the cylender head. It looks like there is not one on the acutal radator.

It is done. Thanks everyone for your help. The bird now doesn't pass 216 as the fan kicks on and drops the temp back down to 200 and then shuts off again. It was staying at 220 idling in my driveway with the fan running consistantly... Now to get out on the road and test it in traffic.

Klins

Also if you ever get into a traffic jam and just sitting there with your asshole clenching the seat fearing of over heating do 1 of 2 things.

1. cut engine off, (if your going to be sitting a while.

or

2. rev motor to around 2k rpms this will get the water pump a turning and circulate the radiator fluid more.

oh and there is a 3rd, pull onto the shoulder and pass them all

Dave

Just drive it. Do guys believe everything your gauges tell you? When the motor is tinkling and losing power, it's overheating. Try some shit mexican gas and you'll know what I'm talking about. XX doesn't overheat unless something is wrong. Like the man said, if it worries you that much, rev it up.